PwrKap + GUI as .pets, do not work in Puplite 4.0 [SOLVED]

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
starhawk

PwrKap + GUI as .pets, do not work in Puplite 4.0 [SOLVED]

#1 Post by starhawk »

Made these with deb2pet but it doesn't work in Wary 500. I'm not learned enough to debug... so if someone will help me out, that would be great.

EDIT: switched to Puplite 4.0. still don't work.
Attachments
pwrkap-gui_7.30-1ubuntu1_all.pet
Broken right now
(13.08 KiB) Downloaded 572 times
pwrkap_7.30-1ubuntu1_all.pet
Broken right now.
(40.47 KiB) Downloaded 583 times
Last edited by starhawk on Thu 03 Feb 2011, 01:24, edited 2 times in total.

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

Please help... this is very important to me.

Issues:

(1) Does not run from menu or bash. One must go into the directory where the exec is and run it from there.

(2) Seems to be missing something called matplotlib. I /think/ that's a library... but it wasn't mentioned in the Ubuntu page I downloaded the *.deb from, IIRC. All I know is that it won't run right without that.

I'm sorry that I don't know this stuff better; I'm trying to learn... unfortunately, in this case that means falling flat on my face.

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

Matplotlib is a pretty common dependency for Python programs. Like all python packages you probably need a package to match your version of Python. Which Python package are you using? Which Puppy?
Last edited by disciple on Tue 25 Jan 2011, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

I'm trying to make this work in Wary 500, but ideally, it would be nice to also have it work in most other puplets. i.e. I'm hoping to custom-build my own Puppy with Woof (I'm a fast learner) and I want this to work within it.

Python 2.6.4-i486 is the Python I found on the Wikka site, and am therefore using.

starhawk

#5 Post by starhawk »

hello...?

starhawk

#6 Post by starhawk »

Still interested in this.

Would it be possible to make these work in Puplite?

starhawk

#7 Post by starhawk »

Would someone be interested in helping me with this? It's really very frustrating to sit here and not have an answer to my problem.

I tried using src2pkg, it says it worked... but it didn't. Probably not src2pkg's fault.

I can't seem to get matplotlib and the original debs for pwrkap to upload here, so instead I'll just point to where I got them.

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/pwrkap
http://packages.debian.org/testing/admin/pwrkap-gui
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/python-matplotlib

Also, if I'm attempting to reinvent the wheel here (i.e. there's something out there that already does this) please point me to what's already been done.

disciple

#8 Post by disciple »

Hi again, sorry for not replying earlier.

The thing to watch out for when borrowing python packages from other distros is that they all seem to install everything in different places. Assuming the matplotlib package is not compiled against libraries that are incompatible with those in your puppy, you can probably get it to work by moving its files into the folders that your Python expects them to be in.

Look in ~/.packages for the list of files installed by your Python package, and compare it to the files from the matplotlib directory - you should be able to figure out where to move the latter files to. There may be several locations you need to move files from and to.

e.g. someone here had to move files from /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/PIL/python2.6 to /usr/lib/python2.6, and IIRC I described doing the same thing (but different locations) with packages from several different distros in my first pdfshuffler post.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#9 Post by disciple »

But check first that you don't already have matplotlib installed in the right places, and the error isn't something else: what happens if you start python in a terminal and (in the python shell) run `import matplotlib? Looking at the debian package page I suspect you will have other missing dependencies still, e.g. Tkinter and numpy. (BTW personally I think this package is ridiculously dependency-heavy for what it does. Are the alternatives no good? Do you really need the gui?)

And please try to be more specific when describing any problems. e.g. what did you try using src2pkg for? Matplotlib? Pwrkap?
Did you take this into account?
What error did you get after installing all the packages you have attached/linked?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

starhawk

#10 Post by starhawk »

All I really want is something in the tray that reports (in watts, if possible) how much power the CPU is using at any given time. Nothing fancy.

And I don't want it to duplicate itself every time I refresh the desktop :roll: I found something called ppower that allows for power modes, but the old, old pet that I found doesn't have a menu entry, so I had to make JWM swallow it -- meaning that if I refresh my desktop (to edit JWM or whatever), I get a duplicate process.

starhawk

#11 Post by starhawk »

Well... I found that the CPU Freq Scaling Tool + PMConky will (sorta) do what I'm looking for, which is to tell how much power the CPU is using.

So I'm going to go ahead and mark this topic [SOLVED] even though I didn't really get what I was looking for.