Will latest version of SeaMonkey work on Puppy 4.2.1?[SOLVED

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Sky Aisling

Will latest version of SeaMonkey work on Puppy 4.2.1?[SOLVED

#1 Post by Sky Aisling »

EDIT: July 8, 2012 -

Shinobar's Seamonkey-2.10.1-en.sfs solution and worked perfect to replace old SeaMonkey.
See

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78601
and
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 656#637656

Hi,

I am fixing up an old COMPAQ Presario 2100US with 1 gig ram and 30 gigs storage for a friend.
I've done a full install of Puppy 4.2.1.
The SeaMonkey 1.1.15 browser needs upgrading in order to access one of his accounts. The account that won't work with SeaMonkey 1.1.15 is www.Gandi.net account messages.

Will the latest version of SeaMonkey (2.0.11?) work with Puppy 4.2.1?
If so, where do I find the .pet file to correctly download this SeaMonkey?

Or is there lesser SeaMonkey that might work?

Thank you in advance for suggestions and guidance.

The reason why I loaded Puppy 4.2.1 onto his COMPAQ is that I have a COMPAQ of similar vintage and 4.2.1 is 'running like a champ' on that machine. I am hoping that the similar combo with work as well for him. His use of the machine will be simple: access two email accounts and occasionally surf the web. Nothing fancy.
Last edited by Sky Aisling on Sun 08 Jul 2012, 16:44, edited 2 times in total.

mow9902

#2 Post by mow9902 »

If it is of any use to you ...I also run a full install of puppy 4.2.1 with kernel 2.6.25.16 on an IBM thinkpad with 30Gb HD

I also run seamonky 2.0.11 (the current version) - and upgrade regularly as new versions become available. Rather than using a .pet install I simply download the seamonkey tar file (usually something like seamonkey-x.x.tar.bz2 or maybe even seamonkey-x.x.en-US.linux-i686.tar.gz)

I unpack the file into a separate directory under my /root/my-applications, repoint any symlinks (eg like the one in /usr/bin)

The original seamonkey 1.1.15 directories are left untouched.

Everything works for me - and I also run the current version of firefox in the same way.

Sky Aisling

#3 Post by Sky Aisling »

@ mow9902
Yes, Thank you, this is helpful.
It's helpful to know it's working for you.
Also, it's helpful to know I don't need to 'uninstall' SeaMonkey 1.1.15.

Do you get the download directly from the Mozilla-SeaMonkey site? http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/#official
repoint any symlinks (eg like the one in /usr/bin)

I'll go research what 'repoint any symlinks' means. ? Where would I 'repoint the symlinks'. I have no symbolic links to SeaMonkey showing on my desktop. Or am I not understanding what 'repoint symlinks' means? Not quite a 'shortcut'?
I found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_link

Sky Aisling

#4 Post by Sky Aisling »

OK, I'm a little stuck here...

I have downloaded SeaMonkey 2.0.11 (US English) from:
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/#official

I have extracted the file (see screenshots).

The extracted folder contains all the files from SeaMonkey 2.0.11.

Where is the 'install' program?

Normally when I download and extract a program, the extract folder contains only an 'install' program.
Attachments
SMDL2.png
(82.82 KiB) Downloaded 574 times
SMDL1.png
(27.4 KiB) Downloaded 523 times

Sky Aisling

#5 Post by Sky Aisling »

oppps! somehow my text got cut off the above screenshots.

I have downloaded SeaMonkey 2.0.11 from:
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/#official

I have extracted the files (see above screenshots)

The extracted folder contains all the files from SeaMonkey 2.0.11.

Where is the install program for this application?

Normally, when I download and extract a program, the extract folder shows only an 'install' program.

I'm a little stuck at this point. What am I overlooking?

Sky Aisling

#6 Post by Sky Aisling »

Thank you, Coolpup, for your reference:

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/seamonkey

OK This is way too confusing...

Now, I can't seem to get a message to show on this post...

DM was on fire!

#7 Post by DM was on fire! »

Well in the case of Linux, you don't see only an install file...you generally see all the files, atleast as far as I've seen.
Rather than frustrate yourself, this might be of interest to you. :)

ETA - Man, I need to learn how to read.
It seems it only works for Lupu. :c

Sky Aisling

#8 Post by Sky Aisling »

Thank you, DM Was On Fire!,

I'm reading the post now...

Oppps! yes, I caught your ETA... I'm running 4.2.1. *not* Lupu... thanks

Sky

DM was on fire!

#9 Post by DM was on fire! »

Glad to help; but I would be careful with it since it's mainly meant for Lupu only.
Have you considered an upgrade to the latest version of Lupu? Or does it not work on your friend's computer? It runs wonderfully on my end.

ETA - Hah! In my own searching through repositories, I found this.
[x]

I don't know if it runs on Puppy 4.x or not but it's worth a shot!

Sky Aisling

#10 Post by Sky Aisling »

@DM was on fire!

Thank you! That worked!

I downloaded and easily installed SeaMonkey-2.0.1.pet per your link above.

I read their bug report (not sure what I read but I read).

I tested on the account site that SeaMonkey 1.1.15 wouldn't access (see my original post). SeaMonkey 2.0.1 did correctly access the site info. Looks like we're good to go.

Thank you again for taking time to research this with me.

Sky

PS SeaMonkey 2.0.1 received all of the bookmarks and passwords from the old SeaMonkey just fine. :)

mow9902

#11 Post by mow9902 »

I'm glad you got a newer version working.

My previous advice still stands.

Your file listing (of the downloaded 2.0.11) version shows a file called "seamonkey"

Change the file attributes to "exec" (owner, group, world) using rox filer 'properties' menu.

You should then be able to click on this file and start the application.

The symlink is a symbolic link (like a shortcut in the windows world). It is highlighted by an 'arrow' icon. If you hover your cursor over this file (/usr/bin/seamonkey) you will see that it refers to the original seamonkey file in the version 1.1.15 which came with the install. You simply rename this symlink to something else (eg oldseamonkey) and then create a new link pointing to the seamonkey file in the folder where you downloaded version 2.0.11.
You can do this by opening 2 windows in roxfiler. The first window will display the contents of the downloaded seamonkey 2.0.11, and the other window will show the contents of the folder /usr/bin

Simply highlight and drag the file 'seamonkey' from the 2.0.11 window to the /usr/bin window - you will be asked to choose from 'copy' , 'move', 'link relative', and 'link absolute'. Choose link relative, and you will now have a new symlink in /usr/bin which points to the newer seamonkey application.
Attachments
seamonkey symlink1.png
seamonkey symlink in /usr/bin
(2.91 KiB) Downloaded 1278 times

Sky Aisling

#12 Post by Sky Aisling »

Ah! Thank you mow9902.

I'll study this.

Perhaps the 'symlink' situation is what caused the loss of *puppyhelp*?
Puppyhelp (the *help* in *menu*) and the *help* 'shortcut' on the desktop no longer activates. They show, but don't activate. See screenshot.

Can I change the coding to point to the correct html viewer? If so, then what coding do I use?

Or, is this a deeper problem due to how symlinks work after an update?

So far only this link doesn't work but I'm about to hand this machine over to a person who is not computer literate at all (yet). I haven't noticed any other links not working. This is an important link for him starting out.
Attachments
LostHelp1.png
(44.07 KiB) Downloaded 667 times

mow9902

#13 Post by mow9902 »

/usr/sbin/puppyhelp actually executes /usr/local/bin/defaulthtmlviewer - which is a symlink to /usr/local/bin/defaulthtmlviewer - which executes /usr/local/bin/gtkmoz

So - if each of these files exists in the directories where they are expected, then puppy help should work.
You can try this out by :

-go to folder /usr/local/bin
-open a terminal window
-type gtkmoz /usr/share/doc/index/html

you should get the help window open up.

If this does not work then one of the above files is not where it is expected to be.

This is exactly why I implement newer versions of seamonkey (and firefox) the way I described previously, and leave the original seamonkey installation untouched. This ensures that none of the required folders, files or symlinks are changed.

Sky Aisling

#14 Post by Sky Aisling »

It must be the *gtkmoz*

///usr/share/doc/index.html executes and brings up the *puppyhelp* page

I'll be right back...I'm checking on *gtkmoz* to get a screenshot.

Should I start all over and install the most current SeaMonkey using your original suggestion? Or is it too late for that?

The person who will be using this system will only access email and do some web browsing.
Attachments
SymlinkError1.png
(127.73 KiB) Downloaded 667 times

Sky Aisling

#15 Post by Sky Aisling »

Looks like gtkmoz isn't there.

(didn't realize that the .pet download I loaded would wipe out original SeaMonkey 1.1.15)

mow9902

#16 Post by mow9902 »

Well you could just replace it.

Save these two files into /usr/local/bin and make them executable.

Sorry - with the attachment this time.
Attachments
gtkmoz.zip
gtkmoz and gtkmozshell
(8.24 KiB) Downloaded 447 times

l2ulinux

puppy 4.2.1

#17 Post by l2ulinux »

I use 421 sometimes. I went to the forum and went into internet and open the firedog post and then downloaded firedog 3.6.12 which is the same as firefox 3.6.12. I then setup it to work for me. If you try it let me know. I have tried some of the newer releases but trust the older releases to works great. also.

Sky Aisling

#18 Post by Sky Aisling »

Ya know what, folks?

I think I'm going to sleep on all this.

I'm thinking that... I might just have my friend run Lucid Puppy from a Live CD and try that for a while. It's so easy to run from the Live CD.

I've been tinkering with Lucid Puppy 5 and it seems to be working ok on this machine (COMPAQ Presario 2100US 1 gig ram). There's a couple of bumps but they may work out ok too.

Let's see what the morning brings. I'll check back in then. :)

PS
I'm on US Pacific time.

Sky Aisling

#19 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hello,
Well, Here's what I did after a long walk on the beach:

I took Puppy 4.2.1. off the machine by following Cat Dude's instructions on how to use GParted to clean off the machine for a fresh start: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 782#201565 (Thanks rjbrewer for the reference).

I downloaded/extracted/checked-summed (using m5sum)/then burned to disk Lucid Puppy 5.2 (aka Lupu52). I used this reference:
http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20L ... elease.htm for the download and check sum numbers.

I ran Lupu52 as a Live CD on the COMPAQ Presario 2100US. Then, using the site referenced within Lupu52 choice of browser downloads, I downloaded SeaMonkey 2.0.11. (I'm a little concerned about a terse note something about 'checking dependencies' as download went by. ?)

I'm happy to say all is good so far with a couple of exceptions.

1) SeaMonkey 2.0.11 Mail Client did *not* run smoothly. Sylpheed mail client works much better with Lupu52. Sylpheed comes as the default mail client on Lupu52. (Barry and crew again knew what they were doing when they constructed the distro.)

2) The blessed video card is going out on the machine. arrgh! Well, let's hope it's like when a transmission starts going in a car. Could go tomorrow, could go next year.

I'm turning the machine over to my friend tomorrow after a session on 'how to connect to the internet while plugged into the dock's laundromat to catch the free wifi'.

The convenient thing about running with a Live CD is that when the old machine goes belly-up, he still has his Lupu52 system in hand. I've saved the last pupsave file to a USB stick separate from the machine. (That is the last pupsave file as I set up the system.) That way, he can have somewhat of an easy starting point when he does have to switch machines.

Note to newbees reading this: My advice is try the Live CD (or better yet, USB stick) first before attempting to figure out the install process. This applies to any version of Puppy or other Linux distros.

One last question: Can anyone please tell me how to use the saved pupsave file I made to my USB stick to set the system up again on the next recycled machine when the old one finally crashes? Is there a thread for this?

Thank you, everyone, for all the help. No regrets.

Sky
Last edited by Sky Aisling on Thu 03 Feb 2011, 01:31, edited 2 times in total.

Sit Heel Speak

#20 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Sky Aisling wrote:One last question: Can anyone please tell me how to use the saved pupsave file I made to my USB stick to set the system up again on the next recycled machine when the old one finally crashes?
Ummm...just boot from the live CD, then

copy the savefile from the usb stick onto the new machine's hard drive, then
reboot from the live CD...yes?

The live CD will pick the savefile on the disk up. Or is there an angle to this that I am missing?

If you are planning to place a frugal install on the new machine, might want to do that first, and then, while booted from the live CD, copy the savefile from the usb stick to the psavedir (e.g.
/puppy520) where you installed the frugal files (vmlinuz et cetera) to.