Notecase outliner

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
mcewanw

notecase links to webpages not working?

#21 Post by mcewanw »

I do have a major problem with notecase though (on Puppy 2.17.1). I may just be missing some step out though, however I can't find the answer.
Links I make to external webpages don't seem to work. When I right click on text I want to make into a link to a url the Link Wizard pops up and I enter the target url. Then the text appears blue and underlined in notecase. However, when I click on the link (or double-click), nothing happens. I expected it to open up the webpage in the default browser as Keynote outliner does in Windows. Is this a bug?

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: notecase links to webpages not working?

#22 Post by BarryK »

mcewanw wrote:I do have a major problem with notecase though (on Puppy 2.17.1). I may just be missing some step out though, however I can't find the answer.
Links I make to external webpages don't seem to work. When I right click on text I want to make into a link to a url the Link Wizard pops up and I enter the target url. Then the text appears blue and underlined in notecase. However, when I click on the link (or double-click), nothing happens. I expected it to open up the webpage in the default browser as Keynote outliner does in Windows. Is this a bug?
I reported this to the author and he has fixed it. I think the fix is in the version I'm using now, but I haven't checked. I advised him to automatically read the mime info from /etc/mailcap and /etc/mime.types, so all kinds of files can be handled, not just URLs.

seaside

Re: notecase links to webpages not working?

#23 Post by seaside »

BarryK wrote:
mcewanw wrote:I do have a major problem with notecase though (on Puppy 2.17.1). I may just be missing some step out though, however I can't find the answer.
I reported this to the author and he has fixed it. I think the fix is in the version I'm using now, but I haven't checked. I advised him to automatically read the mime info from /etc/mailcap and /etc/mime.types, so all kinds of files can be handled, not just URLs.
I have the same URL link problem with Puppy 3.01 and Notecase version 1.6.9. I tried using the links in the Pclinuxos Notecase (even earlier version) and they seemed to work.

The binaries from Pclinux do not work for puppy because of too many Gnome library dependencies.

Does anyone have a puppy 3.01 version of Notecase with working URL links?

magerlab

#24 Post by magerlab »

Tiddly wiki is very interesting
i uses only one html file for everything

we added tiddly wiki to russian puppy
and included some issues from help and howtos inside

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#25 Post by Béèm »

I have the same problem in 3.01 and 1.69
It seems that the http:// link isn't paste to the browser.
However the same ncd document used with ncd in Windows does work correctly.
The link is opened in the browser.

But if I give the link URL and add, f.e., /index.html to it, then the web page is opened.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#26 Post by BarryK »

We need to grab the latest NoteCase, v1.6.9 is not the latest, and the homepage says there are bugfixes.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

hayden

NoteCase on Windows and file format

#27 Post by hayden »

I like having a cross-platform outliner but NoteCase takes up 22Mb on Windows! (TreePad is about 1Mb.) The most powerful outliner of all may have been KAMAS for CP/M which fit on a floppy and ran in 64k of RAM. I would love to see that ported to Linux! (There was a lite version for DOS.)

I tried opening a NoteCase file with Firefox and it came up looking pretty much like the HTML export. This is a BIG DEAL to me as I do NOT want yet another program-specific file format on my computer. Now I know I will not lose the data in my files if NoteCase blows up.

hayden

Norecase links and OOo

#28 Post by hayden »

Since my last post I have opened a Notecase ncd file in Open Office with no trouble. (I think someone asked about that but I can't find it now.) As Barry says, it is SGML (in plain text) inside so you could open it in Notepad :roll: That might be safer as if you want to bring it back into Notecase you will have to avoid breaking the SGML. If you just want to spruce it up for printing it might be better to export it as HTML and tweak it in Composer (what I do).

Problems with links not working have been reported on the Internet and are supposedly fixed in the most recent version.

myke

Re: NoteCase on Windows and file format

#29 Post by myke »

hayden wrote:(...) The most powerful outliner of all may have been KAMAS for CP/M which fit on a floppy and ran in 64k of RAM. I would love to see that ported to Linux! (There was a lite version for DOS.)(..).
I second that. I am running KAMAS in dosbox. Back in the '80S I had an entire database with ecological articles and used it as an outliner when starting to write long documents.

Today, I have a database keeping track of a search for a GP in my neighbourhood as well as a place to store outlines for documents.

myke
AA1 D255E-keucr slacko 5.3;luci;mijnpup; tw-os; with:Emacs,gawk,noteboxmismanager,treesheets, freeplane, libreoffice, tkoutline, Sigil, calibre, calendar. magic&Noteliner(wine), kamas (DOS)