Will SeLinux work with Puppy? (Solved)

For discussions about security.
flihi5ive

Will SeLinux work with Puppy? (Solved)

#1 Post by flihi5ive »

Will SeLinux work with Puppy Linux?
Last edited by flihi5ive on Sun 27 Feb 2011, 06:25, edited 1 time in total.

l0wt3ch

#2 Post by l0wt3ch »

Seeing how SELinux was contributed by the American NSA, it should be called "NSALinux".

I, for one, am glad it's not included. I don't trust 'em.

flihi5ive

#3 Post by flihi5ive »

l0wt3ch wrote:Seeing how SELinux was contributed by the American NSA, it should be called "NSALinux".

I, for one, am glad it's not included. I don't trust 'em.
Are there any security features in Puppy Linux or security features that can be activated or installed?

runtt21

#4 Post by runtt21 »

Turn on the fire wall and you should be good to go .Unless you do something really dumb.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

You are not in Kansas or Windows anymore :)
You can install GROWL I wrote it and use the Firewall and nothing more

The most dangerous thing on the computer is the user
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Security

Welcome to the kennels :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

flihi5ive

#6 Post by flihi5ive »

Lobster wrote:You are not in Kansas or Windows anymore :)
You can install GROWL I wrote it and use the Firewall and nothing more

The most dangerous thing on the computer is the user

Welcome to the kennels :)
THANX!!!

efiguy

[SOLVED]SELinux Question

#7 Post by efiguy »

Hi,
- Know this is marked solved, and was interesting to learn of "NSAlinux".
- Would be curious to compare kernel with something else, maybe??
- And thank you for "Growl", Lobster.

- But also went over and read Wikka page.
For the most part, I feel an agreement with the Wikka security comments,
But might "Kibbitz" the following:
-
-
(QUOTE)
# use the latest available versions of cryptography libraries: OpenSSL, GnuTLS, libgcrypt
# use the latest available version of Web browsers: Opera, SeaMonkey, Firefox, Arora
# use the latest available version of Adobe Flash Player (if it is used)
# use a Puppy version with a recent kernel version

- My reasoning stems from the observation that since around '03, an escalated "what seems as guided objective" of the "web social programs", or an unique concentrated effort within the shaping of web servers and browsers to "store and leak" more of a users identity or surfing history.
- This maybe well and good for uncovering potential continental - country conspiracies, (The Se-quoiaa systems) however other types of website constructors might not be so benign using the data.

- Taking advantage of the "cutting edge" server deployments, have found that older javascript and browsers now have an advantge when "about:config" is enhanced for security. (Just today had a website announce "Your browser did not send a referrer link" for the first time - They are Looking;) - In other words one "optimises", the java edition and browser identity (add the appropriate No-Script) to just "barely function" for the banking operations, mail and ectra. The result is that most of the newer page downloaded java code ceases to function.

- By the same token, my recent sampling of blogs and forums finds users not vulunteering to update Adobe above 9.xx without essential need.

- I would like to believe that most Linux kernels (ssl) are safe, (There are reports and suspicions) have no means of checking, but personally prefer copies of the earlier issues of Puppy even with some bugs. Believe or not , some of the older windows versions with crippled dll's - services, from the use of PClite, Nlite, third party firewalls (IPcop), and internal editing, become relatively immune to virus, rootkit problems.
-
- My conclusion is that the focus of security on the system, is not as important today as the Java and Browser, the new culprit of "ident-traking".

Thanks for the platform,
(stepping down)
jay