faster internet experience?

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#1 Post by Lobster »

Source code available. Could it be used in Puppy from command line with a GUI?
http://code.google.com/p/namebench/
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#2 Post by 01micko »

Lobster wrote:Could it be used in Puppy from command line with a GUI?
Of course if you really want to bloat your savefile...

Deps:
namebench was written using open-source tools and libraries such as Python, Tkinter, PyObjC, dnspython, jinja2 and graphy.
Anyway, what's not fast enough about the Puppy internet experience?

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

Anyway, what's not fast enough about the Puppy internet experience?
Some are on slower connections - I am quite happy with my broadband :)
Just an idea. . . :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

harii4

#4 Post by harii4 »

i have bad wifi (virgin mobile prepay) - i live in the sticks.
its great in the city but it feels like it takes 6 clicks to get on wifi with my 3.01 fat-free.
installed pwireless seems to help.

technosaurus

#5 Post by technosaurus »

01micko wrote:Anyway, what's not fast enough about the Puppy internet experience?

Cheers
Some of it has nothing really to do with Puppy, but with the default DNS servers that get set up through dhcp (typically from your "provider") if it takes 3 seconds to find a page and only 1 do download format and display it - the user still sees a 4 second load (I have seen it take inton the double digits on some DNS providers) ... the bad part - web pages sometimes think you are 2 states away (don't worry though its the same single girls in the ads in every city - only the city name changes ... definitely worth the speed up)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Michalis

#6 Post by Michalis »

Lobster wrote:Some are on slower connections
Faster DNS servers won't help those people at all. Slow DNS servers are noticed only in broadband access where retrieving the page is very fast and thous slow DNS servers can have an impact.

In the case of slow connection like dial up slow wireless speed or 2G mobile network the best solution is to use opera with opera turbo on. Works like as a proxy server and sends the page compressed. This way the page is reduced in size and so faster. It really makes big difference when I use internet mobile :)

Aitch

#7 Post by Aitch »

harii4

Are you getting your signal from your own router?...or piggybacking from outside?

If so, try a faster/more powerful wifi adapter/aerial, as signal strength is crucial to good performance - even curved tinfoil around the aerial will give excellent signal improvements [use one on your router too, if you have one]

http://technetz.com/index.php/2008/05/0 ... oster-diy/

Also try using OpenDNS, as Virgin's DNS servers are unreliable, I find, even on good city broadband

Aitch :)

harii4

#8 Post by harii4 »

its an VirginMobile Broadband2Go MiFi 2200 Device.

So, tinfoil will not help i'm on the edge of VirginMobile cover area.
moved it to an window on the cover side and get 2-3 bars on a good day.
but my signal strength in the house to MiFi 2200 is very good.
Only had it 3 weeks and i'm very happy with it.

Used the tinfoil trick for my buddy - he almost fell out of his chair when it worked.
duck tape and tinfoil - you can fix almost anything.

@Aitch - thanks for the tips

starhawk

#9 Post by starhawk »

In the US, the MiFi 2200 is sold by Verizon and their "it's the network" is cr*p on a good day. As in, there are days when slower-than-a-drugged-tortoise 56k dialup is faster (and more useful).

So how do I do this fabled tin foil trick? I've never heard of it, but I'll do just about anything to get a better signal as long as I don't have to dance naked on a rooftop :lol:

rjbrewer

#10 Post by rjbrewer »

starhawk wrote:In the US, the MiFi 2200 is sold by Verizon and their "it's the network" is cr*p on a good day. As in, there are days when slower-than-a-drugged-tortoise 56k dialup is faster (and more useful).

So how do I do this fabled tin foil trick? I've never heard of it, but I'll do just about anything to get a better signal as long as I don't have to dance naked on a rooftop :lol:
There's many tinfoil tricks;
this one might appeal to you. :)

Variations:
http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/
Attachments
tinfoil_hat_antenna.jpg
(27.73 KiB) Downloaded 1554 times

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

starhawk

#11 Post by starhawk »

:shock: :roll: :lol:

harii4

#12 Post by harii4 »

wow - the mother-load of signal hacks :shock:
thanks - rjbrewer
I think i'll try "# 41" this weekend.

rjbrewer

#13 Post by rjbrewer »

harii4 wrote:wow - the mother-load of signal hacks :shock:
thanks - rjbrewer
I think i'll try "# 41" this weekend.
A tip:

Signals are polarized when transmitted; so try with the receiving
device in both horizontal or vertical alignment to see which works
best.

I use the "rutilt" wireless from 4.xx puppys' for real time signal
strength testing of wifi.

Have fun.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

_Mark_

Re: faster internet experience?

#14 Post by _Mark_ »

Lobster wrote:Source code available. Could it be used in Puppy from command line with a GUI?
http://code.google.com/p/namebench/
Thanks for posting this Lobster I have for a while wondered if I have a problem with my ISP supplied and also OpenDNS DNS servers, so thought I would give this a try.

If you extract the archive and from the command line run the namebench.py with a ./namebench.py. there are a few options you can add but just as is should be fine for most uses.
You will of course have to have Python installed, if you are running the devx.sfs for your flavour of puppy all will be good, to run the GUI you need the python-tk package installed which isn't (haven't looked into that yet)
Running from command line is fine takes about 5 mins, echos a lot of stuff on the screen, don't worry too much about the output as when finished you should have a nice .html and a more detailed .csv saved in the /tmp directory.

Load the html into your fave browser to look at the report, mine reported if I used there recommended primary server I should see a 21% speed increase (we shall see)

So I have setup there recommendations on my router and browsing does seem a bit snappier.

Call me a cynic but as this has been written by Google and both times I have run this it has recommended Google Public DNS as my primary server you can make of that what you will

I will see how it goes anyway

Michalis

#15 Post by Michalis »

_Mark_ Just a question, you have dial-up or broadband access?

_Mark_

#16 Post by _Mark_ »

Broadband mate

Monsie

#17 Post by Monsie »

Hi all,

I want to review this topic again... Recently, I tried Namebench on my Debian desktop, and found that it worked very nicely. While I have been using OpenDNS for just over a year now, Namebench found two other dns connections for me that were noticeably faster... based on my broadband service and location.

So, I tried it in Wary, but I am getting a seg fault with Python which suggests to me that the package needs to be compiled though I couldn't find any information on this at the Google site, nor could I find any build scripts for compilation in the source code, so I am stumped about this at the moment. That said, compiling software is not my forte, so perhaps others can look at the source code and shed some light here...

In any event, the program is only about 4mb in size, and I think is potentially a must have utility for most of us who are no longer using a dial-up connection. I can see myself re-checking my Internet connection a couple of times a year, especially when I notice some dropped connections (as I have lately).

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Monsie

#18 Post by Monsie »

Here is an update:

I managed to get Namebench working on my Wary desktop, and it turned out that it was not necessary to compile the source code. I will post the details over in Additional Software/Utilities later today (as it is getting rather late for me to be up... and on top of that, I am fighting a cold at the moment).

In the meantime, here is a screenshot of my Namebench results at the terminal.

Monsie
Attachments
namebench-test.jpg
(178.9 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.