Lucid Puppy 5.2: no sound

Please post any bugs you have found
jac

Lucid Puppy 5.2: no sound

#1 Post by jac »

Hi,
i am a new comer to Linux OS. Installed lucid puppy 5.2 through a USB(by Unetbootin) in my netbook (Samsung,1GB ram). All working fine, but with the error of Speaker not working, audio files in netbook harddrive is not visible for playing music.
i need ur help. Also i like to know how to install a pet file.
thnx

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Have you run Alsa Sound Wizard?
Menu -> Setup -> Alsa Sound Wizard.
Also this can fix a lot of sound problems.
Right-click the speaker icon in the system tray and choose Full Window. Enable Master, PCM, Front and any others that seem likely and also turn up the volume in each. This should fix things a good percentage of the time.

Learn about Lucid Puppy Linux 5.2
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115

To install pet file:
Download file
In Rox (the file manager) find the pet file you downloaded
Left mouse click on pet file to install

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: LUCID PUPPY 5.2

#3 Post by Flash »

jac wrote:...audio files in netbook harddrive is not visible for playing music.
What sort of audio files are they? Perhaps they're a proprietary format that Linux doesn't recognize. Is everything else on the hard drive visible?
...Also i like to know how to install a pet file.
It should install itself if you just click on it. Have you tried that?

duck1dong

#4 Post by duck1dong »

Is it really that easy to install .pet files? Just download them, find where they are saved and left click?

What about tgz files? Do these files require $/.configure, $make, $make install, and if so where and how do you type these commands(under the right click on the file in the file folder and then the run option you type those in? This doesnt seem to work.)

I have no volume icon, the ALSA taskbar says I have 4 sound cards, I have selected two of them, they are apparently loaded, but still no sound icon and no sound!!!

`f00

#5 Post by `f00 »

Yep, a dotpet is a puppy msi, more-or-less - .tar.gz packages you simply extract in some nice clean directory and follow the included documentation - if you have to compile you will need a suitable environment (usually available as an added squashfile, <puptype>devx_<version#>.sfs), but mostly that's seldom needed unless you really like to compile.

sound can be iffy, no experience with p52x but sometimes you have to prefer or blacklist a device in bootmanager (old first-found audio device issue) ~or~ maybe multi-soundcard issue? (not much experience there either, but usually better to prefer the soundcard that's separate rather than an old unused oem-onboard device, if you have a headset plugged in it may be listed as an audio device but it's not really a soundcard). Figure out which is which and use alsamixer to get some audio while playing some source like a CD. Occasionally a particular channel has to be muted. hth