Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 24 May 2018, 19:53
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Toshiba 300ct nofloppy no cdrom
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
gnittio

PostPosted: Wed 10 May 2006, 11:15    Post subject:  Toshiba 300ct nofloppy no cdrom  

I am a new puppy user and actually new to linux. I received as a birthday present a toshiba protege 300ct and really want to put puppy on it. It has a pentium 133 with 64mb ram and a 2 gig hd. When I received it the harddrive had been formatted and when the system is turned on it says to insert system disk. (no floppy drive and no cd drive) the BIOS recognizes the HD. Oh yeah it has a USB port but booting from USB is not an option from BIOS only HD/FDD/CD options available. My question is can I put the HD in another system, install puppy and put it back? That should work right.

I guess the answer to my own question is . . . NO . . . I took the harddrive out of the laptop set it up as the only harddrive on another system installed puppy on the hard drive w/ grub in MBR and upon reboot it ran like a charm. So I excitedly placed the drive back in the laptop booted that bad boy up and after five minutes got the dreaded insert system disk and press any key to reboot. msg. Here is what I've learned and what I've done in order for the drive to be recognized and work with the BIOS on the laptop it must have a FAT 16 partion (NO LBA) so in CFDISK in setup the following
hdc1 250mb fat16 <32
hdc2 1389mb linux ext2
hdc3 361 linux swap

I wrote the partition table with those parameters installed puppy to hdc2 with grub to MBR removed the cd rebooted and grub came up I chose linux and puppy did it's thing. I then removed the harddrive from the desktop system put it in the laptop and you know the rest from above. I am very flustered right now I've been working on this for 2 weeks anybody have any ideas
muggins

PostPosted: Wed 10 May 2006, 20:55    Post subject:  

gnittio,

have you installed pup to hard disk as option1, copying usr_cram.fs, vmlinuz and image.gz to disk, or as a full option 2 installation?

also what does your /boot/grub/menu.lst look like? what's on your vfat partition? seems strange that grub is installed to mbr, but your not getting to grub menu. is bios set up OK?
gnittio

PostPosted: Fri 12 May 2006, 12:26    Post subject:  

I did an option 1 installation because option 2 would take over the entire disk. and the laptops needs to see a fat16 partion to recognize the harddrive. Dos 6.2 is on the fat16 partition. I'm not sure what the menu.lst looks like but when in boots in another (desktop system) I get the options of DOS/Linux/install GRUB to floppy/install GRUB to harddrive
muggins

PostPosted: Fri 12 May 2006, 21:34    Post subject:  

gnittio,

i don't understand what this means:

and the laptops needs to see a fat16 partion to recognize the harddrive.

but in any case it doesn't seem that grub has installed correctly to the mbr. if it had you would be at least getting grub boot errors.

does your dos partition still boot? if it does maybe, as you're using option 1 installation, you don't need ext2 partition, and you could have image.gz, vmlinuz & usr_cram.fs on fat16, and then load puppy with tiny.exe or ldlin.com, and a line in your autoexec.bat file.

or you could keep these files on ext2 partition, and still boot tiny.exe from autoexec.bat, and with the right parameters, it can load puppy. unfortunately i'm a bit hazy on what those parameters are at the moment...i'll do a search later & see if i can track them down.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to: