No sound:/var/tmp/alsaconf.cards: No such file or directory

Booting, installing, newbie
AngelOfHope

No sound:/var/tmp/alsaconf.cards: No such file or directory

#1 Post by AngelOfHope »

Hi,
I'm pretty new to linux/puppy.
I've installed puppy 1.0.8 on HD, but I don't seem to get any sound.
When I try to run the ALSA sound wizard it just blinks after I hit enter, so I tried running it from a terminal (alsaconf) and it gave the following errors:

Building card database..
/usr/sbin/alsaconf: line 451: /var/tmp/alsaconf.cards: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/alsaconf: line 448: /var/tmp/alsaconf.cards: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/alsaconf: line 448: /var/tmp/alsaconf.cards: No such file or directory
No card database is found..

I have puppy on one HD (I boot with puppy floppy) and winXP on another.
The sound is not on-board, it's a PCI card. From WinXP:

Sounds and audio devices:
Audio:
Creative Sound Blaster PCI
Hardware:
Creative AudioPC (ES1371,ES1373)(WDM)

No idea what this all means, but maybe it helps..
BTW:
PIII 500Mhz / 192MB ram /hda=winXP=20Gig / hdb=puppy=9Gig

Any help is off course much appreciated

Kal

#2 Post by Kal »

Go to and run your live CD and copy from there, alsaconf.cards to harddrive, /root/my-documents. Then make a new "tmp" folder in /var, place a copy of alsaconf.cards in there from my-documents. Exit to prompt and try alsaconf again. This file seems to be removed on a harddrive installs because of being a temp folder. Good Luck, Kal

NickBiker

#3 Post by NickBiker »

Kal wrote:Go to and run your live CD and copy from there, alsaconf.cards to harddrive, /root/my-documents. Then make a new "tmp" folder in /var, place a copy of alsaconf.cards in there from my-documents. Exit to prompt and try alsaconf again. This file seems to be removed on a harddrive installs because of being a temp folder. Good Luck, Kal
Hi!
Just wanted to say I had the same problem! Searched the forum and wham! There was the answer! Works fine now - thanks! :P
Nick

See my Puppy webcam Guide at:
www.moyo.me.uk/pupplinux

papakanush

#4 Post by papakanush »

You also might try the new Puppy 109 CE. I am also a puppy newbie and the Alsa sound now works for my laptop with 109CE, whereas before version 108 did not (on my laptop, that is).

Just a thought.