PETS2SFSGUI-1.4 - combine/convert few pets into one SFS

Miscellaneous tools
trio

PETS2SFSGUI-1.4 - combine/convert few pets into one SFS

#1 Post by trio »

Hi,

This is a tool to combine/convert several pets into one sfs file, which you can use with any puppy in your system without installing again your favorite pets one by one for each puppy.

made in LUPU 520, menu entry under utility group

Warning: the directory on which you convert the pets to sfs, has to have minimum empty space 2 x total pets size
For Now: Do not use /mnt/home as working directory ..

I do not know if a GUI tool like this has been created before ... and I don't care ... :lol: edit: Change the name to pets2sfsgui .. seems somebody has made a CLI pets2sfs .... (nothing else change though), but no codes has been adopted from there (edit it was scottman who made pets2sfs)

Enjoy

To create pet/sfs use Petmaker

New v 1.4: Change how functions work
New v 1.3.1:
- Ability to choose whether you want to create a new sfs or add pets to existing sfs (the original sfs won't be altered). Note: adding pets in order to update, doesn't always work if the pet itself has different file(s), that's why some pets need to be uninstalled when updating
- All the upgrades of 1.2.1
- Restart App button

Updated to v 1.2.1 - Bugfix: remove pets leftovers after extracted, default dir is $HOME (/root), less mouse clicks when adding pets (remembers last dir, but default dir when start is $HOME - thanks to jim1911)
Updated to v 1.2 - Less mouse click to add a pet to list, default working directory is /mnt/home, add warning text
Updated to v 1.1 - Replace "manual edit" function with "remove"
Attachments
pets2sfsgui-1.4.pet
New added feature: add pets to existing sfs
(2.16 KiB) Downloaded 4241 times
pets2sfs.jpg
(13.98 KiB) Downloaded 8572 times
pets2sfsgui-1.2.1.pet
Made in lupu, should work anyway in other puppies
(1.71 KiB) Downloaded 1676 times
Last edited by trio on Sat 22 Nov 2014, 08:20, edited 12 times in total.

trio

#2 Post by trio »

Updated to v 1.1 - Replace "manual edit" function with "remove"

Jasper

#3 Post by Jasper »

Hi trio,

Thank you for this tool.

I have downloaded it, but as I have no urgent need to use it I would like to ask:

is the "remove" button for use both pre and post execution or only pre?

What I have in mind is, say, I combine 10 programs and then I would like to incorporate an update to one of them.

My regards

trio

#4 Post by trio »

Jasper,

Remove is only for "pre" process ... This tool is not to edit an existing sfs ... Although the idea is tempting ... :)

trio

#5 Post by trio »

Updated to v 1.2 - Less mouse click to add a pet to list, default working directory is /mnt/home, add warning text

trio

#6 Post by trio »

FOR TESTING

version 1.3:

Choose whether you want to create a new sfs or add pets to existing sfs (the original sfs won't be altered if it's in a different directory). Note: adding pets in order to update, doesn't always work if the pet itself has different file(s), that's why some pets need to be uninstalled when updating

Please kindly report ... thanks

Edit: Deleted for further evaluation
Last edited by trio on Thu 03 Mar 2011, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.

Jim1911

#7 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi trio,

Thanks for this new utility.

Please add some additional information and cautions about use, preferably in a Help file accessed by a Help button. My initial try was a disaster. I added a number of pets to be converted, accepted the default directory (mnt/home), provided a name for the new sfs, and clicked on create sfs. Surprise, it created a new directory by that name and proceeded to copy the entire contents of mnt/home plus the pets from another partition into that new file. The pets were also copied to /mnt/home. Naturally, I terminated the operation. :(

The next try, I was careful to name an empty directory to be used, then it worked fine. :D

The feature to add a pet to an existing sfs file did not work for me. :(

Also, please consider:
(1) Causing the add button to default to the last directory that was selected. That will eliminate a lot of extra clicks.
(2) Adding an additional button that will restart the program which will be helpful if the next desired operation is going to be with an existing sfs.

Thanks again,
Jim

trio

#8 Post by trio »

Hi Jim1911,

Thanks for the report, and sorry for the disaster. I don't really have time right now, but I will look into:
1. Not help file, but further investigation about default working directory
2. I will delete the testing v 1.3 for the time being, until I have time

Regards,
Trio

trio

#9 Post by trio »

FOR TESTING

jim1911

I can't duplicate your disaster, but only it's true that there're some pets leftovers in the working DIR ... and also I can load existing sfs and add some pets, so this one's for testing for now:

v 1.3.1:
- Ability to choose whether you want to create a new sfs or add pets to existing sfs (the original sfs won't be altered). Note: adding pets in order to update, doesn't always work if the pet itself has different file(s), that's why some pets need to be uninstalled when updating
- All the upgrades of 1.2.1
- Restart App button

Regards

Edit: I am putting this on mainpost as noone seems to give feedback fo bugs
Attachments
pets2sfsgui-1.3.1.pet
(2.19 KiB) Downloaded 1447 times
Last edited by trio on Sun 06 Mar 2011, 04:56, edited 1 time in total.

r1tz

#10 Post by r1tz »

Wow, i like this idea. :D

Could you make a feature perhaps to add .pe(s)t to an existing sfs file?

trio

#11 Post by trio »

r1tz wrote:Wow, i like this idea. :D

Could you make a feature perhaps to add .pe(s)t to an existing sfs file?
Try the v 1.3.1. For testing

r1tz

#12 Post by r1tz »

Oh, i somehow missed that. I only saw it after i posted.

I was going to edit my post but you replied too fast :D

Jim1911

#13 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi trio,

Thanks for the new v 1.3.1, it's working great. :D Your change to default to the last directory that was selected to add a pet, along with the dropdown to select a directory have made it much faster to use. :D

I did not try to recreate the disaster that I had with v. 1.3. It's possible that it was caused by a conflict with existing software. Also, the mess on /mnt/home may have been cleaned up if I had not terminated the operation when I discovered that the entire contents of /mnt/home were being copied, although there would have been a hugh sfs created. I just made sure I started with an empty working directory. It was no fun cleaning up /mnt/home.

Thanks again,
Jim

darkcity

#14 Post by darkcity »

starlyte

Thanks for this work

#15 Post by starlyte »

Thanks for your work, just downloaded the latest. I've got to install, with a late Wine, .NET framework, to use a Vapers Ejuice Calculator, as I've given up smoking, use Electronic Cigs, and make my juice. There isn't a calculator for Linux, unfortunately. Even mor unfortunately, I'm not, for the moment, up to making one, yet... :lol:

snayak

#16 Post by snayak »

Dear trio,

I took jdk pet from Barry's blog post http://barryk.org/news/?viewDetailed=00222. Installed PETS2SFSGUI pet on Precise 571. It opened nicely. But after converting this pet to sfs, I couldn't load it. It said, permission failure. :-(

Then, I used
1. pet2tgz to convert pet to tar.gz
2. tar -xvzf to convert tar.gz to a directory
3. dir2sfs to convert that directory to sfs
This got loaded nicely.

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak
[Precise 571 on AMD Athlon XP 2000+ with 512MB RAM]
[Fatdog 720 on Intel Pentium B960 with 4GB RAM]

[url]http://srinivas-nayak.blogspot.com/[/url]