slow dvd burning with change of brand in blank dvds

Using applications, configuring, problems
mouldy

slow dvd burning with change of brand in blank dvds

#1 Post by mouldy »

Long story but bought new cheap generic 16x dvd burner off ebay couple months ago. It can burn dvd+r or dvd-r blanks. I had several dvd+r blanks from my old burner. Well it wouldnt burn correctly under windoze but did as well as old burner if I burned by commandline under Puppy.

So getting very low on blanks and got deal on some Japanese made dvd-r blanks, free shipping and all. Puppy command line tried to burn at like 0.6x and eventually about 3/4 way thru abort with read/write media error. Did this twice in row and I'm thinking that I am screwed with the new disks. However there is little sticker still on dvd burner giving website for firmware upgrade. The upgrade flashing program is windoze only of course so move burner to and stick modem in my windows computer, do the upgrade. The two windows burner progs I have now both recognize the drive, and both can burn dvd successfully in around 12-14 minutes. Somewhere around 6x or 7x on an 8x disk. Great. So I put burner back into Puppy computer. growisofs like before starts burn at 8x but quikly backs down to burn at like 0.8x and again aborts part way thru with read/write error. Why? If it now works great on windoze, why the problem with Puppy? It just seems to really hate these new disks.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

As far as I can remember, Puppy burned every DVD I tried in 2 DVD burners, a Memorex and a Sony. Mostly I use name-brand DVD+/-R and +/-RW, I seem to recall a problem with an Emprex burner. All 3 burners are recent vintage (a year or so old.)

I use either burniso2CD or TkDVD GUI; haven't tried the command line yet.

mouldy

#3 Post by mouldy »

Thats the thing, this burner was working ok with Puppy using the old disks. Same burner not working well at all with new disks under Puppy, but with firmware upgrade working ok with windows with new disks. Guess I'm saying is if burner + blank disk works well under one operating system, why not both?

Ted Dog

Please more details

#4 Post by Ted Dog »

Ok that is wierd. A question about your setup. Is the windows computer and the puppy computer the same machine or two different computers? The way I read your post is that you have two different machines and swapped the hardware (DVD burner) between the two to upgrade the DVD firmware.
Have you tried running puppy from the known better computer (hosting windows) . Are you mixing older HardDrive with newer DVD burner on the same IDE cable? I found DVD/CDs burners work better with each other or alone on a IDE cable. Older hardware used 40wire IDE, newer uses 80wire IDE cable with improved grounding. Older style IDE cable has caused me problems like you discribed. Took a orginized swap of cables and older HDs configuration until I was able to isolate it to a 6GHD with older IDE cable, then to the IDE cable being the worst cause of the problem.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

does your dvd drive have dma enabled? ... type:

hdparm -d /dev/hdc

for information (if your drive is /dev/hdc)

type:

hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc

to enable dma (if your drive is /dev/hdc)

when i burn a cd using cdrecord and the ATAPI driver, it says that it does not support dma

when dma is turned off, the cpu does all the work ... if the cpu can't handle the burning speed, there will be write errors

you can google for growisofs and dma ... for example,
http://crashrecovery.org/oss-dvd/HOWTO-ossdvd.html
http://tinyurl.com/lunck

mouldy

#6 Post by mouldy »

Yes, dma on. Yes two different computers. I have XP on 300mhz computer and Puppy on 600mhz computer. Both have 256+mb ram. No havent run puppy on 300mhz computer, not trying to use dvd burner anyway. Suppose its worth a try.

Basically the XP computer is only used for backups of dvds since I cant get Puppy with WINE to run DVDdecrypter. Yes it is suppose to work, but doesnt. I can get DVDshrink with WINE to work, but need both. Also found great very tiny windows mp3 player called 1by1 that works wonderfully to play audio books. It auto generates a playlist without me manually doing it. I mean manually making a playlist for a one time play of a 30 chapter book is just annoying. And both Gxine and snack require me to do this or at least I havent figured way not to.

So since I can now burn dvds reliably again with windows with burner firmware upgrade, I suppose it really doesnt matter if it works with Puppy or not, though I would prefer it did and big mystery to me why it doesnt. I will try booting puppy on XP computer and burning dvd from there.

mouldy

#7 Post by mouldy »

Booted Puppy on XP computer, tried burning dvd. 0.5x and abort, just like on other computer.