Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 20 Sep 2014, 04:12
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Utilities
Firewall Toggle pet package
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
tronkel

PostPosted: Thu 24 Feb 2011, 13:39    Post subject:  Firewall Toggle pet package
Subject description: Toggles Firewall on and off

Attached is a pet package that toggles your firewall on and off.

Firewalls sometimes get in the way if you are trying to access another device over a router etc. A slick means of doing this can save your time during configuration.

Edit 1: Latest version here has improved fonts plus a state indicator that shows if firewall is on or off
Edit 2: Now comes with a modified .jwmrc-tray that upgrades your JWM taskbar to include an icon that starts the firewall toggler. Restart JWM to see the extra icon.
Edit 3: Replaced with a smaller resizeable main window that can be resized larger but not smaller.
Edit 4: Firewall current state is shown at program start up. Un-installing the package via Puppy PPM removes the tray and menu icons and restores the JWM tray to its original state
FirewallToggle-1.0.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  FirewallToggle-1.0.pet 
Filesize  173.69 KB 
Downloaded  649 Time(s) 

Last edited by tronkel on Sun 27 Feb 2011, 07:38; edited 12 times in total
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Thu 24 Feb 2011, 19:28    Post subject:  

I've been looking for something to do this, there is tasmods firewallstate-1.7 tray icon but that has a heap of other stuff that I don't require, just a simple tray icon that indicates that the firewall is active or not with the option to turn it on or off would be a preferable choice.

This app, I have to say it, does look a little ugly and there is no feedback as to whether it as been successful, but then again as long as it works I guess.
tronkel

PostPosted: Fri 25 Feb 2011, 03:30    Post subject:  

@Geoffrey

The app did have some ugly fonts due to some problem with the version of FLTK that I used to build it with. Meanwhile I have re-compiled a later version of FLTK and this seems to have fixed the fonts issue at least. I have rebuilt the dotpet with a later executable that uses the later FLTK and so the fonts are much better now. You can re-download the pet from the above forum message and re-install.

To check that the app works, open a terminal in /user/bin and run the ./ToggleFirewall from there. The terminal read-out should then display the state of the firewall as it gets toggled.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Fri 25 Feb 2011, 03:52    Post subject:  

Smile
Just to remind that in Puppy Lucid 5.2 and 5.2.1
the firewall can be run and toggled off/on by right clicking
on the firewall icon, bottom right of desktop
in the taskbar

Last edited by Lobster on Sat 26 Feb 2011, 04:49; edited 1 time in total
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Fri 25 Feb 2011, 07:55    Post subject:  

tronkel wrote:
@Geoffrey

The app did have some ugly fonts due to some problem with the version of FLTK that I used to build it with. Meanwhile I have re-compiled a later version of FLTK and this seems to have fixed the fonts issue at least. I have rebuilt the dotpet with a later executable that uses the later FLTK and so the fonts are much better now. You can re-download the pet from the above forum message and re-install.

To check that the app works, open a terminal in /user/bin and run the ./ToggleFirewall from there. The terminal read-out should then display the state of the firewall as it gets toggled.

I tried to download it again but it seems the file doesn't exist even though the link is there, might be an error on the server.

edit
my mistake you must of been uploading as now it's working.

Ok, I tried it not much luck, I'm running wary_510 there is no tray icon and the app GUI is quite large and not sizable.
FirewallToggle.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   12.68 KB
 Viewed   1259 Time(s)

FirewallToggle.jpg

Geoffrey

PostPosted: Fri 25 Feb 2011, 09:01    Post subject:  

I got the taskbar icon working, would have been nicer if it was a tray icon with a pop up menu that toggled it on and off.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Utilities
Jump to: