Wary Puppy 5.1.1 Final

Please post any bugs you have found
Country Bumkin

uSB Mouse failure on full install

#61 Post by Country Bumkin »

A USB mouse is not recognised when booted from a full install on a HDD.
It works normally using the live CD.

Using a full install of wary-511-k2.6.32.28-small.iso on an Acer 3618 laptop.

When booting the HDD the 'Waiting for modules USB' counts 1... 10

The laptop touch pad works normally and USB memory sticks work normally.

When connecting the USB mouse the 'messages' file shows no response.

Regards C Bumkin

gcmartin

Recommendation for SFSs

#62 Post by gcmartin »

What is the official method for LIveDVD Warry users to employ the DEVX SFS?

If there is no "official" method, what is a recommended method for employing any SFS on LIveDVD?

Thanks in advance.

Sage

#63 Post by Sage »

DRAM CAS# Latency : SPD
Timing Setting Mode : Normal
Those are default settings.
You should run Timing at Fast in virtually anything built since ~1998.
CAS Latency achievable depends on speed and quality of memory. By way of example only and bearing in mind Wary's intended application to older kit, you should be able to run 2T with branded 400Mhz DDR. PC100 SDRAM will usually give you good results with 3T, but if you're really lucky, some unbranded stuff is just excess production of 'branded' strips being off-loaded and you might be able to beef it up. [Higher number is slower.] You have to experiment.
It amazes me that folks who seem reasonable proficient in the SW Dept still haven't mastered the vagueries of FW!
You need:
http://www.wimsbios.com/
and
Adrian's Rojak Pot - if it's still around.
Try:
http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/mem ... ex_3.shtml
although my experiences are not the same as theirs. If you set CAS Latency too high, eg 2T, with inadequate memory, it can stop your board - of that there is no doubt, so their reported figures will come as a surprise to inveterate BIOS fiddlers.

Discussion of newer BIOS and non-BIOS systems is irrelevant in the context of Wary.

Colonel Panic

#64 Post by Colonel Panic »

Dear Barry,

I've just downloaded and am posting from Wary 5.1.

Thanks for Wary Pup, it's great!

Cheers,

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#65 Post by BarryK »

Upgrade for USB 3G modems!

If you have wary 5.1.1 (or 5.1 and you have applied the service_pack_wary-5.1-to-5.1.1.pet), I have created a Service Pack that upgrades usb-modeswitch to version 1.1.7. See my blog post:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02166

If you have a USB 3G modem, I would appreciate if you could test this Service Pack. I am particularly interested to get feedback on coldplugging versus hotplugging.

Note that if your 3G modem uses the 'hso.ko' kernel module, use Wary with the 2.6.32.28 kernel. I think that hso.ko is broken in the 2.6.31.14 kernel (?)
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

zekebaby

Re: potential issue of snapmergepuppy

#66 Post by zekebaby »

shinobar wrote:It is great that the new snapmergepuppy works fast.
But I suppose it has some potential issues.
  1. I wonder why we need to save the device nodes under /dev. They will be created after boot with udev architech.
    I am not sure it was the case, but my one laptop failed in sound at a time. It recovered by removing all /dev and reboot.
    I think most of them under /dev also need not in the main sfs.
According to udev docs, it should be safe to delete the /dev directory as it will be re-created at boot-up.

Barry was concerned about symlinks in the /dev directory. Those symlinks are for "persistent device naming", and are created by udev itself. Unless the symlinks were created manually, udev will happily recreate them for you if you delete all /dev entries in the save file. I confirmed this in my wary 5.1.1 system.

zekebaby

Alsa issues FIXED (woohoo!)

#67 Post by zekebaby »

A few of you have probably remember my saga with disappearing sound on my Toughbook CF-T2. Sound would always be detected on a new boot (no warysave) but disappear 5-10 reboots later. This never happens in Puppy 4.3.1 or wary 030, but happens in all warys starting with 051.

Something in Shinobar's latest post inspired me. To make a long story short, I began comparing warysave files that have sound with ones that don't and started selectively morphing one into the other till I found the difference that broke things.

The final solution was to delete the 'snd' directory in /dev at shutdown. For some strange reason, the sound card is detected differently some times, making the saved device nodes wrong.

I'm still poking around the alsa changes to try to find out what actually broke things between 030 and 051, but for now, wary is usable and I can finally move on from 4.3.1 and run bleeding-edge software one this circa-2001 machine.

Greatnessguru

#68 Post by Greatnessguru »

Barry,

I run Wary 5.1.1.
I installed service_pack_wary-5.1.1-to-20110303.pet.
I rebooted.

PupDial did not autodetect my mobile phone until I ran:
modprobe -v usbserial vendor=0x... product=0x...

I have had to do this after every boot since a year ago
when I found this out, thanks to Google.

I do wish PupDial would have a dialog box whenever it finds:
" cat /proc/bus/usb/devices | grep -B1 -A9 "Cls=ff" " devices,
asking if they are modems, what driver to try, etc., etc.

I understand "usbserial" works with great numbers of "Cls=ff" modems,
so perhaps could be a default driver for them.

Thank you,
Eddie Maddox

rerwin

Some woof cleanup nits

#69 Post by rerwin »

Barry,
To remove the residue from my alternative implementation of mode switching, please remove the following files from woof:
- /etc/udev/rules.d/40-usb_modeswitch.rules (an unneeded link)
- /lib/udev/usb_modeswitch.sh (obsolete)
- /usr/sbin/pusbmodeswitch
- /usr/sbin/pusbmodeswitch_adapt

In my testing of wary 5.1.1, I see that it does not check my USB flash drives for being ready. Puppy does not display the "usb-storage" text after "usb", in the "waiting for modules" line during bootup. When I substitute for:

Code: Select all

if [ "`cat /tmp/pup_event_backend/pup_event_module_devpath_log* | grep 'usb_storage'`" != "" ];then #see pup_event_backend_modprobe
the statement:

if [ "`cat /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/modalias | grep -m 1 'ic08'`" != "" ];then #110225 usb-storage modalias interface fields are ic08isc06ip50, if needed.
The text always appears, implying that the check was made for the the USB devices being ready. This seems a more direct way of determining whether to check for the readiness of USB storage devices.

Thanks.
Richard

FeodorF

Seamonkey 2.0.12 doesn't work

#70 Post by FeodorF »

Has anybody got Seamonkey 2.0.12 running on Wary 5xx (k-2.6.xx.xx) ?

Firefox 3.6.14 is also a no go with Wary 5xx

In Quirky 130 SM&FF just working fine.

Regards, FeodorF

Country Bumkin

USB 3g Modem on Wary 511

#71 Post by Country Bumkin »

Using a frugal HDD install of wary-511-k2.6.32.28-small.iso on an Acer 3618 laptop with 3g service pack. Modem is E169 connected to Optus Australia via Exetel. (layer 2 connection)

With a cold start the messages file shows...

Mar  4 22:36:08 puppypc user.info kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
Mar  4 22:36:08 puppypc user.info kernel: usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Mar  4 22:36:08 puppypc user.info kernel: scsi5 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
Mar  4 22:36:08 puppypc user.debug kernel: usb-storage: device found at 2
Mar  4 22:36:08 puppypc user.debug kernel: usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
Mar  4 22:36:08 puppypc user.notice kernel: scsi 5:0:0:0: CD-ROM            HUAWEI   Mass Storage     2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
Mar  4 22:36:08 puppypc user.warn kernel: sr1: scsi-1 drive
Mar  4 22:36:08 puppypc user.debug kernel: sr 5:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr1
Mar  4 22:36:08 puppypc user.notice kernel: scsi 5:0:0:1: Direct-Access     HUAWEI   SD Storage       2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
Mar  4 22:36:08 puppypc user.debug kernel: usb-storage: device scan complete
Mar  4 22:36:08 puppypc user.notice kernel: sd 5:0:0:1: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
....(snip irrelevant lines)
Mar  4 22:36:08 puppypc user.info kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
Mar  4 22:36:08 puppypc user.info kernel: USB Serial support registered for generic
Mar  4 22:36:08 puppypc user.info kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
Mar  4 22:36:08 puppypc user.info kernel: usbserial: USB Serial Driver core
Mar  4 22:36:08 puppypc user.info kernel: USB Serial support registered for GSM modem (1-port)
Mar  4 22:36:08 puppypc user.info kernel: option 2-1:1.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
Mar  4 22:36:08 puppypc user.info kernel: usb 2-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0
Mar  4 22:36:08 puppypc user.info kernel: option 2-1:1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
Mar  4 22:36:08 puppypc user.info kernel: usb 2-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1
Mar  4 22:36:08 puppypc user.info kernel: option 2-1:1.2: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
Mar  4 22:36:08 puppypc user.info kernel: usb 2-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB2
Mar  4 22:36:08 puppypc user.info kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver option
Mar  4 22:36:08 puppypc user.info kernel: option: v0.7.2:USB Driver for GSM modems
Using connect option produces this log

--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","exetel1"
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","exetel1"
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT*99#
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT*99#
CONNECT
--> Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt.
--> Don't know what to do!  Starting pppd and hoping for the best.
--> Starting pppd at Fri Mar  4 09:59:16 2011
--> pid of pppd: 30174
Note that this service does not have a username/password - dummy strings were used.

Waiting until the modem indicator light shows a connection then starting a web browser produces normal operation.

If the connection is closed then reconnected the connect log looks identical but the web browser will fail with lookup errors, however I can ping numeric addresses. /etc/resolve.conf contains

nameserver 10.11.12.13
nameserver 10.11.12.14

All subsequent attempts fail the same way till a reboot. On a connection that works resolve.conf contains the published ISP DNS addresses

If the modem is connected after boot up only the storage device is registered, no TTYUSB0 is found, messages shows...

Mar  4 22:28:38 puppypc user.info kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
Mar  4 22:28:38 puppypc user.info kernel: usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Mar  4 22:28:38 puppypc user.info kernel: scsi3 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
Mar  4 22:28:38 puppypc user.debug kernel: usb-storage: device found at 2
Mar  4 22:28:38 puppypc user.debug kernel: usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
Mar  4 22:28:38 puppypc user.info kernel: usb 2-1: USB disconnect, address 2
Mar  4 22:28:39 puppypc user.info kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
Mar  4 22:28:39 puppypc user.info kernel: usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Mar  4 22:28:39 puppypc user.info kernel: scsi7 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
Mar  4 22:28:39 puppypc user.debug kernel: usb-storage: device found at 3
Mar  4 22:28:39 puppypc user.debug kernel: usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
Mar  4 22:28:44 puppypc user.notice kernel: scsi 7:0:0:0: CD-ROM            HUAWEI   Mass Storage     2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
Mar  4 22:28:44 puppypc user.warn kernel: sr1: scsi-1 drive
Mar  4 22:28:44 puppypc user.debug kernel: sr 7:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr1
Mar  4 22:28:44 puppypc user.notice kernel: scsi 7:0:0:1: Direct-Access     HUAWEI   SD Storage       2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
Mar  4 22:28:44 puppypc user.debug kernel: usb-storage: device scan complete
Mar  4 22:28:44 puppypc user.notice kernel: sd 7:0:0:1: [sdc] Attached SCSI removable disk
Any suggestions ?

Regards C Bumkin

Billtoo

Wary Puppy 5.1.1 Final

#72 Post by Billtoo »

lxterminal-0.1.9-i686.pet is a terminal emulator with tabs and can be
configured with various font styles and sizes,transparent background,
etc.
It needs vte-0.26.2-i686.pet installed as well or it won't run.
Attachments
lxterminal-0.1.9-i686.pet
(83.76 KiB) Downloaded 495 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#73 Post by BarryK »

tronkel wrote:Re. above problem with Boot manager blacklist dialogue. I tried a fresh pup_save and the problem has disappeared.

Seems then that this might have to do with using a the same pup_save with 511 as I did with 510. There was no offer of a version upgrade when booting into the new 511 system for the first time.

I'd have thought that the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file would have persisted over the upgrade - and it has.

The last line of the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file seems to be malformed though with a final missing skiplist entry - or is this normal?
blacklist SKIPLIST='
blacklist nouveau
blacklist arcfb
blacklist cirrusfb
blacklist cyber2000fb
blacklist cyblafb
blacklist hgafb
blacklist neofb
blacklist pm2fb
blacklist s1d13xxxfb
blacklist sstfb
blacklist tdfxfb
blacklist tridentfb
blacklist vga16fb
blacklist aty128fb
blacklist atyfb
blacklist radeonfb
blacklist i810fb
blacklist intelfb
blacklist kyrofb
blacklist nvidiafb
blacklist rivafb
blacklist savagefb
blacklist sisfb
blacklist btaudio
blacklist es1371
blacklist i810_audio
blacklist kahlua
blacklist trident
blacklist ub
blacklist usbkbd
blacklist usbmouse
blacklist via82cxxx_audio
blacklist rt2800usb
blacklist rt2x00usb
blacklist '
I am so puzzled about this. I don't know how you can get a malformed last line.

/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit generates /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf at every bootup:

rm -f /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist*.conf
BLACKLISTVARS="`echo "$SKIPLIST" | tr '\-' '_' | tr ' ' '\n' | sed -e 's/^/blacklist /' | grep -v ' $'`"
echo "$BLACKLISTVARS" > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
That grep -v ' $' should have removed that malformed line.

Well, the thing to check next is the SKIPLIST variable, you will find it in /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG
-- would you mind posting the content of that variable?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#74 Post by BarryK »

Doglover wrote:
BarryK wrote:
Doglover wrote:Nice job Barry, but my wireless network settings are not saved when rebooting or shutdown. I'm using the standard Network Wizard. Everything else works great.
Have you tried Simple Network Setup (SNS)? I don't develop nor use Network Wizard myself, and rely on others to find any faults in it.
Upgraded to 5.1.1 and tried the SNS... but still the network settings are not saved. I have a rt2500 pci, (which for the first time) needed to have the antenna turned on to activate the interface. Previous puppies did not need the antenna switch to be pressed, I have a pcmcia card that I can try, but I'd rather use the onboard chip.
Regarding the antenna switch, I wonder if that has anything to do with "rfkill". I configured the 2.6.32.28 kernel with the rfkill module enabled -- this is the default kernel used in Wary 5.1.x. However, the 2.6.31.14 kernel is configured without rfkill.

So, try Wary 5.1.x built with the 2.6.31.14 kernel, see if that makes a difference re the antenna switch.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Wary 511 problem with Scribus EDIT

#75 Post by BarryK »

Henry wrote:I never stray much from QNop12 but thought I'd try the latest wary (small iso). Looked like a chance to try a modern Scribus, with only one dependency (Qt4).

Installed with ppm, it ran but complained: python plugin failed - look at detail in stderr. Said "something is probably broken with your python." What best to do?

EDIT: Actually, I don't know what python even does here. Scribus seems to work. Searching for python in the PPM yields nothing, not even a flicker, unlike searching for xfce, which gives a red banner. I was just curious. I installed a python pet to no avail. I don't expect to use Scribus anyway :-)

Also I have an etho and eth1 wired interfaces and have to choose one again after each boot. Not important and I think was mentioned above.

Otherwise things are getting better and better. Clean and crisp. Thanks, Barry

http://henrystrobel.com/linux.htm
Python is in the 'devx' SFS file:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... vx_511.sfs

I probably tested Scribus with the devx sfs loaded, so didn't realise that it would complain about missing Python otherwise. Yeah, Scribus should still work without Python.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re:requested testing k-2.6.32.28

#76 Post by BarryK »

FeodorF wrote:Dear Barry,

do you want me to try with less RAM(768MB, 512MB or 256MB+SWAP-partition)?

Cheers, FeodorF

Oh, I forgot one thing to mention (in common) about CD size.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-ROM

I have two very old spare drives; only being able to address 650MB(74min).

If you would have a drive like this installed with your SiS board, that could create md5sum errors to. (But only if the CD is filled up to the max with data.)
Thanks for doing that 'md5sum' test. That just eliminates that possibility. My PC with SiS chips that returns incorrect md5sums must have a hardware fault I think.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Recommendation for SFSs

#77 Post by BarryK »

gcmartin wrote:What is the official method for LIveDVD Warry users to employ the DEVX SFS?

If there is no "official" method, what is a recommended method for employing any SFS on LIveDVD?

Thanks in advance.
I presume that you mean "multisession DVD"?
You posted this question at my blog and I have replied there.

As far as live-CD or live-DVD, they work the same. Loading an SFS file is well documented.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Alsa issues FIXED (woohoo!)

#78 Post by BarryK »

zekebaby wrote:A few of you have probably remember my saga with disappearing sound on my Toughbook CF-T2. Sound would always be detected on a new boot (no warysave) but disappear 5-10 reboots later. This never happens in Puppy 4.3.1 or wary 030, but happens in all warys starting with 051.

Something in Shinobar's latest post inspired me. To make a long story short, I began comparing warysave files that have sound with ones that don't and started selectively morphing one into the other till I found the difference that broke things.

The final solution was to delete the 'snd' directory in /dev at shutdown. For some strange reason, the sound card is detected differently some times, making the saved device nodes wrong.

I'm still poking around the alsa changes to try to find out what actually broke things between 030 and 051, but for now, wary is usable and I can finally move on from 4.3.1 and run bleeding-edge software one this circa-2001 machine.
zekebaby,
Thanks for figuring that out. I have posted about this at my blog:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02168

tronkel

SKIPLIST

#79 Post by tronkel »

Barry wrote:

Code:
BLACKLISTVARS="`echo "$SKIPLIST" | tr '\-' '_' | tr ' ' '\n' | sed -e 's/^/blacklist /' | grep -v ' $'`"

Well, the thing to check next is the SKIPLIST variable, you will find it in /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG
Here is the current contents of the SKIPLIST variable as requested:
SKIPLIST="SKIPLIST=' nouveau arcfb cirrusfb cyber2000fb cyblafb hgafb neofb pm2fb s1d13xxxfb sstfb tdfxfb tridentfb vga16fb aty128fb atyfb radeonfb i810fb intelfb kyrofb nvidiafb rivafb savagefb sisfb btaudio es1371 i810_audio kahlua trident ub usbkbd usbmouse via82cxxx_audio rt2800usb rt2x00usb '"
This is the value shown with the pristine pup_save (as it originally was.). This seems to correctly show the 2 Ralink rtXXXX modules that I want to blacklist (at the end of the SKIPLIST line. Logical enough.

Seems OK to me now, but why would this get malformed in the first place - i.e. before the pup_save file was replaced with a fresh one? - Interesting! Hope this helps to lead to the solution. Let me know if you need anything else.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: SKIPLIST

#80 Post by BarryK »

tronkel wrote:Barry wrote:

Code:

Here is the current contents of the SKIPLIST variable as requested:
SKIPLIST="SKIPLIST=' nouveau arcfb cirrusfb cyber2000fb cyblafb hgafb neofb pm2fb s1d13xxxfb sstfb tdfxfb tridentfb vga16fb aty128fb atyfb radeonfb i810fb intelfb kyrofb nvidiafb rivafb savagefb sisfb btaudio es1371 i810_audio kahlua trident ub usbkbd usbmouse via82cxxx_audio rt2800usb rt2x00usb '"
This is the value shown with the pristine pup_save (as it originally was.). This seems to correctly show the 2 Ralink rtXXXX modules that I want to blacklist (at the end of the SKIPLIST line. Logical enough.

Seems OK to me now, but why would this get malformed in the first place - i.e. before the pup_save file was replaced with a fresh one? - Interesting! Hope this helps to lead to the solution. Let me know if you need anything else.
SKIPLIST=' nouveau arcfb cirrusfb cyber2000fb cyblafb hgafb neofb pm2fb s1d13xxxfb sstfb tdfxfb tridentfb vga16fb aty128fb atyfb radeonfb i810fb intelfb kyrofb nvidiafb rivafb savagefb sisfb btaudio es1371 i810_audio kahlua trident ub usbkbd usbmouse via82cxxx_audio rt2800usb rt2x00usb '
What you have posted is malformed.