PCI: No Known interrupt for pin A of Device 00:13.1...

Booting, installing, newbie
DrDave

PCI: No Known interrupt for pin A of Device 00:13.1...

#1 Post by DrDave »

...Please try using pci=biosirq

When attempting to boot the Puppy CD "mean puppy" using any of the 4 options my Toshiba Satellite 335CDT appears to have a problem with the PCMCIA section of the script. My question for this fourm is how is it that I pass the requested parameter to the script? Specifically, what would I need to type at the boot prompt to execute a boot option and navigate past this problem?

Nathan F

#2 Post by Nathan F »

This is a Toshiba laptop, right? They almost always have this problem.

See this thread:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=7216

You can pass the option to the kernel at the boot prompt like this:

Code: Select all

1 nopcmcia
But Puppy has some pcmcia startup hardcoded into the bootup sequence, so it will still fail at the same point. There is a more drastic way of doing this:

Code: Select all

1 pci=off
This shuts off anything pci related, so that pcmcia is also skipped. My laptop will boot up all the way to the gui if I do this but as you can imagine very little hardware works. It might get you up and running until I can finish the remaster I'm working on. The remaster skips pcmcia completely but leaves the rest of the pci devices untouched. Look for it sometime after 109 releases, probably next week.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

DrDave

Toshiba PCMCIA Workaround

#3 Post by DrDave »

This almost never happens, but I found a workaround. To avoid having to disable *all* of the PCMCIA functions I went into TSETUP (escape + Power on) and changed the Controller Mode to PCIC Compatable (page 2). This allowed me to boot with option 1 - normal (correct for my model machine).

My only tasks now are to configure my wireless card and test for some kind of noise.

Nathan F

#4 Post by Nathan F »

Sounds good. I'll have to try that on mine.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

DrDave, it might be of some help to other members of this forum if you specified what machine you are talking about.

DrDave

FYI...Machine Type

#6 Post by DrDave »

I should have been a bit more specific. I am using a Toshiba Satellite 335CDT. The 'workaround' has not produced a successfully configured PCMCIA device or a functioning sound card (both PCMCIA devices on this model) but does allow the OS to boot without turning them off.

I hope this helps.

Dave