How to install Esetroot (from Eterm) for Fluxbox? [SOLVED]

Booting, installing, newbie
Kiran

How to install Esetroot (from Eterm) for Fluxbox? [SOLVED]

#1 Post by Kiran »

Hi everybody,

I've installed Fluxbox but have come up with a problem. According to Fluxbox's wiki I need to install "Esetroot (from Eterm)" for a few features.

How do I go about doing this on Puppy?

Thanks,
KJ
Last edited by Kiran on Fri 12 May 2006, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
[quote]What is this "Microsoft" that you speak of? Washing powder? Coffee? Correction fluid? I can't figure it out. Anyone else know?[/quote]

MU

#2 Post by MU »

The wiki also suggests wmsetbg, that is available as Dotpup:
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/WindowManagers/wmsetbg.pup

There is no eterm-dotpup I think.
Mark

Nathan F

#3 Post by Nathan F »

ftp://texasangel.org/pub/dotpups/Eterm-0.93.pup
Just created this dotpup, actually just because I was creating a Fluxbox package as well. I'm looking into wmsetbg also but no reason to scrap this.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Kiran

#4 Post by Kiran »

MU wrote:The wiki also suggests wmsetbg, that is available as Dotpup:
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/WindowManagers/wmsetbg.pup

There is no eterm-dotpup I think.
Mark
Hi Mark,

I've installed that just now but when i do "fbsetbg -i" in the terminal I still get the following error as if wmsetbg is not installed:
display doesn't set the wallpaper properly. Transparency for fluxbox and apps like aterm and xchat won't work right with it. Consider installing feh, wmsetbg (from windowmaker) or Esetroot (from Eterm) and I'll use them instead.
Nathan F wrote:ftp://texasangel.org/pub/dotpups/Eterm-0.93.pup
Just created this dotpup, actually just because I was creating a Fluxbox package as well. I'm looking into wmsetbg also but no reason to scrap this.

Nathan
Thanks Nathan. I will try that out now.
[quote]What is this "Microsoft" that you speak of? Washing powder? Coffee? Correction fluid? I can't figure it out. Anyone else know?[/quote]

Kiran

#5 Post by Kiran »

Nathan F wrote:ftp://texasangel.org/pub/dotpups/Eterm-0.93.pup

Nathan
Hi Nathan,

I must be doing something wrong. I've installed your dotpup and "fbsetbg -i" still gives the same error.

I've reverted back to JWM for now. I'm starting to get quite confused. Hope I can sort this out soon.

Thanks again,
KJ

Nathan F

#6 Post by Nathan F »

Hmm...should be working now. Try calling Esetroot directly to see if it's working.

Code: Select all

Esetroot -s /path-to-image
If it changes your wallpaper (and it should, I just installed it on another computer no problem) then something else must be going on. The only thing I can think of that might have stuffed it up is that I compiled it in 109beta, but the libs are very nearly identical anyway so I don't think that would be it.

I've noticed that fbsetbg is very picky. It should technically work with xli in Puppy-108 but just doesn't, giving the error you mentioned. If you can't get it going with Esetroot then I'm working on a WindowMaker package that includes Wmsetbg, and that is another one of the apps that fbsetbg can use.

But no problems with jusr running jwm I'm sure.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Kiran

#7 Post by Kiran »

Yes Nathan, it does set the background when I do it your way:

Code: Select all

Esetroot -s /path-to-image
And transparency now works in Fluxbox when I do it that way.

However when you restart, the background is "lost."

The Fluxbox wiki gives this solution:

http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php/Howto ... startup.3F

However, since fbsetbg is not working properly in the first place, how do I get around this?

Thanks,
KJ

Nathan F

#8 Post by Nathan F »

You could just add the Esetroor command to either .xinitrc or (preferably) the fluxbox startup script. Newer versions of Fluxbox put a startup script in /root/.fluxbox. You must also remember then to start it with the command 'xwin startfluxbox' instead of 'xwin fluxbox'.

I should have a pretty well sorted out set of packages around the time of the 109 release. You might even be interested in a few of the dockapps for system monitoring and such. I've got a favorite that puts a volume control right on the desktop.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Kiran

#9 Post by Kiran »

Nathan F wrote:You could just add the Esetroor command to either .xinitrc or (preferably) the fluxbox startup script. Newer versions of Fluxbox put a startup script in /root/.fluxbox. You must also remember then to start it with the command 'xwin startfluxbox' instead of 'xwin fluxbox'.

I should have a pretty well sorted out set of packages around the time of the 109 release. You might even be interested in a few of the dockapps for system monitoring and such. I've got a favorite that puts a volume control right on the desktop.

Nathan
Wow, you're good!

I've seen screenshots of system info on the desktop and it's very cool. I presume that the dockapps you mention? Here's the screenshot, click on the thumbnail to enlarge:

I think I'll tinker around a bit but I'll definitely be looking forward to your packages for 109. Is there anything like that, that I can sample at the moment?

Nathan F

#10 Post by Nathan F »

What you're seeing in that screenshot is not a dockapp, but the Torsmo system monitor. It can be run with just about any WM, is pretty configurable, and really lightweight. We're had a Torsmo dotpup available for ages, just snag it from the dotpup downloader.

Here's a screenshot showing a few of the dockapps I mentioned down in the lower right corner. It also shows the xdg generated menu open, complete with transparency.
http://texasangel.org/images/puppyflux.png

These are small applications written for the WindowMaker desktop that range anywhere from a desktop mixer, to a cpu monitor that shows it's output in flames, to a system monitor that uses the water level to show memory usage and bubbles for cpu (with duckies swimmming above), to just about anything you might want (or not want). There's even a selection of mini games, all fitting into the same little square cubes you see there. The nice thing about them is that WindowMaker isn't the only desktop they'll run on. They work just as well in Blackbox, Fluxbox, and even fvwm (Barry used to include several back when fvwm95 was the default desktop).

I've grown to absolutely love Fluxbox over the last couple weeks, and I may very well just go a little over the top with it. I'm even considering using it on a 'Dynamite Edition' of Grafpup with all kinds of development and experimental software.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#11 Post by GuestToo »

fbsetbg probably will work ok (it's just a script, i think) ... the thing is, Puppy has xv symlinked to xli ... fbsetbg prefers to use xv rather than xli, so it does ... of course, the xv commands do not work with xli

there's a simple workaround ... just use the fbsetbg command line option to force it to use xli (or edit the script to make it prefer xli) ... this is what i did with my fluxbox package

Nathan F

#12 Post by Nathan F »

Thanks for that, good info. I do remember seeing the symlink.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Kiran

#13 Post by Kiran »

Uhm, this is embarrasing. :oops:

I was using Fluxbox 913 instead of 914. Now everything works fine with 914.

Thanks a million everybody.