VLC skin seems stuck - SOLVED

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
bones01

VLC skin seems stuck - SOLVED

#1 Post by bones01 »

Hi all,

I'm using lucid 5.2 with a frugal install and d/led VLC as SFS from the quickpet menu. It was working well and I was finally able to use this with PupRadio to listen to a local radio station (mplayer wouldn't do it for some reason)

I don't remember changing the skin, but every time VLC opens now, it looks like this - see below - and I can't change it back. I can't get to an options menu or anything to change any of the options. The button in the top left corner says "VLC Menu" but it won't open.

Would anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Bones
Last edited by bones01 on Fri 11 Feb 2011, 08:22, edited 1 time in total.
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

bones01

#2 Post by bones01 »

I thought I'd take a chance and remove VLC from my system, then download a fresh copy and see how that goes. But quickpet won't allow me to download another copy from the "sfs get" tab. When I try I get this message:
You already have downloaded VLC. Check Bootmanager to see if you already have it loaded.
I've checked. It's not there.

But quickpet still won't allow me to get a fresh copy.

Why would this be?

I really wanted to use the sfs version, but it seems I've struck out, at least for now.
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

bones01

#3 Post by bones01 »

I've just installed the .pet version from quickpet and get the same screen. Still can't access the VLC menu.

Frustrations rise!!! :x
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Makoto

#4 Post by Makoto »

Try deleting VLC's preferences folder. (Note: This will reset all your settings to default, so if you prefer, you can back everything up, first, or just rename the folder to something else.) It should be a hidden folder (so you may need to turn viewing of hidden files and directories on in ROX, or whatever file manager you're using) named .vlc, off the root directory (~/.vlc)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

bones01

#5 Post by bones01 »

thanks Makoto. I moved the .vlc file away out of /root and that seems to have made the difference. I don't know why that should make a difference, but it seems that it did.

Thanks for the response and the idea.

bones
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Makoto

#6 Post by Makoto »

Basically, what you're doing by deleting/moving the .vlc folder is resetting VLC to its default settings (including the skin). VLC will create a new ~/.vlc folder with the default settings, if it doesn't exist.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).