gtkpod not able to see iPod

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
angelo

gtkpod not able to see iPod

#1 Post by angelo »

Hi everybody,

I installed gtkpod 0.96 from the puppy package manager, so I have the icon in the multimedia menu, the program is starting etc.

When I connect an iPod Nano 8 Gb it will be correctly recognized, an icon appears as sdb1, I can mount it and/or simply click on it to see it's content etc.

but clicking the button "detecting iPod" in gtkpod has no effect, simply nothing happens.

Any idea very appreciated,

angelo

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I think there's a place buried in the gtkpod menu where you have to tell it which model of iPod you're using. I don't have an iPod but my brother does and he had the same problem as you. We finally figured out how to get it to work, but since it wasn't me doing it, I don't remember the exact details.

tempestuous

#3 Post by tempestuous »

I suggest you try the latest version of gtkpod available on the forum; ver 1.0.0
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59183

DaveS

#4 Post by DaveS »

Flash is right. You have to instruct gtkpod as to how to see your ipod. It is a simple case of using the menus, but not at all intuitive. Once set up, it works well though.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

SHOOTER77

songs won't play on gtkpod

#5 Post by SHOOTER77 »

Yeah I got the ipod to detect and it loaded my songs. Only problem is it won't play then says it can't find the "XMMS" command for "Play Now"? Any ideas? Is there a package or dependency somewhere that I have to get?

-James

tempestuous

#6 Post by tempestuous »

The particular version of gtkpod you have installed clearly has XMMS configured for music playback. But XMMS has never been included in any official Puppy version, and it's not necessarily a good choice since it requires additional GTK1 libraries.
The quick solution would simply be to change your settings in gtkpod to use Puppy's standard pmusic application. Go to
Edit > Preferences > Music > Commands...
and replace "xmms %s" with "pmusic %s"

If you want to use a bells-and-whistles music player with gtkpod, there are many dotpets available on the forum, from Aqualung and Audacious up to the large Amarok package. Somewhere in between, Goggles Music Manager seems good -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=54085