sc0ttman

Re: pulp 0.1 and flash

#141 Post by sc0ttman »

sindi wrote:pulp appears to have Flash 9 but both Opera 11 and Seamonkey 1.1.19
(not pets, but regular downloads in separate directories) say I
don't have flash and to download it. How do I make them work with
flash in pulp?
1. Find the file libflashplayer.so

2. Copy or symlink the original libflashplayer.so file (probably in /usr/local/lib/mozilla/plugins) to other similar directories.. Such as:

/usr/local/lib/opera/plugins
/usr/local/lib/seamonkey/plugins

and so on...

That might work for you, if flash is indeed installed..
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

sindi

Pulp

#142 Post by sindi »

Thanks. Opera and Seamonkey are not 'installed' to /usr/
anything, but are in their own directories.
/opera-11*/lib/opera/plugins etc. I will symlink.

I am still using Basiclinux because I compiled a framebuffer
kernel for it and the text looks 500% better in framebuffer 800x600
than in an rxvt or a pulp 80x25 terminal. I will attempt to compile
the pulp/puppy431-retro kernel with framebuffer support for vesafb.
Or does one already exist?

Besides the framebuffer text looking better, Xfbdev uses
less RAM than Xorg, same as Xvesa.

Except for browsers, I rarely use X, and I see that pulp has
lots of useful CLI programs (plus I will be able to
use all the programs from Basiclinux in pulp since I have a frugal
install to the same partition as Basiclinux.) nano, dbclient

There is a framebuffer pdf viewer, an image viewer, and links2 can
theoretically be compiled to run in framebuffer mode, and netsurf.
Stuck with X for javascript.

sindi

pulp and chrome

#143 Post by sindi »

I tried to install Chrome and dependencies in pulp 0.1 by typing
petget filename.pet did not work, and instead I got a list of lines that terminated.
How do I install pets?

I manually copied the files to where they belong, and chrome wants libcups, which pulp does not have (nor does it have cupsd). I did find the print setup wizard. Good idea not to be running cupsd all the time. Does pulp actually print? I am only familiar with ghostscript or netbpm used CLI to print.

I can copy missing files from Puppy, but probably should not run Chrome on a computer with 128MB total RAM, where I just installed pulp. Firefox 2 is working nicely here. Opera 11 should do fine too, and Seamonkey 1.1.

I already had a pupswap.swp here made by puppy, which gets auto swapped on at startup. It might help other people to get a reminder at startup to make a swap file, with a script to do that, since pulp is for low-RAM computers.

Sound works perfectly (high-end onboard DELL speaker), as does networking (3com).

No need for gtk-chtheme - the other gtk theme chooser was able to change gtk1 and gtk2 themes if I chose 1+2.

The CLI programs might look nicer with font specified for rxvt.

`f00

#144 Post by `f00 »

@sindi - dunno about 001, but in 003 Rox is there (just not on menu, type "rox" in console or return it to menu by making a new .desktop file), rox does dotpets and opens some other files more easily (but it is a bit 'heavier' for general file mgr duties if it also does the desktop pinboard &etc) .. Another way to do dotpets is to replace/rename the .pet extension with .tar.gz and simply extract it if the dotpet is not too complex (some need special pinstalls &etc). Gr8 that you're keepin' 'em flying - good pr for Opera <3

1st look at p412, PULP003 <drivel enthusiastic>

Wonderful. Great having tcl/tk back (it's a bit of a 'retro' look, like the gtk in this pup). Fast and responsive on older hwr (mine's going on 11 years old and I don't plan on new anytime soon). Good finds in siag (xfiler and xedplus). Not real comfy with this emelfm, but that'll change (I usually go a bit heavier with xfe) and rox is rox. Haha, the d'n'd pinboard could be used but personally I don't miss it.

The ui may be a bit scrunched/hard to see on smaller displays or for those with 'bad eyes' but it's compact and efficient. It feels really snappy with jwm, even with lots of windows up.

Oh - if you ever wonder why a few .desktop items don't show, strip the trailing space(s), for some files it's important :) geany taught me that in a more obvious manner some other place. Fine point for bling (iconified menu&etc), the nice icons may be scattered about (like in /usr/local/share/siag/common/bitmaps dir..), here's one I cobbled for Image alsamixer.

+Image and Image
A bit odd going back to the older drivename protocol (but of course they're not 'drives' so much as fs, something that still trips me up occasionally), that may be a tidy-up for different types of install with some if they switch back'n'forth with newer kernel'd pups.

</drivel> It's going to be interesting..

Puppyt

#145 Post by Puppyt »

@sindi and 'f00 -
your awesome efforts and expertise with zenfunk's "Incredible Pulp" make facinating reading and I look forward to seeing how far you push the envelope here -
Many Thanks!
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

sindi

pulp 0.1

#146 Post by sindi »

I found rox. Can be typed in an rxvt.
To add to menu I edit /root/.jwmrc - what is .desktop?

Does jwm (like icem) have some way to start menu items
from keyboard (Alt-t etc.)? Or can rox be used (without
making icons first) to start programs with keystrokes?
How would I get an rxvt at startup? I prefer to start
programs with keystrokes not arrow/Enter (or mouse).

I clicked on a .pet file with rox, petget started up
and told me I need 80MB free space and to enlarge my save file.
When I tried to use petget CLI it just gave me some error
message with a line number and 'terminated'. Can it normally
be used CLI if there is enough space for the program?

Petget started via puppy package manager could
download and install zedit. Petget was set to Puppy 2.
Is this intentional?

tar -zxvf program.pet will unpack the files, no need
to rename from pet to tar.gz. I installed Chrome pet
in puppy 4.31 this way - you can just run it from
where it is unpacked.

On this laptop, my Linksys v3 orinoco_cs card
prevents boot and if booted without it then pushed in,
pulp freezes. Have not tried the card in regular puppy
or with another laptop and pulp or puppy. The airo_cs
card works properly. The Linksys works here in another
linux. Pulp got stuck with Call Trace, Code: cc cc cc..
and prism2_hw_init error. Yesterday it sometimes worked.
Today it still worked in the other linux. Bug?112

Terminal-based programs might look better with different
fonts, but a big improvement comes just from Alt-F10
to make them fullscreen with larger text.

sindi

pulp 0.1

#147 Post by sindi »

petget packagename.pet does work (if you have enough space to install to).
dotpup brings up the package manager.

The line numbers and 'terminated' are not error messages, just progress reports.

gtk2 programs take 5 sec or more to load at 233MHz in 96MB RAM.
Does puppy 2 use gtk 1.2?

Enlarging rxvt does not enlarge the font, just gives more characters.

`f00

#148 Post by `f00 »

Edits in /root/.jwmrc may be considered only as temporary - edit the template in /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc xml file if needed for toplevel menu and base with a few other items like includes.. my /usr/share/applications/rox.desktop is merely a copy and replacing some values of an extant file in that dir (like emelfm.desktop), if you use rox refresh the view and the file changes state in the rox window to look like the other .desktop files (these are the files that control the individual menu entries and behavior for load from menu). After any editing of these, run "fixmenus" in a console and reload jwm to check your edit on the menu itself.

Keybd use in jwm may be a bit different, your personal config in /root/.jwm dir should have a file or two besides the current selected jwm theme. Only high-priority key bindings are in that file for simplicity and not to interfere with other keybindings found throughout the system. I'd imagine Joe Wing's jwm page would have much more info on a standard setup.

Haven't used petget, but yeah increase your savefile/reboot if needed (some progs expand considerably more than the actual .pet filesize). Cool unpack on context menu (faster than xarchive), used it myself to help redo some personal sfs from saved tars for compatibility with p412 (I hope)

Mmhm, getting consoles the way you like can take a little trial and trial (errors are operator opportunities), most consoles go by rowsx#characters rather than pixel for overall size geometry and usual fonts are like 8x13 or 9x15 etc. Lots of info scattered about (like Bruce B's sticky in the ../housetraining/users section here in the plmf)

A few puplets based on the 2 series, like ttuuxxx's (but not sure what he used for engines) and 3 series has some nice offshoots since the original official offering.

Now I have to try out shinobar's pupsaveconfig utility..

`f00

#149 Post by `f00 »

'envelopes' is tasty :9

I'd almost forgotten how easy on the eyes the 'vintage' gtk could be (like the forest theme with its welcome relief from that nasty too bright bg in rox present in most gtk2 - very light values are ok in good ambient light but almost painfully contrasty in dim to my eyes but others may need the stark contrast especially with displays that don't have a full range of value)

Interesting choice in 'outpup' I made to backup the savefile and check Zenfunk's sfs (saw something odd which might help explain an anomaly..) - good ol' boxpup p413 (hi Gray) with that *very* nice vbar (hotbar?) drive/mount utility :lol: funny how I settle on certain wms in certain pups (here it was afterstep :) ). Image

Ohhkay, /root/.jwm has another .jwm subdir and a third (final) .jwm subdir of that (it can happen and I've done it too when doing too much copy work or etc) - just junk excess but the chosen/'active' themes are/were different (maybe the personal too but it's just a slip). Kind of shows why it's a good idea to always show hidden and other stuff but yeah, /root/.jwm is not all that much traffic so sure.. link to big 198k screenie.

Oh boy, the wmplus.sfs seems to have loaded just fine (wbar was mia - missing some 'standard' icons haha). Whether it's all functional may take a little flipping about - good thing I got a handy utility for that ;) hsetroot looks to be good for bg extravagance link to PULP3 work-in-progress fulldesk 506k screenie. Onwards.

I 'cheat' on pulp, though - the hwr is almost overkill even if it is 11 yr old it never had xtraproblems on it, let alone blissta nor whatever patch is latest in that empire, win2k would be cool though

sindi

pulp 0.1

#150 Post by sindi »

Yes .jwmrc was temporary. /etc/xdg/menus could be edited to make
changes to the menu as well as etc/xdg/templates (to add submenus).

icewm lets you edit everything at once (from the main menu). I would rather not deal with menus anyway.

Can you edit key bindings in jwm to let you type Ctrl-T for an rxvt terminal? Or some rc to start up X with an rxvt?

My Linksys WPC11 v3 card crashes pulp during boot (or if inserted after boot) in both my Thinkpads 560X and 770E with something about prism2, but aironet card works. The Linksys card works fine in Puppy 4.31, The crash appears to be while loading pcmcia module The same kernel and modules (same sizes) work in Puppy 4.31. What else changed between 4.1 and 4.3? Any plans to make a 4.3 based pulp?

Wireless scanner button at top also finds no networks but the Network Wizard finds them.

I read that the 2.6.21.7 kernel already supports framebuffer but you need fbcon module to use framebuffer console and it is found in Pebble which has something to do with initrd.gz....?

`f00

#151 Post by `f00 »

@ sindi (previous page)

p41x to p431, the major change (offhand, I'd have to look up to be sure) was one of using an updated .sfs (squashfile) format. Naturally they are different (why there are conversion apps or other methods like dir2sfs for rebuilding) and basically make the pups on either side of the divide use one or the other (depends on the kernel, apis as I get the gist on the deep workings of how pup does what it does. 42 was the answer to the question in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as well as a wonderful project to rework the Official pup release. Again by memory recall (but might help you search here in the plmf), Pebble here (that was a quick successful search!) is something to do with boot and Pizzasgood would be the goto there (dunno if it got beyond beta, though). Dig around in the hardware section for specifics on networking/ conn and bugfixes, drivers, whatever it takes.

Keybindings in /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal look like they follow a pretty simple syntax, so it should be quite doable. By the way, if you're 'into' using the kybd interface you might take a look at the pekwm window manager as it has an elegant system for key commands built in - I'm still a novice with most anything but the basic moves (icewm gave me a few surprises early on with its take on 'standards', but it's a fine wm with some really good stuff - if you're used to it why not put it in your own pulp? probably try a few different versions out before you settle - some may fit this pup better or be more suited to your style than others).

Barebones puplets often come along sometime after an official version is released and often are tweaked like this short series by Christian (zenfunk) to suit what he particularly wanted to do and achieve as a goal. Lucky us, eh?

sindi

pulp 0.10

#152 Post by sindi »

Pebble is something to do with a fancy boot screen that requires
framebuffer kernel (or fbcon module), and pizzasgood also compiled
a kernel that does not need the module (rather than modifying
initrd.gz to load fbcon) so I emailed asking for a copy.

I have little experience with window managers as I usually
do everything CLI in a console (in framebuffer mode) and only
run one program at a time in X (graphical browser). There
are ways to start the program and X at the same time from CLI.

(Xvesa -screen 800x600x16 &); DISPLAY=:0 mplayer -ao oss -vo x11 -framedrop dvd://1-10
Typed in a console, it loads X and mplayer and no wm is needed. Saves a bit of RAM
but then you cannot tab between links in a browser, for instance.

mplayer fbdev sometimes works to play DVDs without X (using fb instead).
Depends on the video card. Or mplayer vesa (not on LCD screens).

I will experiment with jwm to bind keys so I can start programs
without a mouse, thanks.

sindi

framebuffer console fbcon

#153 Post by sindi »

Pizzasgood made me a package of the modules and depmod and I stuck into rc.local 'modprobe fbcon', and added vga=791 to loadlin or lilo to get a situation where I boot to 30 sec of blank screen (because console mode does not display now until the console modules are loaded) then a very nice framebuffer console 1024x768 when I hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 or F2.

The same 2.6.21.7 kernel modules don't work in Pup 4.31 so I will simply
switch to pulp (and learn to make keyboard shortcuts to GUI programs to save time bothering with menus).

If I have not responded to people's helpful suggestions it is just that I don't yet understand them. I need to learn more before asking questions.

Should pulp be able to handle the same recent browsers as Puppy 431 and 5? I also give people free computers and they usually just want to use Firefox. Browserlinux works, but uses somewhat more memory. How would I get a Firefox 3 icon into the strip at the bottom instead of or in addition to Firefox 2?

Browserlinux automatically sets up networking - is there something I can do to Pulp to accomplish that? I don't want my computers thrown out because people can't remember (how) to run a Network Wizard. There is one network card per computer.

Can I add Flash 10 to pulp?

sindi

petget and lynx pet

#154 Post by sindi »

I tried to install the lynx 2.8.7 pet (for puppy 4x) by typing (in an rxvt)
petget lynx*.pet and it looked like something was happening but lynx did
not install. It installs when I click on it in Puppy 4.31 in ROX-filer.

I then cd'ed to / and tried to unpack the package to / using
tar -zxvf /mnt/home/download/lynx*.pet
and again nothing seemed to have happened - files are not there.

I tried this on two computers. This is a frugal install of pulp.

So I did a tar -zxvf lynx*.pet (in a temporary location) and copied
/usr/local/bin/lynx and /usr/local/etc/lynx.??? over and it works, but
what am I doing wrong with petget?

The file in root is something about running lynx rxvt -e lynx and is
not needed.

On this Toshiba 3000-S353 laptop, framebuffer console appears to turn off sound
(as confirmed in Basiclinux, where the sound module won't load if I have
vga=791), but on other computers I am enjoying pulp with framebuffer console
and text browsers lynx and elinks. Much nicer text than with an rxvt.
And much more usable memory in case I do need to run Seamonkey 2 or Firefox 3.

sindi

pulp, firefox 2 and mplayer

#155 Post by sindi »

How do I set mplayer to be the default media player for pulp, and/or
how do I set mplayer to play mp3 files downloaded with firefox
(which for some reason are going to /tmp instead of my choice /mnt/home/download)? I can download mp3 files and then, in a terminal
or console, mplayer filename.mp3.

sindi

default music player and flash for pulp

#156 Post by sindi »

I chose 'other' instead of default music player ,and mp3blaster, and Opera (10.70 portable) plays mp3s, but how would I set a default music player for pulp?

Can pulp (seamonkey 2.0.7 portable) work with Flash 10?
I replaced libflashplayer.so with the much larger (linux tar.gz) latest version and it still tells me at youtube that I need to update flash player.

Is there a portable Firefox 3.6 for puppy? I like the portables because I can share
them between various puppies.

sindi

Flashplayer 10

#157 Post by sindi »

cd /usr/lib/Fire*/plugins/

ldd libflashplayer.so

The one that comes with pulp (from 2009, Flash 9?) has 14 dependencies.

The latest Flash has close to 50 dependencies, and pulp lacks:
ssl3 mime3 nss3 plds4 and nspr4

Can I use the ones from puppy 4.31, or do I need something older?

technosaurus

Re: Flashplayer 10

#158 Post by technosaurus »

sindi wrote:cd /usr/lib/Fire*/plugins/

ldd libflashplayer.so

The one that comes with pulp (from 2009, Flash 9?) has 14 dependencies.

Can I use the ones from puppy 4.31, or do I need something older?
ssl3 mime3 nss3 plds4 and nspr4 should be in /usr/lib/Fire*/
you can make symlinks in /usr/lib or better yet add /usr/lib/Fire* (whatever it is) to your library paths

the only reason you shouldn't have those libs is if you are running a non-mozilla browser (opera or midori and other webkit based browsers -- the others don't support flash anyhow)

I will say that although recent 10.x flash plugins are ~4Mb+ larger, they seem to use significantly less RAM/CPU

re: portability - you can use the directory (/usr/lib/{firefox-*,seamonkey-*}) from anywhere if you use the startup script in it

to find the location of any script use "which" ... for example

which defaultmediaplayer
or
which defaultaudioplayer

it will tell you the location of the script to edit

or to save a step (as long as you know it is a script and not just a symlink)

defaulttexteditor `which defaultmediaplayer`
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

sindi

defaultmediaplayer, mplayer, Firefox libs, Firefox broken

#159 Post by sindi »

default media player appears to be gxine, which in pulp was replaced with mplayer. This should be fixed in the next pulp..

mplayer plays DVDs for me but only if invoked CLI
In an rxvt: mplayer -vo x11 dvd://1.
I made a script 'playdvd' as above. (Which I have not yet managed
to get permanently into the jwm menu but someone gave instructions).

If I click on mplayer in the menu it cannot find any DVD

What file do I edit to add the libraries needed by Flash 10 to the library path rather than symlinking them to /usr/lib?

I put libflashplayer.so (Flash 10) into the plugins directories of portable Opera and Seamonkey (/mnt/home/opera....) and will try Youtube again after adding the libraries.

I am using Seamonkey and Opera (installed from pets) partly because Firefox 2 broke -
I get the error message 'Firefox is already running....' and the solution
is supposedly to delete /root/.mozilla/firefox/..... lock and .parentlock.
I deleted the latter but cannot find the former. Help?

I have been using pulp even on computers with lots of RAM because I like the uncluttered screen, the gtk1 programs, and the framebuffer console. (Could not find fbcon for puppy 4.31). But Firefox 2 won't work at a lot of sites. And Flash 9 won't work at Youtube.

I could use a standard Firefox 3 portably (unpackage it at /mnt/home, put firefox on the library path) and set it to use mp3blaster etc. But pets are nice because they already have useful plugins and preference settings. Is there some central list of browser pets?

I may be putting pulp on someone's '15 year old' (unlikely) laptop for accessing hotmail - anyone know which browsers work with hotmail?

This instant help is amazing! Many thanks.

sindi

Re: Flashplayer 10 in Seamonkey 2.0.7 and gxineshell

#160 Post by sindi »

ldd libflashplayer.so

-----

ssl3 mime3 nss3 plds4 and nspr4 should be in /usr/lib/Fire*/
you can make symlinks in /usr/lib or better yet add /usr/lib/Fire* (whatever it is) to your library paths

the only reason you shouldn't have those libs is if you are running a non-mozilla browser (opera or midori and other webkit based browsers -- the others don't support flash anyhow)

------
I am running Seamonkey 2.0.7 (from /mnt/home) and even after I
copy the latest libflashplayer.so to the seamonkey plugins directory Youtube tells me to upgrade my Flash player to Flash 10.
Seamonkey does have all these libraries (in /program).
What else might I be missing? Have you used Flash 10 and Seamonkey 2 or Opera with pulp? Is there some reason for using 9 instead of 10 in pulp other than size and the fact that it existed already when pulp was first put together? My only use for Flash is Youtube.

---------
--------
re: portability - you can use the directory (/usr/lib/{firefox-*,seamonkey-*}) from anywhere if you use the startup script in it

-------
I prefer to install to /mnt/home, so I can use the browsers from any puppy (and only add plugins once). I can also run programs from other linuxes in other partitions after mounting them (I copy over any needed libraries and config files). lynx for instance needs /usr/local/etc/lynx.cfg and lynx.lss - but for some reason it won't do certificates even with cert.pem added though that works in the original linux.

--------
--------
which defaultmediaplayer
or
which defaultaudioplayer

----------
There is no defaultaudioplayer in pulp.

The default media player is gxineshell - can I simply replace it with mplayer or do I need a shell version of mplayer or a plugin?