WIFI and 3945 cards

N3ON.SAMURAI

WIFI and 3945 cards

#1 Post by N3ON.SAMURAI »

This is not specifically a howto but rather some info that i never found on the internets. Many people (myself included) have been unable to get this card working properly, it would either connect to an AP but wouldnt get a dhcp address, or would stall trying to connect. A weekend of looking on the net at drivers, kernel, etc and finding nothing that helped, i discovered a solution.

iwl3945 hates WEP. if your using WEP switch to WPA or open (or anything other than WEP really). The only reason i was using WEP (and the only reason others might) is to have secure(ish) wifi bridging (as my ap's didnt bridge using WPA).

Anyway, this is just a heads up for anyone who doesnt want to spend a frustrating few hours trying to figure out why their 3945 card doesnt work.

N3ON.SAMURAI

#2 Post by N3ON.SAMURAI »

Thought a bit more information might help.

My laptop is a Dell Studio 1555.
The puppy version was lupu 520.

with this puppy build (and the equivalent ubuntu build) my network cards, both eth0 and wlan0, would not come up when in the OS sometimes.

To fix this i put a script in the Startup folder that contains the following

killall -9 dhcpcd
ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig wlan0 down
ifconfig eth0 up
ifconfig wlan0 up
dhcpcd

If / when this script doesnt work unplug the network cable, wait 10 seconds, plug back in and run the script again.