Following sound cards seem incompatible with Linux?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
duck1dong

Following sound cards seem incompatible with Linux?

#1 Post by duck1dong »

If you have the following 4 sound cards as detected by the ALSA wizard in Lucid 5.2, you likely wont have a sound icon or any sound at all from speakers or headphones I think the below cards are incompatible even if the ALSA wizard wants to drive them:

1)Riptide: Rockwell Int'l Riptide PCI Audio controller
2)Legacy: Probe: legacy ISA(non-PnP) chips
3)USB-Audio: Override: USB sound device
4)aoa: Override: Apple onboard Audio

So it seems if you have any of these they may be incompatible with Lucid 5.2, as I dont think anyone has engineered a .pet or other program to make these cards readable by the ALSA wizard, even if the ALSA wizard can see them it cant get them to work because the chips may incorporate other things than sound(not sure, modem maybe?).

So look at the sound card in your computer and check. This may be why you have no sound, not compatible with Linux, however I could be totally wrong, not sure.

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

I thought I posted this before, but it looks like something went wrong.

FYI 2), 3) and 4) were not detected by ALSA. They are cards which cannot be detected, so they are presented as options so you can choose them if you know that you have one.

If 1) was detected then I think it should work, as long as you make sure that the volume is up and nothing is muted or anything. But you have far too many threads running on this, so I won't try to help here.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER