tor version 0.2.1.29 and polipo version 1.0.4.1

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Michalis

tor version 0.2.1.29 and polipo version 1.0.4.1

#1 Post by Michalis »

Tor Anonymity network version 0.2.1.29

What is Tor?
Tor is free software and an open network that helps you defend against a form of network surveillance that threatens personal freedom and privacy, confidential business activities and relationships, and state security known as traffic analysis

You can download it here

Tor needs libevent in order to work. If you don't have it in your system you can download it here. I built tor against libevent version 2.0.10, but version 1.4.14 should work fine, I just haven't tested it. If there is any problem working tor with libevent version 1.4.14 please post it.

If you installed libevent 1.4.14 you need also to symlink a library so type or paste in the terminal:

Code: Select all

ln -s /usr/lib/libevent-1.4.so.1.2.3 /usr/lib/libevent-2.0.so.5

Polipo version 1.0.4.1 — a caching web proxy

What is Polipo
Polipo is a small and fast caching web proxy (a web cache, an HTTP proxy, a proxy server). Polipo is suitable to be used with tor.

You can download it here

Tor version 0.2.1.29 and Polipo version 1.0.4.1 combined
Here you can find a pet that combines both of them in a single pet and in order to use them you need to click at their menu entries in Network menu.
If you want to start them automatically in every puppy startup then extract the attached Start_tor_polipo and move the 2 files inside it in the /root/Startup folder.

Just keep in mind that you have to change the proxy servers in your browser. Especially for the combined pet you have to add as proxy server:

port: 8118
Do that for all protocols.

If you want to use only the tor pet without polipo then you should use port 8123

In order to check weather your tor link to the tor network is working click here.

In tor website I noticed that there is also a tor browser (based on Firefox) that you can use it without needing to install it, thous you can use it even from a usb stick. I haven't tested it but it must work well and it should be very handy for people who doesn't want to get involved with tor configuration.

Both of them are compiled in quirky version 1.40 but should work on any puppy. For more instructions how to use them and configure them please refer to their webpages tor, polipo
Attachments
Start_tor_polipo.tar.gz
2 files to automatically start tor and polipo in every puppy Startup.
Place them in the /root/Startup folder
(246 Bytes) Downloaded 747 times
Last edited by Michalis on Sun 23 Jan 2011, 22:13, edited 3 times in total.

chrismt

#2 Post by chrismt »

Does this work on Puppy 5.2?

neurino

#3 Post by neurino »

Installed the pet and libevent 1.4 pet in Wary 5, just had to make a symlink to make it work:

At least I guess it works since I can get tor --help to execute flawlessly but a little howto would help...

P.S.: pets on free file hosting sites are not guranteed to persist, since I think attachment limit here on the forum is 2MB why don't you attach them here?

Michalis

#4 Post by Michalis »

chrismt wrote:Does this work on Puppy 5.2?
Probably yes but I haven't tested it, I'm not using 5.2. Test it and if it works you can report back so that others can use it also in 5.2. Just keep in mind that you must also do some changes in the browser concerning the proxy servers, for more details you must check their web pages.

I've compiled it, tested it and definitely works in quirky 1.4, I can't be testing it to any puppy version.

Michalis

#5 Post by Michalis »

neurino wrote:Installed the pet and libevent 1.4 pet in Wary 5, just had to make a symlink to make it work:

I had also the DEV files installed since I compiled them all together so it is possible to need the symlink, I'll update the first post.

neurino wrote:P.S.: pets on free file hosting sites are not guranteed to persist, since I think attachment limit here on the forum is 2MB why don't you attach them here?
I think it is only 1mb the limit, but also I'm going to post tomorrow combined pets that will work without needing any change and will be much bigger. Moreover this way we reduce the traffic load of the forum, and there have been times in the past were the forum had problems because of heavy load. Also I never had problem with mediafire and pets have their own md5sum check inside.

neurino

#6 Post by neurino »

My concerns are not on file integrity just on availability in future, it too often happens to me to find links on forum to external hostings and the pet is no more available, say after 6 months or a year or two.

Anyway also bandwidth eating is important but don't think this is the kind of pet hundreds of users will download.

Thank you for posting it

Michalis

#7 Post by Michalis »

neurino wrote:My concerns are not on file integrity just on availability in future, it too often happens to me to find links on forum to external hostings and the pet is no more available, say after 6 months or a year or two.
Now I got what you mean.
Yes I had this problem once in the past with another file hosting service. Because of it now I always keep them in my hard disk and from time to time I upload them also to another hosting service too. Of course anybody is free to grab the pets I make and host them anywhere he/she wants and post them again in case the hosting service is down and I'm not around to upload them again.

P.S. If anyone experiences problems using mediafire tell me in order to provide additional links

neurino

#8 Post by neurino »

As far as I know tor someone already did it... :roll: :wink: 8) ==> link

virtualman

#9 Post by virtualman »

OK, I did test it on 5.2. Everything works out of a box. I didnt use symlink. Only used: "Tor version 0.2.1.29 and Polipo version 1.0.4.1 combined" and
libevent-2.0.10-stable-i486.pet and libevent_DEV-2.0.10-stable-i486.pet.
I had instaled Chromium, but there is dificult to change proxy seting, so I downloaded Firefox 4.ob7. There is simple to put manualy 127.0.0.1 and 8118 for port.
Of course also: Start_tor_polipo.tar.gz and put it in Start folder.
Now I can use Firefox for Tor browsing ( that is slower) and Chromium for normal ( fast and open) browsing.
Very simple and nice.

Michalis

#10 Post by Michalis »

virtualman wrote:I didnt use symlink.
The symlink is only needed if you install libevent 1.4.14.

This is because I built tor against libevent 2.0.10 and tor looks for library libevent-2.0.so.5.

Anyway good to know that works well under 5.2

neurino

#11 Post by neurino »

virtualman wrote: I had instaled Chromium, but there is dificult to change proxy seting
try reading --help

--proxy-server=host:port
    Specify the HTTP/SOCKS4/SOCKS5 proxy server to use for requests. This overrides any environment variables or settings picked via the options dialog. An individual proxy server is specified using the format

http_proxy, https_proxy, ftp_proxy
    The proxy servers used for HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP. Note: because Gnome/KDE proxy settings may propagate into these variables in some terminals, this variable is ignored (in preference for actual system proxy settings) when running under Gnome or KDE. Use the command-line flags to set these when you want to force their values. 
So all you have to do is start chromium with --proxy-server option

steve_s

#12 Post by steve_s »

Using the combined tor polipo pet, and running tor from terminal it hangs at :

Bootstrapped 25%: Loading networkstatus consensus.
and it never makes it past that.
Any suggestions to get tor running? :?

steve_s

#13 Post by steve_s »

Nevermind, figured it out:
Had to copy this configuration file to /etc/tor/ after manually creating the folder 'tor' in /etc/ and it worked great with a manual config of Firefox 4. Thanks!
8)

eriksatie

#14 Post by eriksatie »

the tor browser bundle can't be run as root

what can I do to run it as a regular user?

goingnuts

#15 Post by goingnuts »

Tried bundle in P412 but wont run due to version `GLIBC_2.8' not found.
So created static linked polipo-20140107+tor-0.2.6.10 bundle which might work in most versions of Puppy and derivatives.
Compiled with uclibc, libevent-2.0.22 and openssl-1.0.1p. Removed Michalis´ desktopfiles as this seems to be cli only stuff and replaced with /etc/init.d/rc.polipo and /etc/init.d/rc.tor to start, stop & status automatically.

Configure ex. your browser to use proxy 127.0.0.1 port 8118 and set your start page to https://check.torproject.org/ to validate tor is in charge.

Download polipo-20140107+tor-0.2.6.10.tar.gz[2610K]

update 20160226:
After running above system for some time I identified some problems with polipo and downloads of larger files via ftp/http. So although the system works it is not stable. I recommend using privoxy instead as I have never had problems with that and download of large files. Drawback is that it does not handle ftp. Use wget instead and create a .wgetrc file in /root with this content:

use_proxy=yes
http_proxy=127.0.0.1:8118
Then wget will connect through tor-network as well.