How do I install EMC2 Engineering/Science simulator?

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
eccentric

How do I install EMC2 Engineering/Science simulator?

#1 Post by eccentric »

I have placed a request for help under engineering . science . simulation.
with the installation of EMC2.

Michael an eccentric Englishman.

GustavoYz

Re: How do I install EMC2 Engineering/Science simulator?

#2 Post by GustavoYz »

eccentric wrote:I have placed a request for help under engineering . science . simulation.
with the installation of EMC2.
This program? :
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=63973

eccentric

emc2

#3 Post by eccentric »

Hello GustavoYz.
Thank you for the pointer to that Pet, but i cannot make it run, from what i can gather it is a simulation.
Michael.

disciple

#4 Post by disciple »

Can you provide a link to the program you mean, if that is not it?
but i cannot make it run
Why not? Do you get an error message if you try to start it from a terminal?
Did you install the dependencies?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

eccentric

Installing EMC2

#5 Post by eccentric »

Hello Disciple, The pet i installed was the one recommended by Emil, and written by "Deepsea". i tried both 5.2 & 4.3.1 with the extra file. but from the terminal it will start, then said it failed.. in the message in root there is no reason given. but i understand it is only a simulation. what i am looking for is a working Puppy with EMC2. i am limited to "hello world" in the art of software. i am more electronics, electro mechanical minded, ( this is that i know which end of a screwdriver to hold and not get a shock from the mains ) i have all ready designed and built the stepper motor drivers. and tested them with the old EMC, it is no longer supported..
thank you for your interest in this matter, Michael an eccentric.

P.S are we not all disciples of B.K. ??????

emil

#6 Post by emil »

Can this give some hint?
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?Ins ... 2_realtime
realtime kernel = Puppy studio -just a guess

eccentric

EMC2

#7 Post by eccentric »

Hello again Emil, thank you for your suggestion, i looked at the site, but with my lack of knowledge in the matter of software, to say i would find it difficult is an under statement, I have downloaded puppy studio 3.3 and burnt a dvd. and i will write to the author, and ask it possible to add EMC2
as his base has the real time included.

Thanks for the prompt reply .......... Michael.

GustavoYz

Quiestions

#8 Post by GustavoYz »

Did you try to boot up the sfs into StudioPup?

eccentric

emc2

#9 Post by eccentric »

Hello again GustavoYz, thank you for your suggestion, i have on a thumb drive emc2.2.2.7, but i need to make this into a sfs file before the converter program can convert this to a format that 3.3 can use. i do not know how to achieve this. I downloaded 2.2.27 some while ago, but will get the latest version when i find out how to convert to sfs file system.
I am writing to you from .3.3., i have written to the author of 3.3 to ask for his advice.

Michael

emil

#10 Post by emil »

eccentric,

according to the puppy studio thread it is based on lucid 5.2
So the emc pet package should work there. I don't understand what converion you mean?

emil

eccentric

EMC2

#11 Post by eccentric »

Emil, and GustavoYz,
I did try the pet written by Deepsea in 3.3 but the result was the same. my understanding of SFS file system is that you enter a program that is already in SFS format, and the converter program
will reformat the program you entered in to a SFS that the kernel of the puppy you are using will recognize, but i would not be surprised to find i have misunderstood the working of SFS. I wrote a PM to the author of 3.3
he replied that 3.1 would be better as that is stable, and 3.3 is beta.
also he said he is not familiar with Emc2. So what i need to know is how to convert the EMC2 file i downloaded from their site in to a SFS file that i can add to studio 3.1 . any help is most welcome, to help me overcome my lack of knowledge in this matter.
Now i must find a copy of studio 3.1 to download.
I am sorry i have to ask the most mundane questions, but this how i learn, you can teach an old dog new tricks, but it is not easy.

Michael.

GustavoYz

#12 Post by GustavoYz »

Hi Mike, try should work:

Do this on the Puppy (or pupplet in which you'd like to use the results):
**1º Put the pet that you want to turn into an SfS file inside an empty folder. You're going to need free space on that partition, so make sure of having it before keep going.
**2º Rename the pet, modifying the '.pet' extension by 'tar.gz'. Don't worry about the error msg, its normal.
**3º Now extract this new 'Wherever.tar.gz' (just hit 'extract all' after open it). Now you should see a new folder with exactly the same name that the tar.gz file of previous step.
**4º Right on an empty area of that folder to open the ROX contextual menu. There choose Window >> Terminal Here (that's going to open a console).
**5º In the console, write dir2pet and the exactly name of the folder in the 3º step. For example, if the pet name its just 'emc2', the code should be:

Code: Select all

dir2pet emc2
Let it finish (it takes some time)...

Now you'll see a new SFS file and a txt file (you can ignore that, its the md5 checksum). Move it to your home partition and run the 'Boot Manager' to add it into the layered file system.

Sorry, maybe its not a clear tutorial but it should work...
Hope so.
Regards.

eccentric

Emc2

#13 Post by eccentric »

GustavoYz, Thank you for this detailed help, i will have a short sleep,then a strong coffee, then latter i will let you i how i got on with this.
i am sure once i have mastered this skill, i will not have to keep asking for help. at the moment i am downloading studio 3.1 then i will burn a DVD

Michael.

eccentric

emc2

#14 Post by eccentric »

Hello GustavoYz. after downloading studio 3.1 i could not see the sfs program in this version.. so i am writing to you from studio 3.3.... Now i have been to sourceforge and downloaded EMC2_2.4.4.tar.gz the latest version. could you be very kind and modify your instructions to use this version. i have saved this on a thumb drive, as i will loose it on shut down. the icon is an open box, but no puppy, as this icon is used for pets with a puppy,s head and a box..
I can extract the files from the tar.gz and there are many.
the old one, emc2.2.2.7 downloaded as a folder, when you clicked on it you get many files, about 33meg. the new one must be compressed, as the down load is only 10.5 meg.

Thank you for your help thus far............Michael.

GustavoYz

#15 Post by GustavoYz »

Hi again Michael 'the eccentric'...
Its running on my new Lucid Puppy 520. I'm thinking on place a request for help to do something with it :D... Jokes Besides, this is what i did to make it run on here (i don't test too much, just choose a few configurations until find one that works).

*Download and install this pets:
http://dotpups.de/puppy4/dotpups/Science/emc2/emc2.pet
http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/em ... kinter.pet
*Now get the devxxx SFS and put it into the bootmanager, in order to have python running. If you're running Lucid 520, like me, get it on here http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... vx_520.sfs. This SFS part its very important, so be sure of have it done.
Check the second cap, sfs_load.

Then, if its posible, reboot your computer and reload all the puppy sistem.

Open the console and write this:

Code: Select all

emc
I have absolutely no idea of what all those options means... But i choose 'max5triv.ini' and works (see the first cap). When i choose another, it doesn't becouse its missing some .so file...
Attachments
sfs_load.jpg
(44.79 KiB) Downloaded 2604 times

GustavoYz

#16 Post by GustavoYz »

I'm wondering if it works for him...
:roll:

eccentric

EMC2

#17 Post by eccentric »

Hello GustavoYz,
Sorry to tell you i cannot get it to run, I run all my Puppy,s from a DVD.
512meg ram, 700megpen drive for swap file and any thing i wish to keep, i store on a second pen drive. i only save to the DVD the basics , net work pppoe, printer driver.
I down loaded the sfs file, but in the manager the other two files where in bold black, but the sfs file was gray, i tried to save the files i down loaded but my machine said insufficient memory.
Looking at the files you sent me of your success, and from Emil, i think
it is a simulation or only one channel.
I think the way for me to go, is to remove the large files from studio 3.1, re master, then find out how to add the latest Emc2, it is in tar.gz format.
I know there is a " how to" on re mastering. I will try this next week some time after the 22 feb. ( divorce day) so i have much on my mind.

Thank you for all your help so far, i will post here any result.,
Michael.

disciple

#18 Post by disciple »

Looking at the files you sent me of your success, and from Emil, i think it is a simulation or only one channel.
Surely it has to be a simulation unless they actually have the machines to run...

You could also just try the normal EMC2 live CD.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

GustavoYz

#19 Post by GustavoYz »

I think that you just could try running LuPu 520 in a multisession DVD, installing the EMC2 + deps linked and a 'python.pet' (Would be good if somebody points a python pet here :lol:) you'll have your EMC2 ready...
Just a thought.
Anyway, best of lucks with your remastering versions.
Regards.

eccentric

emc2

#20 Post by eccentric »

Thank you for your replies, What i would like to end up with, is a small puppy, with the real time extension in the kernel, plus emc2..
i have three old computers, one for cnc only, as we are told not to use any other program while cnc is running. i chose studio 3.1 or 3.3 if it is ready for the real time extensions. The other two computers are for the day to day running of puppy, one as backup should i have one fail.
I think with some simulations you can hear the pulse via the speaker.
I am a member of cnczone.com they do have a section of the forum for emc2 but it is more hands on, and how to use the different functions.
I have no wish to use the Ubunto version, for one thing it is very large.
and i have used puppy since i was a young man. if i need to test the stepper driver or motor i have the old version from cool cnc .o5.
Now i must search the forum for the how to on re-mastering, i only need to do this so the end result will fit in the limited memory, the old one 256meg the other two 512meg. cpu 1.1 g 1.7g 2.4g.
Once again thank you for your interest and help. ...Michael