Webpage Editors for Lupu 520 via Portable Linux Apps

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
mikeslr

Webpage Editors for Lupu 520 via Portable Linux Apps

#1 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

Thanks to their being mentioned by Stu90, portablelinuxapps came to my attention.

I've downloaded a few but haven't had a chance to test whether they are fully functional. Among those which opened and appear functional in Lupu 520 are:

Amaya 11.3.1, Blue Griffon .08, and Kompozer .08b1.

Once you've downloaded an app file from
http://portablelinuxapps.org
Right-click it, and change its permission to executable. After that, it starts by clicking it.
The three above did not work in Lupu 511. I have not yet tried them in sPup. Although portablelinuxapps are built to run under Ubuntu, Fedora, and --I think OpenSuse-- I was able to open GyacheEnhanced --an Yahoo Messenger derivative with Voice and Webcam capabilities-- in sPup. So if a native Puppy App isn't available, give any portablelinuxapp a try. Worst case scenario: it won't work and you delete it. Portablelinuxapps are self-contained, that is they theoretically contain all necessary libraries and dependencies. Consequently, they do not over-write any libraries installed in your OS. When they don't run it's probably because Ubuntu has "system libraries" not found in Puppy.

mikesLr

Bert

#2 Post by Bert »

Hi Mikesir,

Thanks for this. I also like portablelinuxapps and the guy who runs it seems to have the same superb attitude as the Puppy developers, always listening to requests and willing to explain and to help.( although their forum seems to be down at the moment)

However I've come to question the need for portablelinuxapps. In essence, we already have portable apps in Puppy, called SFS files. Those are in general more Puppy Linux system-friendly, but not as user-friendly as portablelinuxapps, requiring going into boot manager, rebooting, waiting,... Recent sfs-on-the-fly developments look promising though, so perhaps SFS will soon be as easy as portablelinuxapps..

Of the three programs you mention I have two installed: Kompozer and Blue Griffon.( I don't dare to try Amaya, because of very bad memories from trying it some years ago. :roll: )
Both Kompozer and Blue Griffon I downloaded directly from their website as tarballs, extracted to /mnt/home and so run outside of the save-file.
The advantages imho are:
* one click and they're running, one click and they're gone from the system again.
* you download the most recent version or any version you want.
* The package installed this way is still upgradable, where portablelinusapps and sfs's are frozen and cannot be upgraded.
* I can choose the locale version I want! (Most often both sfs's and portablelinuxapps are English-only)
I wouldn't dare to ask a busy Puppy developer or the equally busy portablelinuxapps dev to make a version for my language. :oops:
* This way, apps can be big, they won't eat up space in Puppy or slow the OS down..
* No longer do we depend on Puppy developers willing or able to create a package. (Over the years many of these devs seem to come, contribute for a while and disappear again...sad but true :cry: )

There's somewhat of a hidden consensus here on the forum that running your browser the way I explained, from /mnt/home is the best way to go. It would be great to do the same for all big programs.

Am I the only one dreaming of one universal linux tarball, installable on any system the way you want?
( I know I am not 8) )

All the above are just some observations from me, a simple user.
Thanks for your post!
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]

Aitch

#3 Post by Aitch »

mikeslr

Linux Tarballs that work

#4 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Bert,

Thanks for the info that the BlueGriffin and Kompozer tarballs can be downloaded and run under Puppy.
And I agree with your reasoning 100%.

I think it was Playdaz who first used and explained the term "File-Folders" on the forum, that is applications unpacked and run from outside the SaveFile. He showed how to do that with Firefox and OpenOffice. At any rate, that's my vision for Puppy: a small, newby-friendly, distro, runnable from any medium, containing light-weight applications for daily use, but expandable for special needs via SFS or "File-Folders" loaded and unloaded on-the-fly.

I didn't know that BlueGriffin and Kompozer were among the Linux Apps that could be run as a "File-Folder." On the theory that there may be other apps of that nature, I'm posting a request on the Users Sub-Forum that Puppians aware of such apps note them on the Additional Software thread.
Such knowledge would be useful not merely to those seeking software, but also those of our devs who develop Pets and SFSes: there's rarely a good reason to spend time reinventing the wheel.

I'll also pm Stu90 and Lobster and any other members Aitch mentioned. Strange, while typing this I see Aitch's reply below this, but not when I look at the thread, itself. Maybe we just got our wires crossed and it will be there when I return to the thread.

mikesLr

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

Thanks indeed for this thread. Mike, Bert all of you.

Bert wrote:
Of the three programs you mention I have two installed: Kompozer and Blue Griffon.( I don't dare to try Amaya, because of very bad memories from trying it some years ago. Rolling Eyes )
Both Kompozer and Blue Griffon I downloaded directly from their website as tarballs, extracted to /mnt/home and so run outside of the save-file.
The advantages imho are:
* one click and they're running, one click and they're gone from the system again.
* you download the most recent version or any version you want.
* The package installed this way is still upgradable, where portablelinusapps and sfs's are frozen and cannot be upgraded.
* I can choose the locale version I want! (Most often both sfs's and portablelinuxapps are English-only)
I wouldn't dare to ask a busy Puppy developer or the equally busy portablelinuxapps dev to make a version for my language. Embarassed
* This way, apps can be big, they won't eat up space in Puppy or slow the OS down..
* No longer do we depend on Puppy developers willing or able to create a package. (Over the years many of these devs seem to come, contribute for a while and disappear again...sad but true Crying or Very sad )

There's somewhat of a hidden consensus here on the forum that running your browser the way I explained, from /mnt/home is the best way to go. It would be great to do the same for all big programs.

Am I the only one dreaming of one universal linux tarball, installable on any system the way you want?
( I know I am not Cool )
So true. I wish we had a latest version of Lupu520 set up that way by default. Named Lupu Lite 520 something. And it should have scripts or descriptions that told a beginner how one do this manuall too.

I managed for a short time to do it with Firefox so I could test all new versions of Luci one by one and still have all the bookmarks and set ups in FF instantly there when I tested the new one. It was very practical.

Then one day I lost the memory of how one do it.

Now I use a compromize. I do webmail instead of having email client on mnt/home and I use a html file with the most use bookmarks and that on are on mnt home and I only need to make it my startpage and then I have exported the new bookmarks as html and open then in the new FF not as handy but works too.

But all of you are right it would be cool to have a lean mean machine and then instead of installing and getting a big save file one could make use of these file outside of the save file.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though