Multisession Puppy does not ask to save at shutdown

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
groggin

Multisession Puppy does not ask to save at shutdown

#1 Post by groggin »

i rebuilt my pc after the psu overheated and took out the mobo with a big bang, so here's the shakedown
- amd phenom II x3 @ 2.8 ghz
- biostar TA790GX 128M main bord
- 8 gB dual channel 800 mhz RAM
- i re-used the old IDE HDDs (2)
generally the p00tr runs fine with both lin and win installed, but when i shut down puppy, the machine does a normal shutdown without asking for a save to disc or disk.
I've downloaded and burnt 3 different versions of pup, and they all do the same thing, except when i try them on some other machine, where they perform as expected.

I'm sure there's a way to force the issue, sudo something, ... maybe?

thanks,
~g

`f00

#2 Post by `f00 »

Odd that you get no prompt. Even without going into which version of pup, rc.shutdown has been pretty foolproof about the prompts and stuff (yep, being rc.shutdown that's its job). On an initial save it's a basic deal.

Maybe try this helper that preps the prompt so to speak - go here and read some, dl the .pet and give it a shot

come back if the dotpet doesn't joy, could definitely be your hwr if other comps are cool with your dl& burniso2cd

gl
addenda - on the other other hand, it's been a very long time since I did any kind of hdd install (a frugal to hdd may not 'ask' for save since it's doing it anyway, but I think it gave a mssg to that effect on shutdown)

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

I assume you are talking about running a live CD of Puppy.
What is on the hard drives?
Was there a save file before the meltdown? If so it is using that so will not ask.
Boot with the Puppy CD
Option puppy pfix=ram
After it is running choose reboot
If it does not ask about making a save file, than it is finding something on the hard drives to make it think there is one already.

groggin

#4 Post by groggin »

ok, sry for not giving more info
yes, i'm referring to live CD sessions (why i need to save changes)
the versions i'm trying are:
LUPU 5.1.1
LUPU 5.2.0
LUPU 5.1.1>Elite OS

there ARE some pupsave files already on the p00tr from earlier versions, but the newer distros are not using them. as changes are not being saved.

so, i'm in ArtistX (Ubuntu) atm, i think i'll search the comp for .2fs files first and delete them, and try puppy again; if no difference then i'll try that pupsaveconfig-1.9.9.pet and let y'all know how it works out

Thanks!

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

Lupu 5.2 is the bug fixed version of 5.1.1

8-bit

#6 Post by 8-bit »

bigpup,

I tend to disagree with you to an extent.
Lupu 520 uses the Openbox window manager by default and mplayer for multimedia whereas Lupu 511 uses JWM as the window manager and Gxine for multimedia.
Correct me if I am wrong on this.

groggin

#7 Post by groggin »

well, i found several old pupsaves and deleted them. but it made no difference. however, i returned to another comp and ran the live CD, made and saved some minor change, re-booted and saved changes to disc. so now when i run puppy on my machine, i now have a *save* icon on my desktop.

nice! works fine and to an extent problem solved. but, having
accomplished that much i went ahead and customized my CD to the extent of adding about 500 megabytes to it, so i see i'll soon be needing more space. given the files on the CD could be coppied to a DVD, even a DL DVD, which prolly would be enough space forever, maybe that's the wtg in this case.

but if anyone reads this and has an idea, i'd like to fix it and again be able to backup my portable OS to my comp. there must be a way!

gonna try thet pupsave utility next

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

Groggin, it took me a few extra moments to translate your post into a form of English I understand :lol: but it sounds like you made a multisession CD. If you like running from a multisession CD but would rather use a DVD (or perhaps even a Blu-Ray disk), there is a very easy way to switch from CD to DVD without losing any of the settings or programs you may have installed on your multisession CD. Ask me how!

groggin

#9 Post by groggin »

OK flash!
atm i'm copying the contents of my multisession CD to a folder on my desktop, when it's done i'm gonna open pburn and write those files to a multisession DVD.

How am i doin? :wink:

[edit] woopS OK, result:
Done
There were 139 errors.

what'd i do wrong? :?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

Hmm, well, I can only guess what you were trying to do so I don't know what went wrong.

If you're trying to move your multisession CD to a DVD, here's how I'd do it:

Boot the multisession CD in a DVD burner. After Puppy is up and running, remove the CD from the burner and put in a blank DVD. (Any kind of DVD will work: DVD-R, +R, -RW or +RW. I use a DVD+RW when I'm experimenting. Mini-DVDs work well in desktop computers with pop-out trays.)

With the blank DVD in the burner and Puppy running entirely in RAM, burn the same Puppy iso as is on the CD to the DVD, using Menu -> Multimedia -> Burniso2cd. Then, with the newly burned DVD still in the burner, click the Save icon on Puppy's desktop. This will create the first saved session on the newly burned DVD. That first session will contain everything you've saved to the multisession CD.

That's all there is to it. Instead of clicking the Save icon, you can wait until you shut Puppy down, then tell it so save, but using the Save icon is more reliable.

groggin

#11 Post by groggin »

Well allright Flash! tyvm for tht; i would never have tried that, as in the past whenever i've tried (accidently) to put a CD ISO to a DVD medium, the burner software has always objected and insisted on the right sized medium.

DVD burnt, .iso deleted and session saved, i've a little over 4 gB of writable space, so i.m good to go :D

thanks again
~g

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#12 Post by Flash »

Excellent. I'm glad you got it to work. :) Now that you're the proud owner of a multisession Puppy DVD, there are a few tricks you should know.

1. The browser has a cache which it gradually fills up with junk that it will never use again. To prevent that cache from becoming so large that it takes forever to load into RAM and save to the DVD, tell your browser to put its cache in /tmp, which is not saved. In SeaMonkey, go to Edit -> Preferences -> (the little arrow to the left of the word) Advanced -> Cache, click on Choose folder then navigate to /tmp.

2. The same appllies if you download your mail from a server to a mail client in Puppy. Deleted mail is not actually deleted, so the "deleted" mail can gradually take over your OS. I don't use a mail client (I use Yahoo mail) so I can't help you there. You will have to figure out the best strategy that prevents mail from cluttering up your multisession DVD.

3. You can save as many sessions as you like until the DVD is full, but so many saved sessions will take forever to load when the DVD boots. When this becomes a problem, you can "defragment" all those saved sessions and reduce them back to a single saved session by burning a fresh new multisession DVD and then saving to it, the same way as you made the first multisession DVD from a multisession CD. If you use a DVD+RW you can even keep using the same disk, but it might be a better idea to use DVD+R instead so that the old DVD becomes your backup.

4. To minimize boot time, I only save Puppy-related stuff (settings and installed programs) on the DVD. Other stuff I save on a USB flash memory I leave plugged in but only mount when I need it.

groggin

#13 Post by groggin »

thanks again