No audio in Quirky 1.3, Puppy 5.2 or Wary 5 (Solved, mostly)

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
AJK101

No audio in Quirky 1.3, Puppy 5.2 or Wary 5 (Solved, mostly)

#1 Post by AJK101 »

I have a home built computer, I wanted to listen to music, so i plugged in a set of headphones, and tried on youtube, the flash and everything works fine, but no audio, i also tried restarting computer, etc. etc. I do not have speakers yet, but headphones should work right?

I am using Quirky 1.3, Intel Atom Processor, 1GB RAM. using integrated audio.

Help is very much appreciated

Dewbie

#2 Post by Dewbie »

Did you run the sound wizard?
(I don't have Quirky, but sound wizard is usually found in Menu / Setup.)

AJK101

Sound Wizard - Check

#3 Post by AJK101 »

Yes, Alsa sound wizard in Setup did the following:

Searched for my card, found 4 things:
hda-intel Intel corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio
legacy Probe: legacy ISA (non-PnP) Chips
usb-audio Override: usb sound device
aoa Override: apple onboard audio

I have an intel motherboard, so i picked the first option, and it asked me to press yes to configure snd-hda-intel, and then it said completed, and asked if it should play a tone to check out the configurations, to which i replied yes, and then a line came giving specifications about the beep, and it exited. No sound had come though, so no it did not work.

Dewbie

#4 Post by Dewbie »

You might want to try another Puppy, to help diagnose the source of the problem.

AJK101

puppy?

#5 Post by AJK101 »

Before quirky i used to use Puppy 5.2, I switched to quirky as it has seamonkey built in which i prefer. Even in puppy 5.2 the same problems arose, so i doubt it has something to do with quirky. Also, before that wary 500 also did not give any audio.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Have you browsed through the Audio section of the forum? Perhaps there is something there that would help you troubleshoot the problem.

Also it might help if you told us what motherboard you have. That's where the onboard audio is located, not the CPU.

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

I do not have speakers yet, but headphones should work right?
Not necessarily. Where do you have them plugged in? Do you have a speaker icon showing in your system tray? If so, sound is probably configured correctly. Is the volume turned up?

I would get a set of speakers.

AJK101

Answers

#8 Post by AJK101 »

Okay lets see, I did not see that there is an audio section on the forums at all, my mistake, shall scan it through, i normally just directly go to the beginners forum :P
About the motherboard, I forgot to mention this: The processor (intel atom) is also integrated into the motherboard (already fixed) the whole package, including the motherboard is intel, i could give you the model if necessary.

The speaker icon does appear, and i checked all that stuff (following some post that google came up with) and i checked full config and all that too (but all that comes up even when i don't have any audio device attached). And lastly, I plug it into a jack on the motherboard, it is given there that it is for the headphones, but just to give it a try, i tried all of them :P I also tried it out from an external docking station that i have (which is connected to the motherboard vis usb drive) and that was also not helpful.

Thanks for trying to help out guys :)

puppynew

Change alsa file

#9 Post by puppynew »

I think you need to change the alsa mixer filer and eneter your pc make there then save restart and you will have sounds in your ear phones

AJK101

puppynew

#10 Post by AJK101 »

2 questions,:

how do i find my pc build??

Could you explain a bit more, how to change alsa mixer filer?
( If you mean type alsamixer in terminal and alter settings there, or the alsa wizard, i have tried those already)

rcrsn51

Re: Sound Wizard - Check

#11 Post by rcrsn51 »

AJK101 wrote:hda-intel Intel corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio
legacy Probe: legacy ISA (non-PnP) Chips
usb-audio Override: usb sound device
aoa Override: apple onboard audio.
I have a similar setup to yours. It's an Intel Atom D510MO board and Puppy shows exactly the same sound card choices.

However, there's not much power coming out the speaker port, so it really needs amplified speakers.

You are using the green plug?

AJK101

its working!

#12 Post by AJK101 »

In response to rcrsn51, yes the green ones.

It got fixed.

When rcrsn51 said it might not work with headphones, i tried the following, i took a wire and connected my laptop and my homebuilt pc. Now when i tried it on, it worked on the inbuilt speakers that my laptop has. After doing this, i checked if my headphones were working again on the laptop and they were working. I stopped all audio things, alsa, muted all volumes, and then restarted and again i tried all the stuff i had read today, restart alsa, running alsa wizard, max volumes, etc. and rebooted. now when i restarted the pc, it just worked perfectly, but 2 problems came up, the sound is very low, which i found weird and got cleared by rcrsn51's last post (thanks!), and now the speaker icon in the tray just disappeared (yeah! right after it started working!).

Aftermath: Everything works fine now, i restarted a few times to just check it. and the speaker icon in the tray has just disappeared. I don't mind that very much though.

Thanks a lot for all your help everyone :)