Want straight up access to all Ubuntu/Debian packages?

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
cprivers

#21 Post by cprivers »

I got it installed with Synaptic, but when I run Synapyic, there is nothing on the page. How to I get the repositories?

Thanks,

Chuck
[i]It's always easy when you know how![/i]

tgp1994
Location: C:/Documents and Settings/*******/My Documents/VMWare/Puppy Linux/Puppy Linux.vmdk//./root

#22 Post by tgp1994 »

Chuck,

Are the repositories added in your sources.list file? Check the file in /etc/apt/sources.list, and if you wouldn't mind pasting it here, that would help :)

If you need a list of repositories, take a look at my article here, then in the Steps section, scroll down to part 12. Make sure you follow the steps all the way though.

cprivers

#23 Post by cprivers »

tgp1994 wrote:Chuck,

Are the repositories added in your sources.list file? Check the file in /etc/apt/sources.list, and if you wouldn't mind pasting it here, that would help :)

If you need a list of repositories, take a look at my article here, then in the Steps section, scroll down to part 12. Make sure you follow the steps all the way though.
There was no file in my computer, so I grabbed one from my Ubuntu install & changed Karmic to Lucid, then did an update. Right now Synaptic is missing the icons that show what is installed, etc. I read that I have to install the hicolor icons and found a link to download them, but I am supposed to run MAKE to install them on the computer, and MAKE does not appear to be in the installation. Apt-get seems to be working, but I sure would like to have Synaptic so I can see what is there! Have you tried it?

If it ain't one thing, it's another!
------------------------------------
If it was easy, anybody could do it, and you would be out of a job!

technosaurus

#24 Post by technosaurus »

It's been so long since I have used a .deb based system,
I have forgotten exactly where it is,
but there is a file(s) that keeps track of what packages are installed.
... something like /var/cache/apt-cache ??

in woof based puppies the corresponding files are in
$HOME/.packages/woof-installed-packages
(for 99.9% of puppy users $HOME is /root)

... has anyone tried mapping the latter to the former yet?
seems like a waste of time/bandwidth to download a deb for something that you already have (and potential for breakage)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

tgp1994
Location: C:/Documents and Settings/*******/My Documents/VMWare/Puppy Linux/Puppy Linux.vmdk//./root

#25 Post by tgp1994 »

cprivers wrote: If it ain't one thing, it's another!
Oh, I hear ya :)

Unfortunately, I was more intending my tutorial towards debian than ubuntu, and I thought it would be much of the same process.
However, you should be able to run apt-get install make, which should get you what you need.

@technosaurus:
You're right, I think that's where apt-get stores what it downloads. You're also right, it would make sense to symlink one directory to other. I would symlink the home based cache folder to the /var/cache folder, since puppy is more of a single user system anyways. (Would make more sense to store the cache in /var/cache folder.)

Whoops, completely misinterpreted your post.

I know for sure that there's some sort of database, although I still have no clue where it is. You're right though, it would be a good idea to link one to the other.

technosaurus

#26 Post by technosaurus »

if someone could upload a tarball of their apt-cache right after installing apt and then after installing a simple package (like dash maybe?),
I may be able to figure something out?
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

cprivers

#27 Post by cprivers »

I have already run apt several times, so I may not be of much help. However, if I can help, and if you can tell me exactly how to get you what you want, I'll do it. I would need step-by step instructions because I don't even remember how to make a tarball!

Chuck

technosaurus

#28 Post by technosaurus »

Code: Select all

tar -cf tarball.tar /var/cache/apt-cache   #(<--if that is the directory?)
gzip -9 tarball.tar

cprivers

#29 Post by cprivers »

technosaurus wrote:

gzip -9 tarball.tar
OK, so make the tarball, install Dash, then make another tarball?

Chuck

tgp1994

#30 Post by tgp1994 »

cprivers wrote:
technosaurus wrote:

gzip -9 tarball.tar
OK, so make the tarball, install Dash, then make another tarball?

Chuck
Dash??

What he's going to have you do is first compress /var/cache/apt-cache with tar, then compress that with gzip at the highest possible compression, giving you a .tar.gz file.

dada

#31 Post by dada »

Last edited by dada on Mon 19 May 2014, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.

cprivers

#32 Post by cprivers »

I got that, but it sounds like he wants a "before & after", so I have to install something to get the "after", right?

Chuck

technosaurus

#33 Post by technosaurus »

the main reason for installing a package is that when the tarballs are expanded,
one can do a diff that will show what contents have changed.

I only suggested dash because it has few dependencies and it is fairly debian specific.

visiondude

Apt-get, synaptic, aptitude

#34 Post by visiondude »

Thanks tgp1994 8)
I was finding Puppy-5.1.1 very limited with the pet installer, but thanks to you puppy is now complete.
Nice one.

tgp1994

#35 Post by tgp1994 »

This actually works on Puppy 5.x?

visiondude

Want straight up access to all Ubuntu/Debian packages?

#36 Post by visiondude »

Hi all
After installing dpkg, apt-get, aptitude, synaptic in 5.x you will probably get some errors, the way I sorted this was to have cli, and debian.org open at the same time, if you run say e.g: apt-get and it through up an error you go back to debian.org and download and install the missing lib file or whatever you need, and continue running the apps in cli until you have no more errors.
Hope it works for you.
P.S: You will have to create a dpkg blank [status file] you will get the location in the error message. :P

tgp1994

Re: Want straight up access to all Ubuntu/Debian packages?

#37 Post by tgp1994 »

visiondude wrote: P.S: You will have to create a dpkg blank [status file] you will get the location in the error message. :P
I'm assuming you didn't read my tutorial all the way through :)

But thank you for the suggestions on 5.x debianization.

anderson6220

apt-get

#38 Post by anderson6220 »

Good evening. I have been playing around with different linux distributions for a number of years as a hobby. I am currently running Puppy 5.2 on an old Dell 620. This is the first time I have ever made a post, so please let me know if I am not following protocol or etiquette. i did as you suggested and downloaded the files from the Debian website. When I type apt-get in a terminal, I get a list of options. However, when I try to execute apt-get install, I get the error message " Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status - open (2:No such file or directory). I get the same message if I try to run aptitude, except I get the message twice. I am by no means a computer expert. None of the previous posts or downloads seemed to address this issue in terms I can understand. So, any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Than ks

Jasper

#39 Post by Jasper »

Hi anderson6220,

Often debian files will install by just left clicking on them, but come back if that doesn't help.

This section is really intended for solutions (as opposed to problems) and sometimes it is better to start a new thread in one the sections above this one.This is only mentioned as you asked.

Anyway - Welcome to the forum.

My regards

tgp1994

#40 Post by tgp1994 »

Oh, I think he's quite alright posting in this topic, after all, you can't have a solution without a problem in the first place ;) Anyhow, I'm only subscribed to this topic, rather than the forum, so I would be unavailable to offer what I know if he made a new topic.

Per your issue anderson, create a blank file in /var/lib/dpkg named status.

I know my tutorial can get quite lengthy in the wiki, although it's a pretty good read, and can solve you a lot of problems and wasted time on those problems. Go ahead and take a look :)