How to update all packages automatically?

Booting, installing, newbie
totsubo

How to update all packages automatically?

#1 Post by totsubo »

I installed Puppy on a very old netbook about 4 months ago and would like to update any and all packages to their newest version.

Is there any way to do this either using the package manager or command line?

(I'll admint I'm used to the Ubuntu package manager that tells you when there are newer package version available and gives you the option to automatically the system, and perhaps this does not exist on Puppy?)

Thanks!

trapster

#2 Post by trapster »

Before I tell you how to update packages, you'll have to explain why you need all of them updated to the "newest" version.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

totsubo

#3 Post by totsubo »

Hi Trapster and thanks for the reply.

I'd like to update the packages to download any bug fixes, improvements, updates, etc.

trapster

#4 Post by trapster »

I've always thought, if it works the way you want it, leave it alone.
I have "upgraded" to "newest" versions of software in the past and it wasn't necessarily better.

Now, I will uphold my end of the bargain.
To upgrade software in puppy, you'll have to find the newer versions and install them. :)
Sorry, no automagic upgrades for puppy...yet. Besides, it's not that difficult to download one here and one there when it's needed.

Puppy is so small, I usually wait until the latest iso is released, download and hope things have improved.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

amigo

#5 Post by amigo »

Puppy has no facility for upgrading packages. At best, it may allow to remove the old package and then install a newer one. There really is no way to upgrade from one release to the 'next' one -each release is a whole new world. Go figger...

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#6 Post by Béèm »

AS the OP didn't specify what type of install he has, difficult to decently reply on the question.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]