There are requests for a new PuppyBrowser

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
playdayz

There are requests for a new PuppyBrowser

#1 Post by playdayz »

There are requests for a new PuppyBrowser. The last one was, i think, in Lucid 5.0--it was a gtkmoz interface to the gecko in Seamonkey 1.1.18. Now, it would have to be a xulrunner app, but that would use the latest gecko. I think it could also be done with webkit. I believe both xulrunner and webkit have "sample" simple browsers available that could be customized.

Makoto

#2 Post by Makoto »

As long as it's relatively self-contained - one of the reasons I haven't updated my Seamonkey 1 setup in 4.3.1 to SM2 is because it'll break PuppyBrowser, for example. :(

It'd probably be a good idea to use Webkit, anyway - there's less possibility of something being broken or deprecated, AFAIK.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

aragon

#3 Post by aragon »

Pladayz,

Plaese look for a browser called xxxterm... It's webkit-gtk based and light.

Aragon

jemimah

#4 Post by jemimah »

If you go with webkit, there's no reason not to use Midori. Midori itself is only a few hundred KB. The problem is that webkit-gtk is still on the buggy side - the latest development release seems pretty decent though. I'm not done testing it yet.

Makoto

#5 Post by Makoto »

Well, in my case, I use PuppyBrowser as a simple and quick HTML viewer for saved webpages. I don't need it to be completely accurate, but it should probably at least support Javascript, and maybe an offline/online mode that wouldn't affect any other system or (other) browser/software settings. Would Midori work for that?
(The offline/online mode isn't a necessity. It'd be nice, as one of the sites I save pages from likes to inexplicably take forever to load when I open them in PuppyBrowser (waiting for a specific server or two, for some reason).)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

aragon

#6 Post by aragon »

jemimah wrote:If you go with webkit, there's no reason not to use Midori. Midori itself is only a few hundred KB. The problem is that webkit-gtk is still on the buggy side - the latest development release seems pretty decent though. I'm not done testing it yet.
you're right, midori itself is only about 0,5 mb.

aragon

technosaurus

#7 Post by technosaurus »

If webkitgtk is used, there is an extremely hackable webkitgtk + gtkbuilder browser here:
http://www.gtkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=3057

The xml file could be copied and edited for bareview and simple browsing etc...

And many other small browsers and vala examples etc... claws email client and other apps have webkit plugins too. Gecko seems to be dieing a slow death.

Midori's dev just made a simple mail client
twotoasts.de/index.php?/archives/39-Rea ... ction.html[/url]
Last edited by technosaurus on Tue 15 Mar 2011, 23:01, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

harii4

#8 Post by harii4 »

Looks nice enough for an .pet :lol: :lol: :lol:
3.01 Fat Free / Fire Hydrant featherweight/ TXZ_pup / 431JP2012
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peace and Justice are two sides of the same coin.

aragon

#9 Post by aragon »

harii4 wrote:
Looks nice enough for an .pet :lol: :lol: :lol:
yes, correct, but not from me ... i haven't had much luck with webkit-gtk-things ... for such things i do like my arch-install very, very much ... fast, simple, good package-management...

aragon

muggins

#10 Post by muggins »

This looks interesting:

gnocl::webKit.