Using dotpups in multisession DVD puppy

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Zeppis

Using dotpups in multisession DVD puppy

#1 Post by Zeppis »

Ok, I'm currently runnig Puppy on a Windows XP machine with NTFS partitions only. I have a 256meg pup001 on C:\
I've tried dotpups only once when I got myself Firefox. Worked like a charm.

Now, suppose I want to move on to the multisession DVD era and not use a harddrive at all... how do DotPups work then? Will pup001 be saved on the DVD with each session? And if yes, wouldn't it take a ton of space with each saved session to include Firefox in it? I don't have a swap drive so I can't make a custom Puppy DVD with FF preinstalled. I doubt my skills would be enough even if I had a swap drive...

So, with this new multisession thing, will installed dotpups be saved "once-only" or will they be written anew with each saved session, making the DVD fill up more quickly?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

there might be problems with large dotpup packages ... i think Puppy saves large files in another folder, archived, because otherwise the files would be loaded into ram with every boot ... most of my dotpup packages are fairly small, intentionally

i think the Firefox files would be saved in one folder once on the dvd, and would not be re-saved to the dvd each time (except for the files that have actually changed)

Firefox is about 21 megs installed ... this is not very much space on a dvd ... the thing is, the 21 megs will be using up ram space when Puppy boots

i think Puppy 2 might compress added files, which would take up less space in ram ... maybe earlier versions of Puppy do this too, i'm not sure

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

yeah, the puppy2 remaster script is especially designed for this.
Any user-installed pupget or dotpup packages will get compressed into the
pup_xxx.sfs file.

...except we have just discovered a bug in the script, so wait for the next
snapshot alpha release.