GUI to download LibreOffice - beta quality

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
01micko

GUI to download LibreOffice - beta quality

#1 Post by 01micko »

This app downloads LibreOffice latest stable version, plus localised help and locale files (optional) based on your locale settings, then combines them into an sfs with the language code in the name of the sfs, then offers to install either with sfs_load (shinobar) sfs_installation (me) [both handle full installs well] or bootmanager (puppy generic), if neither of the others are installed. The script supports localisation with gettext, es and de included.

It will get the help and locale files based on your locale settings.

Works in frugal install to HDD and Full install to HDD, NEW: support for USB if you have large RAM.

0.19 may fail in Lupu* hopefully fixed in 0.20

All bug reports MUST contain a log, located at /tmp/LO_$(date)

WARNING for v0.19 and onwards

Be aware that if your RAM is near full (ie: lots of apps open or sfs loaded) you may experience RAM crash and lose open work or corrupt open documents. You have been warned.

==========================================================

Changelog

version 0.40
* adds updates from shinobar, L18L, rerwin et-al
* new icons
* minor code clean-up
* bugfix - don't put defaults in /usr/bin - but offer an option at the end to set libreoffice programs as defaults - thanks to zigbert
* bugfix - beta version wasn't working
* NOT tested in older puppies

version 0.29
* bugfix for FULL installs

version 0.28
* the default* files were hard coded to the running system, now part of sfs

version 0.27
* added yes/no box to give a choice if you want to construct in RAM, thanks Henry. Note, no choice if it's a USB install or low RAM. Translators, there is a few more lines to fix up now.

version 0.26
* improved RAM check function

version 0.25
*IMPORTANT* I removed gtkdialog-splash from the package. No big deal unless you have an old lupu or 4.3.1. Look here if you find you aren't getting coloured splash messages. I think this applies to FatDog and Slackbones too. Run

Code: Select all

which gtkdialog-splash
to check. If no output then you better grab it!
* fix for pupmode 7
* minor code cleanup

version 0.24
* fix for 64 bit
* add some logging, saved to /tmp/LO_log_"the date and time here"

version 0.23
* fix for printeradmin
* fix RAM install (again)

version 0.22
* fix for new libreoffice-4.0
* fix RAM install (needs testing)
* updated spanish locale, thanks vicmz

version 0.21
*fix FatDog bug
*support q5sys' new puplet "SlackBones", however it doesn't install with a pet. See here for link to txz package.

version 0.20
*suppress "defaultpresentation" error in pinstall.sh -thanks tlchost
*hopefully fix "free" bug for lupu (report needed)
*bugfix for wary, it can't use xz compression, though it can produce it, thanks watchdog
*bugfix for bootmanager if sfs_load is not present
*append xz or gz to filename

version 0.19 (v0.18 was never released officially)
*bug fixes for the ridiculous Unity .desktop entries in 3.6.2
*now builds in /tmp by default if you have enough RAM.
*support USB installs depending on RAM
***For USB: RECOMMENDED to have at least 2 gig but will work with 1 GB RAM and 1 GB swap

version 0.17 (v0.16 was never released officially, see page 9)
*bugfix testing versions (whew! That was involved!LibO 3.6 beta is out and working :) , also 3.5.5RC)
*bugfix setting langpack/helppack/install vars (pemasu)
*bugfix downloading data for the grokking of info
*better support for fatdog
*added a test for xz compression and use it if available
*numerous little tweaks for little errors in building
*tested all downloadable versions in Slacko(xz), FatDog(xz) and old spup-100(gz) (compression in brackets)

*this app is much more soft coded now, should ensure better
longevity, however it will never leave Beta status because web
pages are dynamic, always changing, as is LibreOffice it's self.

version 0.15 (skipped 0.14)
*bugfix printer admin (playdayz)
*bugfix sizecheck
*add ROX integration, mime etc, (playdayz) you must run pinstall.sh manually to update defaults

version 0.13
*gui fix to get libre-3.5, logic fix

version 0.12
*full install sizecheck bugfix, Jim1911 and zulhilmi

version 0.11
*de translation added and bugfix thanks L18L

version 0.10
*bugfix for en-US, checkbox bug, ensure the second checkbox is disabled and unchecked if LANG=en_US*

version 0.9
*fixed a bug with adding extra lang/help packs, thanks to roadkill13, also added "_Extra" if you do that to the name of the sfs
*updated the DOTpot file, but not my feeble Spanish translation!

version 0.8
*added support for 64 bit pups, tested in Fatdog64, should work in Lighthouse64

version 0.7
*fixed desktop files for newer versions of Libreoffice

version 0.6
*added better checking if libreoffice servers are busy
*added check to see if "testing" version exists

version 0.5
*added ability to get extra locales if you want (Jim1911)
*added ability to get the latest testing version (Musher0)
*libre server changed format slightly **older versions of this program wont work *** :roll: :?

version 0.4.1
*bugfix detecting if libre or open office is installed

version 0.4
*more code cleanup
*fixed bugs with pupmode 5, 7, 13, 77 where app should abort with error message
*added code to detect if LibreOffice or Openoffice is installed and aborts advising user to uninstall
*updated DOTpot file.

version-0.3
*updated gtkdialog-splash to accept other icons (including .gif)
*code cleanup
*opens bootmanager if other sfs loaders are not present

version-0.2
*fixed sfs_installation.sh bug (Lobstar)
*fixed cleanup bug (Lobster)
*fixed icon bug, which dramatically reduced pet size
*improved naming of the sfs, eg, any Spanish locale it will only be named es, not adding the country code
*hopefully aborts installation if on a usb or pfix=ram install

============================================================
Attachments
get_libreoffice-0.40.pet
latest
(17.14 KiB) Downloaded 1648 times
get_libreoffice-0.29.pet
(26.95 KiB) Downloaded 5022 times
get_libreoffice-0.28.pet
(26.74 KiB) Downloaded 2532 times
get_libreoffice-0.27.pet
(26.73 KiB) Downloaded 1791 times
get_libreoffice-0.21.pet
(28.05 KiB) Downloaded 3677 times
get_libreoffice-0.20.pet
(27.97 KiB) Downloaded 1856 times
get_libreoffice-0.19.pet
(27.8 KiB) Downloaded 2263 times
get_libreoffice-0.17.pet
(27.32 KiB) Downloaded 2371 times
get_libre.png
(29.42 KiB) Downloaded 29289 times
Last edited by 01micko on Tue 14 Jun 2016, 06:52, edited 31 times in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

It installed to
menu / document / document publishing
and somehow knew I wanted the GB_en version. Does it pick this up?

It seems to have created an SFS
No dialogue box? (I will give it a minute and reboot)

It does not delete the
/mnt/home/libre_download
directory created?

Very cool
About the 5.2.1 feature freeze [ahem] surely this is essential? :roll:

OK have run boot manager and have English locale/dictionary installed with latest Libreoffice.

Works for me :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#3 Post by 01micko »

Thanks for testing Lobster :)

Hmmm.. the /mnt/home/libre_download dir should have been deleted, that will be fixed. I tried it on 3 machines of varying ages and it worked ok.

There should have been a dilaog at the end, the bug may be in the sfs_installation script, I'll look into that too.

As far as feature freeze goes, this app is too experimental for a default app (that's why it's in "cutting edge" and not the "additional software" section), even for PPM. It needs heavy testing and bug fixing and also some more insurance, such as, it needs to stop users trying it on a usb install, it's painful! Although if a user had planty of RAM then the conversion could be done in RAM, it would need about a gig of free RAM, so a system would need at least 1.5 gig of RAM to do do it comfortably.

The good thing about this app is that if it can be developed to a stable stage then we never have to host libreoffice again :) , and it will be localised automatically.

Cheers

New version out, thanks to Lobster's bug reports, see top post

vovchik

gtkdialog-splash

#4 Post by vovchik »

Dear 01micko,

Almost unnoticed in your libreoffice utility is the nice change you made to gtkdialog-splash. I have included a little example with an animated gif. In fact, the gtkdialog-splash utility can accept much larger gifs than 48x48, as I demonstrate in the attachment. Well done.

With thanks and kind regards,
vovchik
Attachments
gtksplash.tar.gz
(22.68 KiB) Downloaded 2119 times
gtkdialog-splash.jpg
(12.98 KiB) Downloaded 28862 times

01micko

#5 Post by 01micko »

Hello vovchik,

Glad you like the new implementation in gtkdialog-splash. I have posted it separately for further discussion ..
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 513#505513.
I also adjusted the comment at the top of the script.

Any comments on the libre code? :)

Cheers!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

Thanks Mick

Just installed in a pristine Luci-256
this time I installed a java sfs I had laying about - (so it does not ask me)
also this time I installed the help files
Everything went fine and I rebooted and ran and checked out the help . . .

Like the new waiting (hour glass) thingee . . whilst creating the SFS.
Did you implement this with a gif?
In general usage when such a gif is running
the program may have crashed (not doing anything) but the gif keeps running
giving the impression everything is fine? Unless there are two gifs?

Puppy Linux
Free your mind. Free your office. Desktop clutter optional.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#7 Post by 01micko »

Yes Lobster, I added the gif "throbber" as it can take a long time to make a large sfs file especially on older gear. A progress bar could be an alternative but I think this is ok and hogs less resources. I could also display a coloured terminal to show the progress, similar to the download windows. May even do that. in the future. 8)

Version 0.4 is posted , some bug fixing and general UI improvements.

0.4.1 is up, minor bugfix

Jim1911

#8 Post by Jim1911 »

Mick,

Tested on luci-256. Now, you've done it, works great, there is no need for me to prepare and upload LibreOffice.sfs to playdayz anymore. :roll: Great job, you may want to go ahead and put it in Quickpet.:D

One problem, I get a message that I already have the maximum number of sfs files loaded, although I have only 3 loaded and it refuses to load the sfs. Bootmanager still allows it to load. I also got the same message trying to get the devx file using Quickpet so this may be a problem with luci-256.

Your auto detection of language is great, however, how do I download another language in case I wanted a second language that isn't the computer default?

Consider preparing another utility that allows any downloaded deb file to be converted to an sfs? Gotta keep you busy. :P

Thanks for another fine utility, :D
Jim

rhadon

#9 Post by rhadon »

Hi Mick,

today your pet worked fine without any Problem for me. :D

Yesterday I tried for several hours, no go.

The first download windows disappeared too fast to read something.

Then a message like "Download of LibreOffice..._de.sfs failed" and the last open message was "Now creating LibreOffice-3.31_de.sfs" with a turning circle (showing that someting should work).

After 2 hours ( :lol: ) I decided that maybe something was going wrong. :shock: :lol:

trying to download the files manually (adress from /temp/get_language_pack or similar) gave me error 404.

One or two times I also got a message like too many sfs files installed (at this time I've had installed 4 ones). Edit: OK, in the meantime I've read your answer in the main lucid thread :oops:

Today I've had installed only one sfs and Libre Office installed without any error message.

It's a great idea always to get the newest LibreOffice and building and installing a sfs. I appreciate it very much. Thank you.

Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

01micko

#10 Post by 01micko »

Hi Jim and Rolf, thanks for testing,

I see you both came across the bug in the sfs_installation script. It only affects luci/lupu/spup with this script. I will post a patch in the top message.

Jim, about adding options to add locales. I'll get the base stable first then will implement that.

Rolf, I wonder what went wrong with the de variable? if possible could you post the contents of that /tmp/getlibre_lang file please?

Did you end up with a localised sfs in the on the last attempt?

I am thinking to put in a 'download failed, try again later' message if any part fails.

I am definitely considering running the sfs construction in an open terminal like the downloads.. it gives a perfectly clear picture of progress. This will be advantageous on slower gear. It takes over 10 minutes on my oldish athlon with 512M RAM, and I tried on my P3 but it seems I have a hard disk problem on that machine. I had tons of errors and bad blocks running 'fsck' :shock: :( .

Cheers, Mick

rhadon

#11 Post by rhadon »

01micko wrote:Did you end up with a localised sfs in the on the last attempt?
Yesterday: No
Today: Yes. As I wrote, today everything worked fine, I got a ...de.sfs, it installed automatically and I have german localisation and german help files.

the content of that /tmp/getlibre_lang file:

Code: Select all

rxvt -background lightblue -title "Locale files" -geometry 80x10  -e wget -t0 --waitretry=5 -4 -P /initrd/mnt/dev_save/libre_download -c http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/stable/3.3.1/deb/x86/LibO_3.3.1_Linux_x86_langpack-deb_de.tar.gz
I copied this from the history of my console. The appropriate files in the /tmp folder are erased. Yesterday I tried to download it manually from console and with browser. Always Error 404.

I think the server was down yesterday or the files were missed. Not a fault of your script.
I am thinking to put in a 'download failed, try again later' message if any part fails.
I think that's a good idea :D

HTH

Rolf

Edit: the problem yesterday was not a problem of my internet connection. :wink:
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

musher0

#12 Post by musher0 »

Hi, 01micko.

This has to be great: good programmer, good feedback! :D

But oops. The contrast is so light between the bg and the fg, I can't know what I'm doing... (See the 2 pics below. The 2nd panel went too fast to do a capture.) What happened to the straight B&W console? :)

In any case, I just blindly pressed any key, with the end result that the script announces that a SFS has been created, but of course there's nothing to add to the sfs start-up panel.

Sorry for this (hopefully constructive) bucket of ice water on the project... :)

In parallel, I had been doing some exploring of my own on LO.

There's a discussion on the French side about LibreOffice 3.3.1 being less perfect than its OO counterpart, especially when it comes to saving in Word format(s) and loading PowerPoints.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 376#505376

That observation led me to write an instructions list on how to download manually LO 3.3.2rc2. It's here:http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 406#505406

Even if you don't read French fluently, I know you're interested in languages, and there's lots of url's, so you should be able to make out the general meaning.

This is not me tooting my horn, BTW. I just thought you might be interested in knowing 1) there's a bug, and 2) what's going on elsewhere on this forum on a related subject.

It might give people ideas... or not! If the translation of one of those posts would be useful in a corresponding post on the anglo side, just ask.

TWYL. (Talk with you later.)
Attachments
capture3.jpg
(23.55 KiB) Downloaded 27927 times
capture1.png
(13.99 KiB) Downloaded 27798 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

wuwei

#13 Post by wuwei »

This is great micko, really great.

I tried it tonight and it worked like a charm. Sorry to read that Rolf had these problems, but I can attest to it that it as nothing to do with the German localisation.
Also musher's white fonts did not appear on my system, I saw black on colored background as it should be.

Since I started a thread about Libre Office on the German forum I have allowed myself to link to your thread here. If you read some German, this is my thread
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 255#499255

Needed to update it three times already. You guys are so fast... :D

musher0

#14 Post by musher0 »

Ok. tried it under wary 0.7 rather than mywolfe 0.08. On this derivative the foreground text was visible. Depends on how your bash is configured, I suppose. Under wary 0.7, I was up and running in LO in about 6-7 min.,

As someone mentioned above, the java sfs should be there first, preferably.

Also watch out for the /root/.config/.libreoffice directory. In time, it can grow pretty big, As a preventive measure, you may want to move it to /mnt/home/.libreoffice and link it back to /root/.config/.libreoffice.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

01micko

#15 Post by 01micko »

musher0, wuwei

Thanks for testing and reports.

The white fonts must have been because of the bashrc. I will put in a "fg" argument to force the issue :wink: .

Ok, I see that (from a brief look at your thread Christian) that there are issues with LO-331 and and that LO-332rc is better. Well hopefully 332 will be the latest stable for LO very soon and hopefully too this program, when it is run, will detect the version number difference. Well as long as the Libre server structure stays the same then this program should do just that!

There is a need for some more error checking at each stage of download, and of course at successful creation of the sfs. That will be implemented. I thinks rhadon's issue was just a server issue..

Thanks!

Cheers

Jim1911

#16 Post by Jim1911 »

01micko wrote:Ok, I see that (from a brief look at your thread Christian) that there are issues with LO-331 and and that LO-332rc is better. Well hopefully 332 will be the latest stable for LO very soon and hopefully too this program, when it is run, will detect the version number difference. Well as long as the Libre server structure stays the same then this program should do just that!
How about adding an option to download libreoffice beta's or rc? Also, you can tackle OpenOffice so I won't need to upload that to playdayz anymore? :lol:

Regards,
Jim

01micko

#17 Post by 01micko »

possibility of extra locales --- done!
possibility of latest testing version --- done!

Open office? Maybe. Maybe not.

Cheers!

wuwei

#18 Post by wuwei »

Gee whizz micko,

you are outdoing yourself.
Can't keep up with you on the German side, but trying to,... :wink:

Jim1911

#19 Post by Jim1911 »

My, you are super fast. :D Interface is great, but I haven't been able to download the testing version, apparently their download site is getting a lot of traffic.

EDIT: 03/23/11, 1440 Still unsuccessful for the testing version, get "Failed to download Please try again later" message. I managed to snap picts of the download screens as they flashed by.

EDIT 2: Disregard above. The stable version doesn't download either, I went to the libreoffice site and discovered that they now offer LibreOffice 3.3.2 Final (2011-03-22) so there probably isn't a testing version available now. Because of the new release, the site probably has heavy traffic.

Cheers, :D
Jim

01micko

#20 Post by 01micko »

EDIT 2: Disregard above. The stable version doesn't download either, I went to the libreoffice site and discovered that they now offer LibreOffice 3.3.2 Final (2011-03-22) so there probably isn't a testing version available now. Because of the new release, the site probably has heavy traffic.
Thanks Jim,

Ok, looks like you trapped the libre site in their transitional period. Good news is that I just got the 'stable' version as 3.3.2 :D .. so that part of the code works. Now.. how to compare whether the latest stable is not the same as testing? Hmmm... a bit more difficult as I just checked and listed as 'testing' is 3.3.2rc2 :? . (now defunct). Well I guess this app may be a little premature, but in saying that, the libre guys probably haven't figured out their structure yet, so in that respect they are probably a bit immature.

I have been looking for the WM's (webmaster's) address to see if I can communicate with him/her/them but nothing found. (They may be a bit suspicious of all the hits they've been getting from my IP addy over the past week or so :shock: ).

Thanks for testing and if you come across any peculiarities let me know.

Cheers