Wary Puppy 5.0-final feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
mave

#221 Post by mave »

rcrsn51 wrote:
The Chrome printing problem was discussed in Puppeee here. and jemimah has a patch. But I would exercise extreme caution in installing the patch in Wary.
Thanks, this patch includes a pdftops, which is in Wary 5 not present and cannot be replaced. Copy this to /usr/lib/cups/filters ist not the solution.

But thanks to rcrsn51.

I didn't have problems with Iron under Lupu 5.2, Unfortunately this is not running under Wary 5.

mave

otropogo

Re: Wary's Firefox removes Seamonkey and takes its icon

#222 Post by otropogo »

technosaurus wrote:
otropogo wrote:I find your response churlish.
hmm... I was _trying_ to be civil despite the condescending attitude in your string of almost incoherent "bug reports"

To report a bug that you actually _want_ to get fixed (not just to gripe) try this format at a minimum
  • A. Distro-version, software-version (and where you got it)

B. What steps will reproduce the problem?

C. What is the expected output? What do you see instead?

D. <Please use labels, text and images to provide additional information here>
further reading
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html
http://www.softwaretestinghelp.com/how- ... ug-report/ <<pay attention to #6 in the bonus section
You brilliantly demonstrate what is arguably the most intractable and devastating problem with the entire Puppy project - the tendency of any report of problems and its author to be attacked and ridiculed on the slightest pretext, and to have the problem report itself trivialized or rejected outright because of some faulty etiquette.

In short, there is an epidemic of bad faith in this respect, and it practically insures that serious problems are underreported and/or never fixed.

As in most of these cases, all of the necessary information you claim to want is already there, if you weren't too lazy to read carefully. The fact that someone who has just spent several hours of frustrating effort because a supposedly thoroughly vetted "final" product behaves more like an alpha version is upset and may not use the most diplomatic language to describe his experience should not surprise or unduly put off any reasonable person.

You're not just throwing out the baby with the waswater - your tossing the baby and keeping the trash, by reducing a trouble report made in good faith and with considerable effort to nothing more than a flame war.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

rameshiyer

firefox

#223 Post by rameshiyer »

Dear Barry

I have installed Wary Puppy 5.00 ( full HD) in my PC. Also installed Firefox 3.6 w5.pet provided by Barry. However, after installing I am not able to load gmail in firefox. However, I am getting gmail in Seamoney !!. What may be the problem?. This is first time I am getting this type of problem. In google-chrome also I am facing same problem. ie. no gmail.com. or even mail.yahoo.com

otropogo

Re: firefox

#224 Post by otropogo »

rameshiyer wrote:Dear Barry

I have installed Wary Puppy 5.00 ( full HD) in my PC. Also installed Firefox 3.6 w5.pet provided by Barry. However, after installing I am not able to load gmail in firefox. However, I am getting gmail in Seamoney !!. What may be the problem?. This is first time I am getting this type of problem. In google-chrome also I am facing same problem. ie. no gmail.com. or even mail.yahoo.com
You're doing better than I am. When I installed the same Firefox pet (the one presented by the pet manager), it made itself the default browser, and took over both the browser icon and the Seamonkey Web Browser tab in the Internet menu (as well as creating it's own tab in that menu). So I lost the ability to access Seamonkey at all.

And when I reported this problem, Technosaurus suggested this was not a bug or a flaw, but a desing feature!

I gather you still have access to Seamonkey. Did you have to do anything to bring it back to default of the Internet menu?

ttuuxxx

#225 Post by ttuuxxx »

otropogo wrote:
rameshiyer wrote:Dear Barry

You're doing better than I am. When I installed the same Firefox pet (the one presented by the pet manager), it made itself the default browser, and took over both the browser icon and the Seamonkey Web Browser tab in the Internet menu (as well as creating it's own tab in that menu). So I lost the ability to access Seamonkey at all.

And when I reported this problem, Technosaurus suggested this was not a bug or a flaw, but a desing feature!

I gather you still have access to Seamonkey. Did you have to do any
thing to bring it back to default of the Internet menu?
did you try my fix I posted for you?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 221#487221

ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

otropogo

#226 Post by otropogo »

ttuuxxx wrote:..

ttuuxxx
Sorry, not yet. I haven't been back in Wary since, but will try it later today and let you know.

My real life suddenly and unexpectedly got very busy, and I'm having to use a working browser with all my passwords and bookmarks much more steadily than usual.

Update:

Ok. Have tried it now, or at least , tried to try it. But ran into a snag or two...

I first ran the pet, and that resulted in the addition of a second Firefox tab in the Program/Intenet menu, giving me four links for Firefox (the desktop icon, the two FF tabs, and the Seamonkey tab), but still none for Seamonkey.

Then I tried to follow your instruction to:

"...make sure that Firefox is located in usr/lib/firefox if it has a number on it then just right click on the folder with the number and choose systemlink and call it firefox. "

But I don't see any "firefox" folder in usr/lib, don't know how to "make sure" it's there, and have no way to complete the task.

What I do see is a folder named Seamonkey 2.0.11, beside it a symlink (I think - it sports a square with a curved arrow on the top left corner) named just Seamonkey, and another folder named Mozilla, which contains two folders called "extensions" and " plugins".

I thought it prudent to postpone your suggestion to delete root/mozilla/firefox (which does exist) until checking back with you.

Do you happen to have a fix for Firefox's inability to remember my passwords? That might make it a bit more usable...

Update 2: FF's password manager suddenly worked again (after five or six failures), could it simply be super-slow. Displaying pages of the forum is like watching molasses run...

I tried installing the Wary Wine pet with all dependencies just now, and after declaring success, Pet manager popup up some windows I couldn't read because of subsequent popups that seem to indicate missing dependencies, then pet manager itself crashed and had to be killed.

I notice too in passing that the totally untrue claims of being able to boot from ZIP and L120 disks are still there in the Installation wizard of Wary5, and this almost two years after two of us spent dozens of hours documenting the fact that not only weren't these claims true, but they had NEVER been true!

What does it take to get Puppy's doodoo removed?

Aitch

#227 Post by Aitch »

otropogo wrote:What does it take to get Puppy's doodoo removed?
I would think a PM/post to Barry K is best, explaining, with links, what you went through [Yes, I remember it well! :wink: ] and results, and current finding/disappointment

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/privms ... =post&u=52

http://bkhome.org/blog/

I can only assume it wasn't previously brought to his attention or it's a n other oversight?

Aitch :)

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Geany & PPM

#228 Post by BarryK »

_Mark_ wrote:I installed Geany with PPM and have now decided to remove and now the weird part PPM confirms successfully removed but is still there and working fine
I tried installing and removing again but still the same.

Does PPM produce any logs, to investigate further?

This is on Wary 5 frugal install on a USBHD
If you run PPM and choose the Document category, Geany is not offered. This is because Wary already has Geany installed.

If you did get a Geany PET and install it, then uninstall it, of course it is still there as it was there before you installed the PET.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

_Mark_

Re: Geany & PPM

#229 Post by _Mark_ »

BarryK wrote:
_Mark_ wrote:I installed Geany with PPM and have now decided to remove and now the weird part PPM confirms successfully removed but is still there and working fine
I tried installing and removing again but still the same.

Does PPM produce any logs, to investigate further?

This is on Wary 5 frugal install on a USBHD
If you run PPM and choose the Document category, Geany is not offered. This is because Wary already has Geany installed.

If you did get a Geany PET and install it, then uninstall it, of course it is still there as it was there before you installed the PET.
Well I am embarrassed to say I never noticed it was already installed :oops:

What an idiot makes perfect sense now
Thanks Barry and Happy Birthday by the way

rjbrewer

#230 Post by rjbrewer »

otropogo wrote:
I notice too in passing that the totally untrue claims of being able to boot from ZIP and L120 disks are still there in the Installation wizard of Wary5, and this almost two years after two of us spent dozens of hours documenting the fact that not only weren't these claims true, but they had NEVER been true!
Thats odd!

I've been booting Puppy 412 and other versions smaller than that
from Iomega Zip100 drives for a few years without any problems.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

otropogo

#231 Post by otropogo »

rjbrewer wrote:
otropogo wrote:
Thats odd!

I've been booting Puppy 412 and other versions smaller than that
from Iomega Zip100 drives for a few years without any problems.
Were they USB drives? To be precise, I did actually manage to install one version of Puppy to an LS120 once (after many, many hours of trying over a period of weeks), but it was a futile, if heroic effort, since the installation procedure was extremely flakey, and Pmount was never able to access the LS120, it was only doable through MUT, and only on that one version (3.01 R, IIRC). And If you needed to format the LS120, you had to do it on a Windows system.

What we worked on over a period of months was a way of running Puppy either from a SCSI or a Parallel Port drive, using a boot floppy. The latter was specifically advertised as an option in Wakepup . We went all the way back to Version 1.x, trying to find where things went wrong - but couldn't find a version that would actually work as advertised.

otropogo

#232 Post by otropogo »

Aitch wrote:
otropogo wrote:What does it take to get Puppy's doodoo removed?
I would think a PM/post to Barry K is best, explaining, with links, what you went through [Yes, I remember it well! :wink: ] and results, and current finding/disappointment

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/privms ... =post&u=52

http://bkhome.org/blog/

I can only assume it wasn't previously brought to his attention or it's a n other oversight?

Aitch :)
Hi Aitch. Barry knows about the LS120 problem or did, because he mentioned way back when having an LS120 drive but no disk for testing. I then mailed him a brand new one, and he acknowledged receipt. But I don't recall seeing any further report on the matter after that.

otropogo

Wary5 gives Kernel Panic on Compaq Presario 5827

#233 Post by otropogo »

Booted Compaq Presario 5827 w/768MB RAM with Multisession DVD previously used successfully to boot off a newer Intel machine.

"...copying to ram

Setting up the layered filesystem...
Performing a 'switch_root' to the layered filesystem...Kernel panic - not syncing
g: Attempted to kill init!"

translation??

don922

Need a 10x20 font in Urxvt

#234 Post by don922 »

I am using Wary 5.0 Lite on a PII 350 with a new 17" monitor.

I would like to get a 10x20 font to use in Urxvt. Where can I get it and How do I install it?

Wary 5 is supposed to be an "old equipment" Puppy. Old eyes need something better than 7x14; even 9x15B is too small for my eyes.

I don't want to sound like "otro", I can't read the screen in Urxvt -- I am using Sakura, but it uses TTF and I can't find anything that works as well as 10x20. Any suggestions?
[color=green][i]Don -- Thailand[/i][/color]
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://tinypic.com/4e0tojl.jpg[/img][/url]

don922

JWM tray error

#235 Post by don922 »

Adding a new launch button to tray causes the screen selector boxes to be removed. Compare graphics below.

I have used these same launch buttons on Puppy 4.12, Puppy 4.00 and Puppy 214X without a problem.

Can this be fixed?
Attachments
412.jpg
(7.92 KiB) Downloaded 1258 times
500.jpg
(11.93 KiB) Downloaded 1274 times
[color=green][i]Don -- Thailand[/i][/color]
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://tinypic.com/4e0tojl.jpg[/img][/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#236 Post by Béèm »

don922, if you like the 412 drive icons, copy them to your 5.xx installation.
I did something like this for the stardust theme I like most.
Last edited by Béèm on Wed 19 Jan 2011, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Bill253

Firefox taking over SeaMonkey

#237 Post by Bill253 »

PostPosted: Yesterday, at 11:49 pm Post subject: Re: firefox
Subject description: gmail not loading Reply with quote
ttuuxxx wrote:

ttuuxxx

otropogo wrote:

<snip>
Update:

Ok. Have tried it now, or at least , tried to try it. But ran into a snag or two...

I first ran the pet, and that resulted in the addition of a second Firefox tab in the Program/Intenet menu, giving me four links for Firefox (the desktop icon, the two FF tabs, and the Seamonkey tab), but still none for Seamonkey.

Then I tried to follow your instruction to:

"...make sure that Firefox is located in usr/lib/firefox if it has a number on it then just right click on the folder with the number and choose systemlink and call it firefox. "

But I don't see any "firefox" folder in usr/lib, don't know how to "make sure" it's there, and have no way to complete the task.

What I do see is a folder named Seamonkey 2.0.11, beside it a symlink (I think - it sports a square with a curved arrow on the top left corner) named just Seamonkey, and another folder named Mozilla, which contains two folders called "extensions" and " plugins".

I thought it prudent to postpone your suggestion to delete root/mozilla/firefox (which does exist) until checking back with you.
<snip>

Sorry this reply isn't as pretty as you experienced users make yours, but it's my first time trying to make a reply on this forum.

My experience with SeaMonkey and Firefox has been almost exactly what otropogo has reported. I might add that the screen icon for 'email' and menu pick for 'SeaMonkey mail and news' also launch Firefox. Since running the seamonkey-fix-1.pet that ttuuxxx graciously supplied, I too now have two menu tabs for 'Firefox web browser', along with the two SeaMonkey tabs (mail and news, web browser) all of which launch Firefox.

I don't miss the SeaMonkey web browser so much, but kind of liked the mail client. Is it even possible to have both mozilla products available at the same time (technosaurus seemed to indicate it is not)?

As a new puppy user I'm frustrated by how easy it is to 'break' things and not know how to restore them. The initial install from CD went very smoothly. I'm about ready to try to figure out how to uninstall/reinstall the whole mess and start over. Please be patient with this old Windows user trying to find his way through Puppy.

Bill253

rjbrewer

#238 Post by rjbrewer »

otropogo wrote:
Were they USB drives? To be precise, I did actually manage to install one version of Puppy to an LS120 once (after many, many hours of trying over a period of weeks), but it was a futile, if heroic effort, since the installation procedure was extremely flakey, and Pmount was never able to access the LS120, it was only doable through MUT, and only on that one version (3.01 R, IIRC). And If you needed to format the LS120, you had to do it on a Windows system.

What we worked on over a period of months was a way of running Puppy either from a SCSI or a Parallel Port drive, using a boot floppy. The latter was specifically advertised as an option in Wakepup . We went all the way back to Version 1.x, trying to find where things went wrong - but couldn't find a version that would actually work as advertised.
Regular zip 100 drive in pc.

If your pc bios had usb zip, ls120 and sccsi boot options, like this old "Power Spec" pc, it also would probably help.
Attachments
Zippy.png
(133.06 KiB) Downloaded 1277 times

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

ravensrest

FFConvert not working correctly

#239 Post by ravensrest »

I can't seem to get FFConvert multimedia converter to produce playable files. If I try to select and convert Magic-Pilot.ogg to an mp3 file using ffconvert, a file approximately 2.4 meg long is produced, but it lasts only a few milliseconds and is not recognizable. The command line produced by ffconvert is:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i "/data/music/1970s/Magic-Pilot.ogg" -y -f mp3  -acodec libvorbis -ab 128k    "/data/Magic-Pilot.mp3"
If I just convert using ffmpeg directly using either of these two statements from the command line:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i "/data/music/1970s/Magic-Pilot.ogg" -ab 128k "/data/magicpilot.mp3"
ffmpeg -i /data/music/1970s/Magic-Pilot.ogg -ab 128k /data/magicpilot.mp3
a 2.7 meg mp3 file is produced that plays correctly in any mp3 player I have tried.

What is wrong with ffconvert?

ttuuxxx

#240 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hi guys can you please left click help on firefox and select "About Mozilla Firefox" And tell me which version is installed and later today I'll boot Wary and make a proper fix for it, The last one was an educated guess but looks like something is out of the ordinary compared to a regular firefox install.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)