Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Dec 2014, 12:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Wary Puppy 5.1.1 Final
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 7 of 12 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
Author Message
BarryK
Puppy Master


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 7100
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Sun 06 Mar 2011, 07:58    Post_subject:  

Shep wrote:
Until now I have been using the 5.1 CD + your zzz .pet. This has demanded hot booting.


Wary 5.1 already has zzz, the pet is not needed. On the otherhand, if you mean Lucid Puppy 5.1 then it does need the zzz pet.

_________________
http://bkhome.org/news/
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
gabe

Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Posts: 85
Location: Minnesota, USA

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar 2011, 00:50    Post_subject:  

This is on a fresh installation Wary 5.1.1 on my Inspiron 2400. It's slow as molasses. I didn't do anything except install vlc and firefox -- and I'm pretty sure this problem existed well before then, too.

"I'm running kernel 2.6.31.14" <-- How? [edit: from the blog post, I found this: http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/wary-5.1.1/alternate_isos/wary-511-k2.6.31.14-uniproc-ide.iso -- what's the IDE for? Is 2.6.31.14 useful for anything other than modem drivers? Is it lighter? Please advise!]

It's unusably slow, yet I'm barely using it enough to type this response. The text is lagging by up to 5 seconds after I type, the hard drive seems to be constantly swapping as well. This is one of the most common desktop systems in the world -- at least a few years ago. Inspiron 2400, 256MB RAM. The first [edit: it appears second] screenshot was a clean boot, the second [first on the post] is with one other program running (in addition to the terminal with top) -- firefox displaying only this simple forum. Typing this very response.

Any suggestions? Normal Puppy 5.11 and 5.2 fail utterly with a crash sometime after use -- I blamed the kernel. (memtest ran for hours without an error, as did XP).
myram-FF.png
 Description   This is with a single instance of FF with only 2 tabs open -- both of which are murga-linux puppy forums.
 Filesize   39.58 KB
 Viewed   2310 Time(s)

myram-FF.png

myram.png
 Description   This is on a fresh boot.
 Filesize   15.77 KB
 Viewed   2272 Time(s)

myram.png


Edited_times_total
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Billtoo


Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 2185
Location: Ontario Canada

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar 2011, 01:03    Post_subject: Wary Puppy 5.1.1 Final
Sub_title: X File Explorer
 

xfe-1.32.2-i686.pet (X File Explorer) is a filemanager similar to midnight
commander, it also needs fox-1.6.43-i686.pet installed or it won't run.
fox-1.6.43-i686.pet
Description 
pet

 Download 
Filename  fox-1.6.43-i686.pet 
Filesize  1.66 MB 
Downloaded  440 Time(s) 
xfe_NLS-1.32.2-i686.pet
Description 
pet

 Download 
Filename  xfe_NLS-1.32.2-i686.pet 
Filesize  359.39 KB 
Downloaded  461 Time(s) 
xfe-1.32.2-i686.pet
Description 
pet

 Download 
Filename  xfe-1.32.2-i686.pet 
Filesize  1.92 MB 
Downloaded  436 Time(s) 
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
gabe

Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Posts: 85
Location: Minnesota, USA

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar 2011, 01:09    Post_subject:  

The i810 driver is now being used and things seem just a tad better, but trying to "upgrade xorg" from the wizard leads me to install a package called "root" and it obviously fails. (To reproduce: Menu -> Setup -> Wizard Wizard [lol, the name itself is a bug] -> upgrade X drivers -> Xorg7.5).

So it looks like upgrading X is out of the question? And you say in the first post not to use XVesa? Just making sure. (Also, the new xorg could have been causing the random crashes in the past when I used normal puppy 5.11-5.2, so my "wariness" in this regard is justified, no?).

Edit: From the blog post, I found this: wary-511-k2.6.31.14-uniproc-ide.iso -- what does IDE stand for? Is 2.6.31.14 useful for anything other than modem drivers? Is it lighter? Would it for any reason be advisable on Intel 8xx hardware? Is there a pretty decent chance it could address the issue I've been having? Will it eat my pets and siblings alive? Please advise!
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
starhawk

Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 3210
Location: Everybody knows this is nowhere...

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar 2011, 03:29    Post_subject:  

Not 100% certain that this is a bug, but I get a very consistent kernel panic on Wary 511 on my hardware... it loads vmlinuz, unpacks init.gz... and splat. Says something about something not syncing correctly... but it sinks all right. Wouldn't say it's the right /type/ of sinking (syncing), but it /does/ sink!

Wary 500 works fine, but neither version (standard or uniproc) of Wary 511 seems to like my system.

System details:
HP Pavilion s7220n Slimline Desktop, Celeron M CPU @ 1.8GHz, 1GB of RAM, 200GB SATA HDD + IDE DVD Burner. Except for the RAM, everything is stock hardware.

-----

@Gabe: IDE, also called PATA, is the "bus" (wires and protocol) between, say, a hard drive and the mainboard of a computer. IDE has since been made obsolete by a new style of connecting things called SATA. In this case, however, it also refers to the driver-set that Puppy uses in order to communicate with a drive of /any/ kind (confusingly enough, this includes other buses, like SCSI and USB). The "ide" driver-set uses a different set of names for the drives that it sees.

In other words (or if you want to say tl;dr) -- it's something very technical that you probably don't need to worry about. BTW, uniproc is short for "single processor" (uni=one, like unicycle).

_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Sylvander

Joined: 15 Dec 2008
Posts: 3555
Location: West Lothian, Scotland, UK

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar 2011, 04:23    Post_subject:  

Version of Xfe with necessary FOX dependencies included.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
rodin.s

Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Posts: 338
Location: Ukraine

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar 2011, 13:37    Post_subject:  

gabe wrote:

Edit: From the blog post, I found this: wary-511-k2.6.31.14-uniproc-ide.iso -- what does IDE stand for? Is 2.6.31.14 useful for anything other than modem drivers? Is it lighter?

I use it on my old PC AMD K6-3D 333MHz and it works fine. And it seems like it works faster.
And there is also a version on k2.6.30 from Puppy-4.3.1 if other kernels won't help.
And I guess it's even faster with ext4-savefile.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Sylvander

Joined: 15 Dec 2008
Posts: 3555
Location: West Lothian, Scotland, UK

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar 2011, 15:55    Post_subject:  

"Integrated Drive Electronics" = IDE [or ATA-1]
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
rodin.s

Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Posts: 338
Location: Ukraine

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar 2011, 16:17    Post_subject: sfs-files  

sfs-files linked to mnt_sfs which is not in the system. Maybe it should be linked to filemnt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
BarryK
Puppy Master


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 7100
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar 2011, 21:39    Post_subject:  

gabe wrote:
"I'm running kernel 2.6.31.14" <-- How? [edit: from the blog post, I found this: http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/wary-5.1.1/alternate_isos/wary-511-k2.6.31.14-uniproc-ide.iso -- what's the IDE for? Is 2.6.31.14 useful for anything other than modem drivers? Is it lighter? Please advise!]


Well, you could have read the "readme" at the download site:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/wary-5.1.1/wary-511-readme.htm

I have no idea why you are getting 5 second delay. But anyway, why did you choose the older kernel? Did you first try the default 2.6.32.28 kernel? -- it also has most modem drivers.

_________________
http://bkhome.org/news/
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
Billtoo


Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 2185
Location: Ontario Canada

PostPosted: Tue 08 Mar 2011, 09:30    Post_subject: Wary Puppy 5.1.1 Final
Sub_title: lpairs game
 

lpairs-1.0.4-i686.pet is a memory game similar to concentration where you find matching pictures.
lpairs-1.0.4-i686.pet
Description 
pet

 Download 
Filename  lpairs-1.0.4-i686.pet 
Filesize  253.84 KB 
Downloaded  436 Time(s) 
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
rodin.s

Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Posts: 338
Location: Ukraine

PostPosted: Tue 08 Mar 2011, 17:09    Post_subject: mtpaint-snapshot  

One small thing: mtpaint-snapshot sometimes takes picture of the message. Maybe the gab should be bigger between message and snapshot. I put timeout 9 and sleep 13. (/usr/bin/mtpaintsnapshot.sh)
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
CatDude


Joined: 03 Jan 2007
Posts: 1497
Location: UK

PostPosted: Fri 11 Mar 2011, 16:38    Post_subject: Can't compile NVIDIA drivers  

Hi

I am trying to compile NVIDIA drivers without much success.

I am using: wary-511-k2.6.31.14-uniproc-ide.iso
with these files loaded:
    wary_devx_511.sfs
    kernel_src-2.6.31.14-patched.sfs

Is this the correct kernel sources for this particular wary,
or is there another file buried away somewhere. Question


I have tried the suggestion that Barry once offered,
that is, to exit to the prompt and issue the following commands:
Code:
cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.31.14
make prepare

then doing the usual:
Code:
cd /
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.28-pkg1.run


I have also tried doing it without the:
Code:
cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.31.14
make prepare


Everything appears to go well,
building the modules goes all the way to 100%
then it gives the following messages:

Code:
ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'.  This happens most
       frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or
       improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differs
       from the one used to build the target kernel, or if a driver such as
       rivafb, nvidiafb, or nouveau is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel
       module from obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA graphics device(s).
       
       Please see the log entries 'Kernel module load error' and 'Kernel
       messages' at the end of the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for
       more information.


followed by this:
Code:
ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file
       '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find suggestions
       on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux
       driver download page at www.nvidia.com.


Does anybody have any ideas Question

CatDude
.

_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
BarryK
Puppy Master


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 7100
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Fri 11 Mar 2011, 19:26    Post_subject: Re: Can't compile NVIDIA drivers  

CatDude wrote:
Hi

I am trying to compile NVIDIA drivers without much success.

I am using: wary-511-k2.6.31.14-uniproc-ide.iso
with these files loaded:
    wary_devx_511.sfs
    kernel_src-2.6.31.14-patched.sfs

Is this the correct kernel sources for this particular wary,
or is there another file buried away somewhere. Question


I have tried the suggestion that Barry once offered,
that is, to exit to the prompt and issue the following commands:
Code:
cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.31.14
make prepare

then doing the usual:
Code:
cd /
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.28-pkg1.run


I have also tried doing it without the:
Code:
cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.31.14
make prepare


Everything appears to go well,
building the modules goes all the way to 100%
then it gives the following messages:

Code:
ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'.  This happens most
       frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or
       improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differs
       from the one used to build the target kernel, or if a driver such as
       rivafb, nvidiafb, or nouveau is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel
       module from obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA graphics device(s).
       
       Please see the log entries 'Kernel module load error' and 'Kernel
       messages' at the end of the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for
       more information.


followed by this:
Code:
ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file
       '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find suggestions
       on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux
       driver download page at www.nvidia.com.


Does anybody have any ideas Question

CatDude
.


CatDude,
The problem is that the sfs file is for the smp compile of the 2.6.31.14 kernel, not the uniproc-ide.

So, 'make prepare' was run with the wrong .config file.

You will need to get the correct .config file -- it should be at /etc/modules -- copy that to /usr/src/linux-2.6.31.14 and rename it to .config.

Then:

# cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.31.14
# make clean
# make prepare

_________________
http://bkhome.org/news/
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
shinobar


Joined: 28 May 2009
Posts: 2631
Location: Japan

PostPosted: Fri 11 Mar 2011, 21:48    Post_subject: Insert key kills Seamonkey  

Hi, Barry.
Are you going to recompile the gtk+?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65675

_________________
Google Chrome portable
Downloads for Puppy Linux http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 7 of 12 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1177s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0168s) ][ GZIP on ]