How do I reinstall grub?

Booting, installing, newbie
flamesage

How do I reinstall grub?

#1 Post by flamesage »

How would I do it?
(Sorry about all of the single questions, I just want to get everthing setup in my puppy before I acutally start to get down to using it)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

No need to apologize; it is good to limit your questions to one per post. When several unrelated questions are crammed into one post, it is sometimes hard to figure out what the subject line shoud be, or where the post should be in the forum.

As to your question: what do you mean by "reinstall?" Was GRUB once on the HD? Do you really mean a fresh install? :?

flamesage

#3 Post by flamesage »

When I went to install puppylinux in the first place, they were saying how Grub was hard to install, so I was like "Ok, i will just install that later."

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

So, how are you booting Puppy from the HD now? (Just out of curiosity.)

flamesage

#5 Post by flamesage »

I have to use a floppy, but I don't BELIEVE thats grub bootloader in there because I told it to skip grub (now I wish I hadn't)

rarsa

#6 Post by rarsa »

What other distribution do you have in the HDD?

Aren't you lucky? I just posted the instructions to compile GRUB and install it to floppy in Vector. If you already have GRUB installed, just follow the instructions at the end of my post.

If you did not install it but your distro already has a way to install the binaries (yum or slapt-get or apt-get, etc) just install it as any other application and skip the compilation portion

My nickname there is also rarsa so it's easy to find my post. Right now it's at the bottom of the thread.

Please note that the menu.lst file that i wrote there corresponds to that particular person's configuration, your's will be different, but I am sure that you'll figure that one out. (if you don't, don't hesitate to ask)

If what you want to do is to install it to the HDD boot sector, tell me and I'll give you the instructions.

flamesage

#7 Post by flamesage »

Do you ALWAYS need the floppy disk in there to boot puppy? Or is there anyway you can install that into your hard-drive too?

rarsa

#8 Post by rarsa »

Of course you can install GRUB to your HDD (I don't even have a floppy drive in my main desktop and I have several OS's in there)

As for the laptop, I always boot puppy from CD.

But my question remains. What other OS's do you have in your computer or have access to?

flamesage

#9 Post by flamesage »

None.
I was going to install windows XP, but the stupid system recovery disks just gave me errors. So Im back wth a formatted hard-drive, just having puppy on it.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#10 Post by Lobster »

This wiki page needs sorting out but it does have info on the Grub install
further down

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/HardDiskInstall

I do have Puppy on a hard disk (booting from Grub) - but like Barry our Pup in chief, prefer to boot from CD which I leave in the drawer. That way I can also boot up in Windows which I have on the HD

Puppy configuaration and other stuff is saved on the Windows disk. This I have found the most reliable way of booting Windows and Puppy. In the past I have found both Windows and Linux try and take over the booting sequence or interfere with each other.

You might think you need to install Puppy on HD to have a 'proper system'
I have found the CD the easiest method and much faster and more usable than the slow boot ups of the admittedly powerful Knoppix and its derivatives

yes put Puppy on a HD for the experience

Good luck :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

Why do you want to install to HD when you can boot and load the whole OS into RAM, entirely from the CD? Your configuration and other saved stuff is stored in a pup001 file on the HD, put there for the purpose. You can remove the CD and, without an OS on the HD, that pup001 file is very secure against prying eyes. Finally, upgrading to the newest version of Puppy is as easy as burning a new bootable CD from the latest downloaded iso. Is Barry a genius or what? :)