amsn

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Geoffrey

amsn

#1 Post by Geoffrey »

Here is a pet for amsn-0.98.4, I compiled this in lucid 5.2

It is limited in it functions not being totally compatible with windows live messenger.

Depending on which version of live messenger is being used doesn't always send files, but it works with other amsn messengers.

I added the snack lib for audio and voice clips, the webcam works but not when connecting to Windows Live Messenger, neither do voice clips.

The tray icon is shown in openbox wm with Lxpanel, icewm and XFCE wm but not in jwm, so don't enable minimize to tray if jwm is used or the GUI will be lost

This needs tk-8-5 and tcl-8-5, the tk-8_5_4-i486-1ga.pet and tcl-8_5_4-i486-1ga.pet packages below also contain example programs.
Use the tk-8.5.6.pet and tcl-8.5.6-v1.pet to keep it small.

amsn-0.98.4_lucid_5.2.pet HERE size 15 meg also works with Lighthousepup LHP-502

amsn-0.98.4_fluppy.pet HERE size 15 meg

amsn-0.98.4-wary_510.pet HERE size 15 meg also works with mywolf-028 and Quirky-NOP 1.20

tk-8_5_4-i486-1ga.pet HERE or faster download HERE size 1751 kb

tcl-8_5_4-i486-1ga.pet HERE or faster download HERE size 2168 kb

Here are newer Tcl/Tk files that are at http://www.pa-mcclamrock.com/icebox.html#Tcl/Tk or get them from the links below

tk-8.5.6.pet HERE size 620k

tcl-8.5.6-v1.pet HERE size 602k

Edit: added faster download links for tk-8_5_4 and tcl-8_5_4
Edit: updated information.
Last edited by Geoffrey on Wed 02 Mar 2011, 05:27, edited 8 times in total.

Geoffrey

#2 Post by Geoffrey »

I have compiled amsn for fluppy see first post

Geoffrey

#3 Post by Geoffrey »

Updated download links, see first post

DM was on fire!

#4 Post by DM was on fire! »

Gonna try these in a second. Thank you! :)

GustavoYz

#5 Post by GustavoYz »

Sound Support working?

DM was on fire!

#6 Post by DM was on fire! »

I haven't had someone send me a sound clip. I'll see if someone wouldn't mind and I'll give you a report, Gustav.

It's running great, and solved all the issues I had with the previous verison :) Running Lucid 2.3.8 beta. I did notice that with the tcl and tk files you provided, it was informing me there were missing libs. So I used the other tcl and tk .pets I had (on top of the ones you provided, actually; so I don't know if it resolves the issue wtih just mine alone) and it works fine. If someone else has the issue, I'll attach my tcl and tk pets for use. :)

Doesn't work on KDE though, but that's why Pidgin is for when I'm over there.

GustavoYz

#7 Post by GustavoYz »

Thanks, would love to have a confirmation... I'm wondering if 'mic-on-mic' conversations are supported, nothing else.

My tcl/tk files?
Those were 'patched' to work with Pd, sorry if doesn't work for this app.

Geoffrey

#8 Post by Geoffrey »

Compiled amsn for wary_510.

GustavoYz said
"Thanks, would love to have a confirmation... I'm wondering if 'mic-on-mic' conversations are supported, nothing else."

voice chat don't work, it has been disabled, it is supposed to be fixed in the next release along with the webcam, farsight is needed to use these features which is in the fluppy version.

voice clips should work though, it has trouble if the user your connected to is using windows live messenger, file transfer seems to work transferring to another amsn clients.

Thats strange about the tcl/tk files, I've had no problems.

DM was on fire!

#9 Post by DM was on fire! »

It could've even been the fact I'm only running Puppy beta and not the actual thing.
Either way it works. I'm so ecstatic that I have my offline messaging again.

Thank you again Geoffrey!

Geoffrey

#10 Post by Geoffrey »

I just tested the webcam with someone using amsn, it works fine, also voice clips work, the only thing disabled is the conference voice chat, though I haven't been able to get the webcam or voice clips to connect to windows live messenger, I will endeavor to get all the required packages together when the next release of amsn is available, hopefully it will have conferencing fixed.

Geoffrey

#11 Post by Geoffrey »

The amsn-0.98.4-wary_510.pet also works with mywolf-028, which uses XFCE.
In the amsn Preferences under Other set
Browser: " firefox $url "
File Manager: "Thunar $location "
Open file command: " Thunar $file "
Use the tk-8.5.6.pet and tcl-8.5.6-v1.pet as they are smaller,
the other tk-8_5_4-i486-1ga.pet and tcl-8_5_4-i486-1ga.pet can be used
if you want the tk sample programs that are included.

kitkunthon

test thai language

#12 Post by kitkunthon »

I try aMSN in LUPU520
can type Thai letter

but in Wary5.1.1
can type only English letter
cannot type Thai letter

Geoffrey

Re: test thai language

#13 Post by Geoffrey »

kitkunthon wrote:I try aMSN in LUPU520
can type Thai letter

but in Wary5.1.1
can type only English letter
cannot type Thai letter
I don't really know why that is, maybe Wary does not have Thai support.

I can only suggest that you have a look at shinobar's Multilingual Wary RC.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=63503

kitkunthon

#14 Post by kitkunthon »

thank you
wary5.1.1 support Thai language
I can use seamonkeys , libre office in Thai
aMSN in LUPU5.2 complete work with Thai

Geoffrey

#15 Post by Geoffrey »

Updated first post, amsn-0.98.4-wary_510.pet works with Quirky-NOP 1.20, would like to know if any of the amsn pet's work with any other versions of puppy, so that I can update the list, Thank you in advance.

kitkunthon

aMSN can use Thai both in LUPU520 and WARY5.1.1

#16 Post by kitkunthon »

:D
now I found that
If use Thai will not use UTF-8 Fonts

May be with other language

GustavoYz

#17 Post by GustavoYz »

Exactly, but it was a question or an assumption?
UTF-8 codifications for some oriental languages make everything bigger in size and weight too.

pacer106

how to install these?

#18 Post by pacer106 »

im really new to linux & puppy linux. ive been tryin to figure out how to install these onto my puppy lucid 5.2.5 & when i download all 3 of them they go from a .pet package to .gz package. i did what i was told in a few things ive read which was to unzip them & that just took the .gz off it seems & nothing was installed. i have all 3 now in a folder but can not figure out how to install when i right click all it seems to want to do is repack them in a .tar.gz package so if someone anyone could tell me exactly how to install this amsn & its dependancies id very much appreciate it.

Makoto

#19 Post by Makoto »

Some browsers apparently look at the content of the file being downloaded, and "helpfully" add an extension, for whatever reason. In your case, do .pet files somehow become .pet.gz files after you've downloaded them? If so, rename the file and remove the ".gz" (so that it's just .pet, again) before clicking on it to install it.

(Do this on the original versions of the files you've downloaded. The versions of the files that have been 'decompressed,' removing the .gz that way, may have been corrupted in some way.)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

pacer106

thanks

#20 Post by pacer106 »

Thanks for the reply Makoto i will give that a try :) i did download them from this thread on a xp so it makes sense that it might do somethin like that. i will download them from the lucid puppy & see how that goes. again thanks for takin the time to answerin me its very appreciated :) i do my best to figure everything out on my own but this 1 confused me lol.