Equinox Desktop Environment ???

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
bignono1

Equinox Desktop Environment ???

#1 Post by bignono1 »

Hi,
Can this WM be used in Puppy?
I mean EDE?
And is it a light WM?
-----------------------
Please forgive my bad English.

Eyes-Only

#2 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi bignono1,

I know that if you use this following search by entering "Equinox Desktop" ( without the quotation marks however ) you should be able to find a .pet file made for Puppy-4.2.1 I believe it was:

http://www.google.com/advanced_search?q ... as_qdr=all

Hopefully I've entered the above right. ;) You didn't specify which Puppy you are running - but I did run this desktop on my version of 4.2.1.

Is it lite-weight? The one made for Puppy is rather so. But generally on other distros it isn't that lite-weight. It depends upon the distro, how they've compiled it, what dependencies they've compiled into it, etc.

I hope this has helped somewhat?

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

bignono1

#3 Post by bignono1 »

Thanks,Eyes-Only
It is here on the forum;

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 0&start=15
-----------------------
Please forgive my bad English.

37fleetwood

#4 Post by 37fleetwood »

Hi, I did a thread on the Ubuntu forum showing as many wm's and de's as I could get running. one of the ones I got going was Ede, or Equinox Desktop Environment. I thought about posting a similar thread here but hesitated since some of the bigger ones I tried were running on Ubuntu. maybe it would make a good reference post so people could at least see what they look like and some of the back story as to how hard they were to get going and how hard they are to use.

Anyway, Ede was a bit of work to get going, it's kinda an old project and not everything is easily available. if there's a .pet for puppy that would make it much easier. the thread referenced earlier is from 2005 so I'm doubting it covers Puppy 4.21, the .pet must be somewhere else. also being an older desktop environment it has kinda lost it's value. Lxde would be a much better choice and easier to work with and is much more up to date, and it has a similar layout. Lxde is also pretty light and fast.
here is the screencap of Ede and Rox on a modern computer:

another possible way to go that I played with was to use Openbox with pcmanfm as the file manager taskbar, and pinboard. I didn't play around with it much but it should be able to look a great deal better with some work. here is how it looks:
[color=darkblue][b]Thanks!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]
[color=darkblue][size=150]I'm a PC... Without Windows[/size][/color]

`f00

#5 Post by `f00 »

At some point in the not too far distant past I tried ede in a few pups and found it none too stable if you fussed with the varied settings for the gui (of course I fussed with it but finally gave up on it as more of an exercise than a practical de/wm). It did have a kind of win98 feel to it in a short trial run, but as mentioned not much support or recent development.

Other choices for 'lightweight' to try might include wmx or dwm..

37fleetwood

#6 Post by 37fleetwood »

Thanks for the confirmation, I'm not too tech savvy so I figured it was just me having trouble with EDE.
I made a mistake in my earlier post, the cap with Openbox and Pcmanfm is using fbpanel, I implied that the panel was part of Pcmanfm.
here is the thread in the Ubuntu forum that shows all the different things I tried. it's graphics intense so if you are on dial-up or have trouble loading lots of screencaps maybe you should turn back now :lol:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1176747
[color=darkblue][b]Thanks!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]
[color=darkblue][size=150]I'm a PC... Without Windows[/size][/color]

technosaurus

#7 Post by technosaurus »

The ede developer seems to have burnt out prior to finishing 2.0. It seems that the only app remaining was the wm itself. all that needs to be done with it is to RE-split the ede parts out of fltk1 to use vanilla fltk and the separate ede libs. It is a pretty straight forward cut and paste project if anyone has some time on their hands.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Eyes-Only

#8 Post by Eyes-Only »

...and can understand what they're doing Tech - which unfortunately includes me out. :( Too bad too as I was very hopeful the desktop would actually GO somewhere. Unlike foo and fleetwood I found EDE to be rock-stable on my 4.0 to 4.2.1 Puppy hard drive install, and I would sometimes use it for weeks just for the sake of "using something different" for a change of pace.

Oh well... I've likewise always envisioned a hard drive to be somewhat like a "life in the wild": Some drives are as sparse and clear as the Sahara dessert. Place a desktop environment upon that and ONLY its apps and it'll run flawlessly. Others? With all the various programmes we install it's worse than the deepest, darkest, of Africa! Now while "theoretically" programmes shouldn't clash and load ONLY their given/needed library files and whatnot assuredly something will get into the coding to cause instability.

Maybe this is why I always had such good luck with Mozilla Apps in the past. I worked upon them so that's basically all I had. ;)

I had a point to make somewhere in all this mismash but I think I've lost it...

Oh yes! :D Fleetwood? You brought up something above which I thought was an excellent idea! And that was something about doing a thread/expose on the desktops/window managers that YOU'VE been able to achieve to get operating upon Puppy successfully. Wonderful idea indeed and I for one greatly applaud this thought. Getting them to run upon Ubuntu and then pointing us to said thread is one thing - that is a full-featured OS. But getting them to run upon a minimalistic OS such as Puppy - successfully - and to demonstrate to people how you achieved it? I think such a thread would be quite popular AND would highly increase our popularity in the Linux World once people would see, "Oh wow! Puppy may be small - but it can indeed run my favourite desktop/window manager! Hot dang!"

Reason as to what prompted me to this was reading a few reviews recently on how JWM/IceWM was tending to make us look "too outdated" and "...from the 90's" yet if we could use newer managers... and that "5.2's use of Openbox with fbpanel was a step in the right direction."

As for my own success story: I've been able to run just about anything my little heart has desired on Puppy, from the newest Blackbox and Fluxbox right up to both versions of KDE - of course the latter through no effort on my own behalf but through others. I'm far from THAT intelligent! However, I've been able to get basic panels, window managers, and desktops to install and run - nothing complicated nor major.

But by all means fleetwood! Please do give it some thought, okie?

And foo & bignono? I seem to recall there having been a .pet of EDE being even more recent than 2005? I've got one here on a backup disk which I obtained from this forum that I ran on both 4.0/4.2.1 that HAD to have been from 2008 or 2009 seems so? I just can't recall WHO did it unfortunately.

Okie! I've rambled enough!

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

`f00

#9 Post by `f00 »

On macpup511 it's a bit more doable now for me (times change, with any luck I've picked up a few more bits of info that make it so :lol: ). By chance I stumbled across the pets

ede-1.2-i486.pet
efltk-2.0.7-i486.pet
puppy_ede_menus-0.3.pet

the url-tail I have on the start of that 2pp thread (saved local) is..
viewtopic.php?t=29540&sid=0db210ca02593e02900fbc9eb9820b72

.. and went "why not give it another go, it's different enough that another wm won't mess with it :roll: ".

As long as I can get wbar up .. and yep, some nice features in that menu and the environment in general. Good job!

It still may crash but actually keeps settings :shock: if it does freeze and you exit X, graceful that :) - ah yes, the scheme-ing can make drawing work overtime (generally I like simple but if a ui is there to play with.. gosh, it's a lil' more user friendly than a gtk scheme)

link to big 501k screenie

It's a bit finicky (needs -above-desk option in wbar and a 'set' bg + 'desktop' or 'normal' rather than 'override' for conky pseudotransparent window) and died in macpup511 after the 1st run (but works great in q120 :? .. it may have to do with xfce4 perhaps doing something odd or me trying to make it behave and not put xfce-specific stuff in other wms menus :sigh: , if it wasn't good at composite effects.. )

mmrrr - multi-wm helper in the works as I tap le plastique (must ask permission for the base used 1st) mo' L8r

___addenda110515-17 (more useful?)
.. :) still plugging away with ede in the offtimes (most recently in q142 since I'm not that big on lupus :roll: )

a) a 'traditional' (or close enough) puppy-menu and category ordering (oddly enough this goes back to the original way of ede but results in a 'static' menu that needs to be manually updated after the initial update for the bulk of pup-apps .. sry, but the /usr/sbin/puppy-menu-update had to go since it or something closely related repeatedly added junk categories on every session-load of ede :| ) .. don't get too excited, still no freestanding r-click rootmenu+base (somehow it seems that this habitual method should be possible somehow but bell/candle simulations render inconclusive data in kiss mode)

b) a working pager that's sticky! (primitive app-dir that puts up a gui pager window but I prefer it to the workspace-ticklist on the bar .. and unlike some other nice pagers it's sticky on all workspaces)
___addenda 110530
another way to get a 'nicer' pager sticky-fied, it may be time to play with efluid rather than putz about with gtk-based stuff :|

c) roxpin-capability (for driveicons&etc) - this requires that eiconman be killed first so the roxpin can display (but you knew that already, right?)

.. stay tuned for an archive with clumsy stuff inside ^.^
As per diddlum +screenielink of what started me on the menu-mod @74k .. skeleton with bits of tissue gives me a zaudio-chuckle of that film classic eeeeeoo0ouu munchmunchmunchBRAINZZZzz...
Attachments
ede-mods-110517.tar.gz
md5=8bb28f4df165ae4ae8f8b19b9dd7b144
abc etc
(113.61 KiB) Downloaded 822 times