Snow Puppy 020 with more apps, fonts and themes

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Peter444

#41 Post by Peter444 »

Pemasu

Thank you for your quick response, I have tried both suggestions without any success

Some further testing reveals if pfix=ram is used loading from either hard drive or live cd
results in successful auto connection to the net

If a save file is used either to live cd or hard drive the next boot does not see the active Ethernet connection

I have attached some selected relevant? info from the log file, it may be of some use to you when you are working on rc-005

pemasu

#42 Post by pemasu »

Peter444. About the log file. The dhcpcd used is the one provided by Frisbee. Using Barrys Simple Network Setup then probably is the result of failure. Maybe succesful net connection would be provided by launching Frisbee. It handles wired eth0 connections also, not only wireless connections.

Peter444

#43 Post by Peter444 »

pemasu

Booting via pfix=ram always achieves auto connection to the net

If I look at the connection wizard the default hightlighted is internet connection wizard

To change the default to frisbee means you have to make a save file, when you do this you cannot connect to the net either with frisbee or any other connection option, the message is cannot see any active interface

Dont want to waste your time I will revert to Puppy 412 and xp for the time being

Thanks

nooby

#44 Post by nooby »

Thanks Pemasu.

Maybe that is why Snow Puppy fails to get wired connection at times here.

Both simple and frisbee are activated at same time. Would they then not compete with each other. How do I shut off one of them without having to start with pfix=ram and lose all saved things.

I lost connection two times yesterday and one time today and it was inpossible to use Snow Puppy to get internet back so I am in Fluppy now and that one only show Frisbee going and not SNS as in Snow.

And I get internet instantly with Fluppy and totally failed when the error happens in Snow. Tried for some thirty minutes to get it going but had to give up using fluppy on another Acer D255 first and them after the Acer D250 cooled down using Fluppy on that one too made internet come back.

Snow when the bug or error happens do shut down the Ethernet card so it is not available for any OS to use until one shut down and take off all power and pull WAN cable and let it rest for more than 10 minutes or so and then the Ethernet card is available again so some kind of lock?

Could that not be a conflict of two programs and the card shut itself down to not get damaged?

Crazy questions but I stumble blind on foreign terrain here. :)

I guess I have to go back to Fluppy and not use Snow but I love snow better so I ask you kindly first what you think can be the reason and if I can go into some config and shut down the SNS if it compete with Frisbee?

Apart from that I just love how you set up Snow. Have used it 24/7 now since I installed it.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

pemasu

#45 Post by pemasu »

If you move to other place or remove /etc/rc.d/rc.network script file, you can try to use Frisbee only.

Frisbee handles wired and wireless connections both. Frisbee works fine without that script which initializes the old connection routines.

You can copy back that /etc/rc.d/rc.network from /initrd/pup_ro2/etc/rc.d/rc.network so just removing is quite safe.

How much this affect, I dont have clear idea, because I dont have any problems with these co-existing connection apps.
But I have realized that to some they can be real problem.

nooby

#46 Post by nooby »

Thanks I give it a try. Writing from within Snow Puppy now and it works.

But both Frisbee and the other network blinky shows up on tray.

It could be something wrong with my ISP but it is very surprising because when I failed for 30 minutes to request a lease release of the ip to get a new one and did not work and then when I rebooted into Fluppy then that worked for say a half hour and that one failed too. No Ethernet card was seen by the software not even after me shut it all down and started anew but as soon I started up the other Acer that one got IP instantly automatically using Fluppy.

Then tested older Acer again and it still failed.

Then I went to sleep and in the morning the old Acer just worked and then I shut it down and was away for some 4 hours and when I came back it failed to see the ethernet card again and then I tested Fluppy and that one worked and now I have tested both Snow and Mijn Puppy and both get IP and just works again.

So hopefully it is the IP locking the MAC address on my old Acer and thus allowing the new Acer them not having it in their database.

I wonder why it fails that way. Can it be that your Snow send requests that they are not used to. By having too requests so simultaneously maybe I trigger some protection at the ISP????

What else can explain the very odd behavior?

Anyway thanks for trying to help.

nooby

#47 Post by nooby »

Pemasu need your help.

Your Snow Puppy manage to accept that I use an external screen that is 4:3 while the built in screen on my Acer D250 is 16:9 more likely having 1024x600 instead of 1024x768.

Now your Snow does show everything in 1024x768 despite it uses JWM desktop window.

Jemimah thought that was the problem. So how or what did you change that allow it to be that flexible which is totally unique among all the puppies I've tested.

Hope you can remember what you set differently about size of display on screen?

pemasu

#48 Post by pemasu »

Snow Puppy-005 has been released.
See the main post: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 097#479097

nooby

#49 Post by nooby »

Thanks! Just a very short test. Past midnight and me should go up early.

This one did not allow the window manager to stay within 1024x768 it makes every program go 1024x600 instead. You one month older 05 was better for my computer. And this Geequee something is a new learning curve :) Sorry whining. I keep the older one. It is my main puppy I use at least 12 hours each day :)

pemasu

#50 Post by pemasu »

Nooby. Sorry to hear 005 didnt behave as previous. I havent changed anything which should effect.

About default image viewer. Changing it is easy.

Go to /usr/local/bin. Right click defaultimageviewer file. Open it as text. Change the word qeegie whichever you want.
Sameway you can change other default applications also. In Snow Pupppy and in any other puppy.

I have viewnior, mtpaint, gimp, fotoxx and pictureviewer to choose.

nooby

#51 Post by nooby »

Oh is it that easy :) Then I sure will try it later today. Will be away some 4 hours or so :)

But every program was 1024x600 while in the older Snow it was 1024x768 a huge difference for me.

Could I have changed from JWM to something else without me noticing the look change? A mystery :)

Edit I give it another chance. From geegie to viewnior and see what happens.

pemasu

#52 Post by pemasu »

Nooby et al.
Snow Puppy-005 is reuploaded. I fixed the problem with firstrun personalize settings wizard. Also Alsa Wizard works now properly.

For better 3g modem handling, I installed zzz_scripts_simple_bk-20110204.pet and it needed more hacking, before Lucid based Puppy swallowed it.
Also new firstrun-1.8.2.pet didnt behave as before. It is not straight woof compliant. But now firstrun wizard should work also.

I suggest Snow Puppy redownload and reinstallation if you have downloaded Snow Puppy-005 before this day.

Download links and md5sums: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/SnowPuppy-005/
Last edited by pemasu on Tue 08 Feb 2011, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#53 Post by nooby »

oops then I try again. :) [/b]
Last edited by nooby on Tue 08 Feb 2011, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#54 Post by pemasu »

Well. Upload just finished. You were too quick and I was too hasty to post.

nooby

#55 Post by nooby »

Yes now I have 1024x768 but I did forgot to change to Intel driver the Firefox display of Murga forum split up the lines when I scroll down fast.
F5 clear it up though.

Thanks for fixing whatever it was that your did I felt unsure of if I got it.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#56 Post by Lobster »

Snow Puppy-005 has been released.
Was about to try a bit of Puppy hopping (like distro hopping but more puppy orientated)
and was going for Fluppy
I went for Snowpuppy as I have not tried it.

Glad I did.

You get bling
bling is good
You get loads of good stuff from Jemimahs excellent Fluppy
and Puppy Lucid updated from an earlier version
My flash streaming is working again, so that earlier version
works for me too :lol:

Now gonna put it on a USB and try on a netbook

SnowPuppy feels good, looks good
and it is good.

Things I liked:
Extra fonts and bling (puppy poodle power)
xfe file manager - don't remember seeing that before.
. . . so much good stuff . . .

Q: Is there something in Filezilla that gFTP can not do?

Well done Pemasu. Nice. :)
Last edited by Lobster on Mon 14 Feb 2011, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

pemasu

#57 Post by pemasu »

Lobster. Thank you of the compliments. About Filezilla. It is more user friendly. Filezilla has better visual categorization for viewing folders and files. As default it also supports multiple file transfers simultaneously. And it has been reliable when I have uploaded files to the ftp server. I just had problems with gFtp for obscure reasons. But basically both do their jobs aka transfer files. It is just preferences of what you like. Now you have opportunity to compare them. They dont take much of space.

Yes. Snowpuppy has good properties from Fluppy and Lucid Puppy. Thank you jemimah and playdayz. It has also a lot of pet package additions straight from woof and from the forum.

I would like to know how Snow Puppy behaves in netbooks. There has been reports of succesfull installs. I have tested Snow Puppy only in one netbook.
I am glad if you report how did it go with your netbook.

nooby

#58 Post by nooby »

As I remember I have only tested it in my main _Netbook Acer D250, the D255 are too noisy for my taste so that one is a reserve to have on trips in case I get robbed or drop it on the road :)

Snow works very well on my gear. I've used daily since I first heard of it.

So thanks pemasu and to all of you

The only think that fails for me at times are that different puppies set time one hour differently but that could be something I am responsible not getting the text on how to do set up.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#59 Post by Lobster »

I would like to know how Snow Puppy behaves in netbooks
Maybe for the next edition.
Started to have problems (this may be my corrupted bookmarks
or the ATI Crystal driver. I got a WSOD (control + alt + backspace and then ran xorgwizard to deal with) This was an early issue with Lucid as was the pale washed out screen that appeared. These problems are solved in 5.2 even though there may be others.
Some of these issues are solved in Lucid 5.2 - so I am back in that (using the same RW-DVD)

I understand why you are using the earlier Lucid and quite frankly I prefer your setup (being bigger is not an issue for my set up with 2 gig of memory).

I hope you get a few more constructive testers, you deserve that.
I will certainly return :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

pemasu

#60 Post by pemasu »

Lobster. Ati has been troublesome for me also. I use intel graphics mostly but sometimes I test my dual graphics ATI HD5650. It would like to have ATI Catalyst 11.1 fglrx.ko kernel module. But...Playdayz could not get it to compile with 2.6.33.2 kernel and I could not get it to compile with 2.6.35.7 kernel. I get washout screen when I go to the console state and the screen stays blank. Otherwise 2.6.35.7 works better for me.
And I have same problem with Lucid Puppy 5.2 with my ATI graphics.