Firstrun-2.2 (Country Settings and more)

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
shinobar

Firstrun-2.2 (Country Settings and more)

#1 Post by shinobar »

This is the replacement of the countrywizard on Puppy.
It has cool GUI and enhanced function especially for the keyboard settings.
From this wizard you can set up console and X keyboard layout, keyboard model and variant at a time on the fly.
Countrywizard is now combined with Resolution Changer as the firstrun.

I am not sure whether this firstrun still needs to survive when the Barry's Quickset is already out. But i made an update focusing speed up in lauching dialogue.
Test release: firstrun-2.2.pet (1 Jul 2012)
Stable: firstrun-1.9.6.pet (1 Jan 2012)
Both from http://shino.pos.to/linux/puppy/

Recommended to install another setup tools: The startup sequence is controlled by the script /root/Startup/firstrun (was /root/Startup/fullstart but renamed at v1.9). Pupplet developers can edit this script for customize your startup sequence. See also /usr/share/doc/nls/countrywizard/README.txt. Maybe you also need to modify the script /usr.sbin/delayedrun.

May work on any Puppy-4.x/5.x. Does not work on ClassicPup 2.x.
Included the new the script /etc/rc.d/rc.country
This wizard is made on the basis of the firstsetup, originally a part of language_support_all (lang_support_all-1.5 contains countrywizard-0.2).
But this wizard works by stand-alone and works on any Puppy/pupplets 4.2x and later. It is implemented on LupQ, Lucid Puppy and more pupplets.

Confirmed works on:
  • Wary-500
  • Lupu-511, 520
  • Quirky-1.2
  • Fatdog-500
  • Puppy-431
  • Puppy-421
NOTES:
  1. Running xorgwizard reverts the X keyboard model and variant to the default because of the bug of the Puppy/woof. In this case you have to set back to 'us' keyboard by this countrywizard, and run again to set the keyboard as the target. Or, type 'keymap-set --load' on a virtual terminal.
  2. Languages are listed depending on the installed fonts, wqy-microhei for CJK languages, unifont for all languages.
  3. Korean(ko) and simplified Chinese(zh_CN) cannot be supported on most of Puppy's. These two are supported by lang_suppport_all.
  4. The locale using UTF-8 encoding should be '??.UTF-8', but most of Puppy and woof uses '??.utf8' instead. It can be a problem on some X based applications. If you like to use '??.UTF-8', you need to modify the script /etc/rc.d/rc.country.
CHANGES:
  • v2.0.9: fix was cli missing some locales, console font, language deatail dialog(thanks to gcmartin), etc_profile_at_shutdown, DISTRO_XORG_AUTO, splash
  • v2.0: video_driver(01micko and shinobar), fix was failed to detect INSTALLED (extralang), fix script name typo quickcountry(thanks to prmasu)
  • v1.9.9
    • fix non-utf8 charsets other than ISO-8859-1/2
    • chooselocale, timezone-set, commandline interface, making localedef, mousecheck
    • extralang(searching language pack
    • call extralang only if the locale is changed
  • v1.9.6: UTF-8 on main dialog(tnx to zigbert)
    Refreshed pinstall.sh but 01micko reports it has still problem with recent woof install. The distributer need to correct them by hand.
  • v1.9.5: Speed up in launching dialogue.
    launch once on the first boot(was twice).
    refresh drive icons on the desktop if needed(changing screen resolution with jwm).
    do not launch welcome1stboot when the pman can show it.
  • v1.9: /root/Startup/firstrun (was 'fullstart')
    removed but optional numlockx binary because of the potential incompatibility (thanks to barry)
    removed but optional extralang which is experimental
    keep languege list to speed up at repeated run
  • v1.8.4: /etc/hosts (thanks to micko), fixed was always list all
  • (The version number 1.8.3 is skipped.)
  • v1.8.2: Bugfixed the issue: GMT+n/GMT-n may be reverted to UTC.
  • v1.8.1: no sandbox for Xvesa, Switching Xvesa to Xorg, leave 'changed' at status, extralang, fix was lang_check failed to change from pt_BR
  • v1.7: Do not translate tooltip-text "Choose main language", read Xorg driver name from xorg.conf or from /var/log/Xorg.0.log, fix change_xrandr, CLOCKFLICKER, 'us' keymap near the top, rc.country contained in the package, backward compatibility loadkeys(rc.country)
  • v1.6: detection of xvesa resolution
  • v1.5: avoid @euro.UTF-8, same languege at the top of the list
  • v1.4: Support Xvesa, Puppy 4.2x backward compatibility, Xvasa support, depth
    # 4dec10 v1.4: Xvesa link precaution for xorgwizard (thanks to sc0ttman )
  • (The version number 1.3 is skipped.)
  • v1.2: refresh rate near 60Hz, nvidia, clone of xrandrshell, support locale with '@', hostname
  • v1.1: again the lowest frequency for the refresh rate for .xinitrc
  • v1.0: include changing screen resolusion, xorgwizard button, sandbox for new keyboard layout, utf8 required other than ISO-8859-1/2, umlockx, exit 0 when closed the main dialog, suppress shortcut-keys on the keyboard sandbox, ensure taking the lowest frequency for the refresh rate of the screen, Xvesa support
  • ver.0.7 (29 Aug 2010): fixed was not able to choose UTF-8 encoding in some locale, contain keymap-set.
  • ver.0.4 (12 Aug 2010): fixed was failed azerty(fr) keyboard.
Last edited by shinobar on Sun 01 Jul 2012, 06:48, edited 38 times in total.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Stripe

#2 Post by Stripe »

Hi Shinobar

Works fine for me (507), easy and simple to use as well.

Stripe

fyujj

#3 Post by fyujj »

Thank you for this, shinobar.
I installed it in Lupu 508 beta3. It worked fine for the locale and for the keyboard layout.
The clock though seems not to be there yet.
For some reason (I think by chance) in the live-CD the clock was exactly 12 h ahead or behind (didn't check). Then I set it to Brazil/East and checked the "Hardware clock to UTC" and in the same instant the clock was correct, so I was delighted (a small delight but you get it). It asked for a reboot and then the clock was set to the UTC time.
So I ran Desktop > Country settings > Set hardware-clock type and it was set correctly but it had that extra prompt for whether to set the software clock from the hardware or vice-versa then the time was corrected.

fyujj

#4 Post by fyujj »

Hi shinobar, I've just seen that although the applications that have a pt_BR locale file are translated to pt_BR, the general system entries (like cancel, print, save, save as, close and quit) are in an eastern european language (Czech, Hungarian or the like). (??)
Now I don't know yet if it's a bug from Lupu or from the Countrywizard so I will try to setup the locale with a different tool to see if it helps.
-edit- it was a Lupu issue as it had the gtk20.mo file missing. Don't know why it fell back to an eastern European language though.

fyujj

#5 Post by fyujj »

Hmm, I noticed that the tray clock is going back to UTC (hardware clock's time) after an X restart (changed between window managers), so the problem may be not located in Countrywizard nor in the clock settings app but in Xwin instead.

shinobar

the timezone bug

#6 Post by shinobar »

fyujj wrote:Hmm, I noticed that the tray clock is going back to UTC (hardware clock's time) after an X restart (changed between window managers), so the problem may be not located in Countrywizard nor in the clock settings app but in Xwin instead.
It was the timezone bug of Lupu-5.1 and fixed on LupQ-005 and later.
Thanks.

shinobar

firstrun-1.4

#7 Post by shinobar »

firstrun-1.4.pet is released.
May work on any Puppy-4.2x/5.x. Not tested on Puppy 4.1x and older.
Included the new the script /etc/rc.d/rc.country, supports '*.UTF-8' for the locale name.

jemimah

#8 Post by jemimah »

I'm trying to get this to work on Fluppy, but it doesn't seem to set the locale correctly. I get messages in the terminal about how it's falling back to the "C" locale.

Running chooselocale solves the problem. Any ideas?

shinobar

locale g

#9 Post by shinobar »

jemimah wrote:I'm trying to get this to work on Fluppy, but it doesn't seem to set the locale correctly.
Have you tried firstrun-1.4?

jemimah

#10 Post by jemimah »

Yes. That's the one I'm testing with.

jemimah

#11 Post by jemimah »

Ok I think I have that particular problem sorted. Is the error about a missing /etc/fontmap something I need to worry about?

shinobar

/etc/fontmap

#12 Post by shinobar »

jemimah wrote:Ok I think I have that particular problem sorted.
Is the error about a missing /etc/fontmap something I need to worry about?
/etc/fontmap issue is puzzling. It seems doesn't work as expected but does problem with some hardware.
I intend the file /etc/fontmap to be blank.
See the posts:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2&start=14

jemimah

#13 Post by jemimah »

Ok. I think I have it going straight to the desktop nicely now... Looking forward to the new shutdown gui as well.

shinobar

firstrun-1.6

#14 Post by shinobar »

Updated: firstrun-1.6
Mainly refined startup script(/root/Startup/fullstart), supporting pupsaveconfig.
You can modify the script fitting your distribution.
Xvesa support improved.

jemimah

#15 Post by jemimah »

I believe I solved the problem with French Canadian keymaps.

I changed /usr/share/i18n/keymaps. I edited the line where it says "cf% (canada)" to "qc%(canada)"

You can test for yourself that cf will not stick. But qc seems to be fine and someone with a French Canadian keyboard recommended it.

shinobar

Canadian French keyboard layout

#16 Post by shinobar »

jemimah wrote:I believe I solved the problem with French Canadian keymaps.
I changed /usr/share/i18n/keymaps. I edited the line where it says "cf% (canada)" to "qc%(canada)"
Basic problem is: The console keymap 'cf' and 'ca' for Xorg seems legacy Canadian French keyboard layout, and the modern(?) 'qc' has no corresponding console keymap.

We can put 'qc' on the /usr/share/i18n/keymaps,
but note that the console keymap is set to 'us' in this case. If we are running Xvesa, not Xorg, there is no way because the Xvesa follows the console keymap... :(

Anyway, thanks jemimah for the information.

jemimah

#17 Post by jemimah »

What I didn't figure out, is why cf won't stick. Probably this problem exists with other console keymaps,

shinobar

firstrun-1.7

#18 Post by shinobar »

firstrun-1.7
/usr/sbin/countrywizard.qs
# 9jan11 v1.7: read Xorg driver name from xorg.conf or from /var/log/Xorg.0.log
# : fix change_xrandr was crash with multiple monitors, CLOCKFLICKER, 'us' keymap near the top
/etc/rc.d/rc.country
# 5jan11 backward compatibility loadkeys
# 9jan11 ASKKMAP the list order when pfix=nox (depends on the rc.sysinit)

It does not support 'qc'(Quebec). You can add the entry in the /usr/share/i18n/keymaps as jemimah says.

shinobar

Firstrun-1.8.1

#19 Post by shinobar »

Updated Firstrun-1.8.1. (Built in the Multilingual Wary-500m06)
# 12jan11 v1.8: no sandbox for Xvesa, Switching Xvesa to Xorg
# 21jan11 v1.8.1: leave 'changed' at status, extralang, fix was lang_check failed to change from pt_BR

Confirmed works on:
* Wary-500
* Puppy-431
* Puppy-421

shinobar

GMT+-n issue

#20 Post by shinobar »

An issue: GMT+n/GMT-n may be reverted to UTC.
Solution: Remove the file /usr/share/i18n/timezones if it exists.
Edit: Yes, it is 'timezones'. Thanks jemimah.

For pupplet distributors:
  1. Remove the file /usr/share/i18n/timezones.
  2. After removing, run countrywizard.
  3. /tmp/contrywizard-timezones will be generated. (or another names /tmp/*-timezones)
  4. Rename it and copy as the new /usr/share/i18n/timezones.
Last edited by shinobar on Tue 01 Feb 2011, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.