Firefox does not run in 1.09 Beta

Please post any bugs you have found
reallynewby

Firefox does not run in 1.09 Beta

#1 Post by reallynewby »

I have been successfully running 1.08 on a Gateway laptop from live CD with Pup001 file saved on hard drive. I have 192 meg ram. Today upgraded to 1.09. Now when I launch Firefox nothing happens at all. I can run Dillo and Sylpheed but nothing happens when I click on the Firefox icon.

If I cannot get this to work is there an easy way to go back to 1.08 and recover my pup001 file?

Thanks

MU

#2 Post by MU »

type
firefox
in a consolewindow, and copy the errormessage here.
Mark

reallynewby

#3 Post by reallynewby »

When I type Firefox in the consolewindow nothing happens....it comes right back to the command prompt with no error message.

MU

#4 Post by MU »

try to run

/usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.2/run-mozilla.sh

or

/usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.2/firefox-bin

Maybe your pup001 was not upgraded correctly, so that only the firefox-script does not find firefox.

If it fails, I have no idea.
You might have to start with a new pup001 :?
Mark

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

in Linux "firefox" and "Firefox" are DIFFERENT commands

Capitals? :oops:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

reallynewby

#6 Post by reallynewby »

I tried typing in all caps with no difference. When I try using the commands which MU suggested I get some different results:
with the run-mozilla command I get "Cannot execute ."

When I run firefox-bin command I get nothing at all - it appears to try to execute the command then comes right bacj to the command prompt on a new line with no error message.

When I reboot and run totally from RAM (with new pupoo1 file) I get the same results.

HueyNym

If it still doesn't work...

#7 Post by HueyNym »

If you still can't get firefox to run using 109 beta1 (beta2 due out tomorrow) your best bet is to replace your pup001 file with the backup you made prior to upgrading to the beta. If, for some reason you didn't make a backup (unless someone else has better news) consider it a lesson learned: BACK UP before UPGRADING - or, you end up doing what *I* always do... start all over ('cause I NEVER learn :) )

--Huey