How do I install PHP?

Booting, installing, newbie

How do I install PHP?

#1 Post by Guest »

Could someone make a .pup for this?
I downloaded the files (.tar.gz) but still can't figure it out!

#2 Post by Guest »

Step 1 Download the mc-full mentioned on the puppy-linux wiki

Step 2 Install said package

Step 3 Start mc

Step 4 Naviagte to where the php archive is

Step 5 In mc press enter on the archive

Step 6 copy (F5) the directories in the archvice to the root directory of puppy

eg /etc gets copied to / and /usr gets copied to /

Bingo that's it

No need for a .pup file

You can view the install/doinst.sh file and decide if you want to execute the commands in that file........

siv

#3 Post by siv »

what is mc, and could you give us the URL?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

i have php installed
also perl

php is about 7 megs

it takes time to make a dotpup package
99.9999% of the time it takes is getting the program to work properly (tweaking, configuring, debugging, testing ... and i may not know much about the program or how it works, when i start)

zipping the files into a dotpup file only takes a few minutes

here's a pic of the php test page that comes with Monkey (running in Monkey): http://tinypic.com/6oin4j.jpg

#5 Post by Guest »

Pull ya (insert bad word here) head in and have a look rather than waiting for everthing being handed on a platter for you.........

siv

#6 Post by siv »

what is WC!?

siv

#7 Post by siv »

excuse me... MC!? there is nothing in the wiki that mentions MC at all.

siv

#8 Post by siv »

i found mc but your instructions don't work. I am using monkey, how do i install php and mysql? that's all i want to do, but you guys are making things more confusing.

#9 Post by Guest »

Oh great wonderous one...we are so sorry that we are unable to jump at your command.......

You've got two threads going, no mention of thanks when someone trys to help then all you do is complain.......Puppy is primarily a DESKTOP distro to take things further means some tinkering of your own behalf. We are all not here at the beck & call of people that just jump on and say I want I want, give me give me.......Lokk if you need php, mysql and a web server try a full on distro like Slackware, RedHat, SuSe or the many others that are around....Even Freesco has packages that will give you what you want, with people that have debugged these packages

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Role Playing

#10 Post by Lobster »

:) Bladehunter has helped a great number of people get there hardware running and has even created a special distro for this. Those of us reading between the lines are well aware of this.

It is worthwhile to know that those efforts are appreciated by those who have been unconfused. For those of reading that some people are a little confused about Bladehunters or other helpful Pups role . . . I would say . . .

exactly nothing . . .

except "Thanks Bladehunter"
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

raffy

Server + PHP

#11 Post by raffy »

So if i may clarify, is bladehunter saying, "the monkey server is already there in Guestoo's dotpups, and all the user needs is to add the PHP package to it"?

I've seen the recent posts of bladehunter, and i wish him well in his future ventures...
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Nathan F

#12 Post by Nathan F »

I don't know a whole lot about PHP, but it seems to me that Perl should give you plenty of options to play around with.There is a pupget package for it and although it is a cut down version it seems to run all of the scripts I've tried quite well. I'll wait on trying PHP until I've exhausted what can be done with my current setup(learning one langauge at a time is enough for me).

As far as database, try quisp is all I have to say. You have to keep in mind that things are meant to be small in Puppy, so you may not be able to run the same apps as you would on a more "mainstream" distro. There is usually a way to achieve the same effect with different software, even if you have to find a creative way of doing it.

I agree with most of what's been said by the other posters on this thread about doing some of the work yourself, although it maybe could have been in a slightly less condescending tone. Personally, I think these guys' talents are better put to use perfecting the OS than answering the beck and call of anyone who just wants some specific software packaged up in an easy format for them. Hardware detection still needs a little work for instance, although it's really quite good for the most part. I'm still having a little trouble with USB. System issues like these have to take precedence.

I'm learning everything that I can at a fast pace. When I'm finally up to speed I may try my hand at making dotpups for some software that I'd like to have. For now I try and help where I can. For instance I spell-checked and formatted the help page for beta-ftpd. You don't have to be a wunderkind to do some of these things and they go a long way towards making friends with some of the people who ARE doing development for Puppy. When and if someone does decide to package up PHP or mysql for Puppy, you can bet I'll be following the thread daily. And I'll offer to help in any way I can rather than just waiting for someone to else do all the work.

One last thing. I'm going to start a new thread on forum ettiquette. I welcome anyone and everyone from this thread to take a look and post to it. It's a subject that newbies and experts alike sometimes need to brush up on.

Nathan

raffy

Thanks

#13 Post by raffy »

Thanks for the comments, Nathan, wil check on that topic. Meantime, i will see if i can run PHP with Monkey.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].