Transferring multisession to new frugal install?

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Jasper

#21 Post by Jasper »

Hi dogle,

I tried "5" with so many combinations of other PUPSTATE line changes that I can't now remember any details, except that none of them worked.

Sometimes, trial and error works, but sometimes a deep knowledge is necessary and I was defeated.

My regards

dogle

#22 Post by dogle »

I've had a little more success trying PUPMODE 5 on another box ... just a little.

Editing PUPMODE (only) to =5 enabled a pupsave file to be prepared on closing the multisession, as before. I was able to exorcise the GRUB demons, and get booted from the hard drive.

Most regular desktop and ROX icons were replaced by 'substitutes', i.e. lost.
Wallpaper selection had been preserved.
SM bookmarks had been preserved ... progress!

Running pfix=clean restored the icons. This process presumably reverses manual configuration edits e.g. to Abiword, which is a pain; unofficial PETs/printer drivers were gone.
CUPS configuration appeared to be retained, at least partly. Abiword custom templates were gone.

Once again, no cigar.

This evident filesystem corruption looks to me as if it may be a serious problem.

I've been doing this stuff with Puppy 431, frugal to clean (DBANned and freshly formatted) hard drives.

Are there any more PUPMODE 5 testers out there?

Jasper

#23 Post by Jasper »

Hi dogle,

A thought for your consideration:

Suppose you were to make a frugal hdd installation and then delete its norrnal save file as part of the next step.

Then, with a current backup, run your DVD using puppy pfix=ram and then copy the PUPSTATE file (presumably from /etc/rc.d) to an external location and then exit without saving.

Then run your DVD in normal full mode and move its PUPSTATE file to another external location (so you can reinstate it later) and replace it by copying (or moving) the first PUPSTATE file.

Now, hopefully, on exit you can make a normal save file to your new frugal hdd location.

My regards

Another forum member used a similar method to save from a frugal installation to a multisession DVD - and reported that it worked. Anyway - good luck.

dogle

#24 Post by dogle »

Many thanks, Jasper.

Sounds most ingenious ... but it's going to take a little while for me to get my head round it. :-)

Watch this space ....