US Robotics Voice - only dials 3 numbers

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

US Robotics Voice - only dials 3 numbers

#1 Post by Lobster »

Trying to get myUS Robotics Sportster Voice working in Puppy2alpha6

Weird I get a dial out (an improvement - used to get nothing) but only the first 3 numbers.

I have the firewall in Puppy and a hardware firewall (not sure if that is relevant) DS Linux managed to get through the hardware firewall.

Any ideas?
Last edited by Lobster on Mon 08 May 2006, 04:04, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

SnowDog

#2 Post by SnowDog »

Hi Lobster,
I don't know for sure, but I seem to recall having a similar experience with a usr external after I was friggin with the dip switches and forgot to put em back to factory settings (missed one)
But I haven't tried Puppy 2 yet (might try a d/l tonight & if successful, I'll test it with same modem as you tomorrow and let you know what mine does.
If you find my posts helpful and you want to say thanks, please consider clicking the www button under my posts to visit my website.

Sage

#3 Post by Sage »

I've run into the same issue several times with earlier versions of Puppy and reported some of them here. I had some cabling problems, but eventually had to switch to wvdial to get connected. GKdial seems to work OK on v1.0.8r1 and I seem to recall that Barry did fix something(s). I am embarrassed to admit that I tend to use Hyperterminal in another OS to verify my (external serial) modem. It has always, without exception, checked out (apart from the cabling issue). KPPP in other distros seems very relaible, too, if you want to verify your kit.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

The USRobotics works - I got it to work with DSL (Damn Small Linux)

The 3 digit dial is an improvement over zilch, nada, nothing in previous Puppys. It is a real external modem (one of the reasons I got it was in case maybe I needed it for Linux)

I use ADSL broadband but for some connections I need the Robotics modem.

Even though it is not working yet for my webcam - I was very impressed with the wizard being used (see the Howto section) and I wonder if a similar approach for modems is possible?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Sage

#5 Post by Sage »

Got the 'T' shirt, Lob!
You could try v1.0.6? This one seem to be mark a milestone in the marque.
Webcams: got one to work with some extra help from our resident guru - the other: pigdog!

SnowDog

Can't boot puppy2

#6 Post by SnowDog »

Hey Lobster,
Just wanted to let you knaow that I finally got the p2 ISO and buned it, but it won't boot for me. Tried on 3 different machines and keep getting Disk error 20, AX = 42C1, drive EF.
I have no idea what that means, so until I figure that out, I guess I can't help at all.
Sorry.
If/when I get p2 booting I'll test USR & report findings in this thread.
If you find my posts helpful and you want to say thanks, please consider clicking the www button under my posts to visit my website.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: Can't boot puppy2

#7 Post by Lobster »

SnowDog wrote:Hey Lobster,
Just wanted to let you knaow that I finally got the p2 ISO and buned it, but it won't boot for me. Tried on 3 different machines and keep getting Disk error 20, AX = 42C1, drive EF.
I have no idea what that means, so until I figure that out, I guess I can't help at all.
Sorry.
If/when I get p2 booting I'll test USR & report findings in this thread.
Did you md5sum (check) the ISO file? Maybe the download was faulty?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

SnowDog

md5sum ok

#8 Post by SnowDog »

Yep, I did check the md5sum and it was a match for the download.
I put it onto a cdrw with burn iso to CD, I fast blanked the cdrw disk with Graveman just prior to the burn. Not sure if that matters.
I've been pretty busy and haven't kept up with P2 news, so I may have missed an important step somewhere.
I'm just now going to blank a dvd-rw and try that instead. (I ran out of -r' disks)
I will also try it on a usb stick to see what if any difference.
P.S.
I tried it on another laptop and got same error except drive 9F as last bit of info.

SnowDog

P2 USR, Works for me.

#9 Post by SnowDog »

Hey Lobster.
I managed to get the P2 burned to a dvd-rw & it boots fine.
I configured my eth1 card to auto dhcp.
Installed the USR.
Configured wvdial.
Dialled out but couldn't surf.
Told system eth1 was static instead.
Dialled but wouldn't connect.
Tried GKDial.
No Problem, posting from P2 &USR Modem now.
This is the release of April 28th I think.
If you want me to do any more testing to compare with your set-up, just give a holler.
P.S. My Modem is a USR Sportster V.92 Model 5686, and I'm just running Puppy 2 from the dvd (not HDD installed yet) but have spare partition to put in on if need be.
EDIT: This surely doesn't pertain to your situation, but thought I better mention it for others following thread. I changed Proxies to auto from direct connection to net (to fix can connect but can't surf)