A recent Pidgin for 4.31?

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
bleriot

A recent Pidgin for 4.31?

#1 Post by bleriot »

Hi!

Today I installed Puppy 4.31 in my old Toshiba Portégé 4000. First, I tried to install the latest release (5.2) but this version was not able to find my wireless card. Therefore, I switched to 4.31 following someone's else advice who had gone through the same steps than me since he had exactly the same computer model.

Everything is fine but Pidgin. When I install it from the repositories (for version 4) I get Pidgin working, but it is unable to connect to MSN. The error message says that it is unable to understand MSN's protocol.

Therefore, I need a "modern" version of Pidgin able to run in 4.31. I've been looking at the forum, but, honestly, I get lost among all these codenames: wary, lucid, dpup, spup... so I don't know which version is a package targeted at! I have even looked for these codenames, trying to ascertain if something that has been built for (let's say) "dpup" is valid or not for my version. No success. I'm new to Puppy (yesterday!) and, I confess, I'm completely lost.

So, please, could you tell me where could I find a modern version of Pidgin able to work in 4.31? In fact, I don't need Pidgin specifically. Any IM client able to connect to MSN will do.

Thank you very much for your help!

Bleriot

EDIT ------

Got it!

Just half an hour after posting the previous message, I found a version for 4.1.x (here the poster said clearly "4.1.x", not "wary" or "dpup") that WORKS in 4.31 and connects perfectly to MSN.

If any other one needs this .pet, it may be found here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58553

Thanks to dejan555 for his work! He's the one who posted the .pet.

Bleriot

shariebeth

#2 Post by shariebeth »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... =862359147

I also use 431 when using puppy, and this thread was very helpful as well.

I can't believe this still isn't fixed, after how many posts and threads and requests in #p?

bleriot

#3 Post by bleriot »

I also found the post you quote, but the link is broken!

Thanks, Bleriot.

shariebeth

#4 Post by shariebeth »

Ugh, ok, sorry about that.
I got that about a year ago, and it always worked since, so never checked it out beyond that point.
Glad to see there is another fix!