Puppy CD won't boot

Booting, installing, newbie
Aberto

Puppy CD won't boot

#1 Post by Aberto »

Hello! I downloaded, checked by md5summer, burned and verified the writing
of an ISO image of Puppy 1.0.3, then I changed the boot sequence in BIOS just to boot by CDRom first, but something wrong must be in my BIOS as that sequence was ignored and the system always booted by C: where is Windows 98 SE. The same happened with a Knoppix live CD I had previously which I could boot either by CDROM or by floppy disk just changing the boot sequence. Now even with it I have to boot by floppy first. As I am a beginner in such things I will be grateful if somebody can help me in solving this problem, and also, I'd like to know if there is a way to prepare a Puppy boot by floppy disk which is, for now, the only way I can follow to start another O.S.
Thanks a lot in advance,
Alberto

#2 Post by Guest »

What are the specs on your machine ?

Is it a name brand ie Dell, Acer, Compaq, IBM ?

Are you using modern hardware or older hardware ?

What is the version of your bios, are they any updates available for it ?

After you change the boot sequence are you saving it ?

If you change the sequence and exit the bios utility and shutdown and power on are the savings as you left them or have they gone back to something else ?

Is the cdrom on the same physical lead as the hard disk ?

If you have 2 ide connectors on the motherboard are you able to put the cdrom on the 2nd connector by itself ?

Have you been able to boot any other cdroms ?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Are you sure you burned the CD as bootable? What burning software did you use, and what settings? If the iso was properly burned as a bootable CD, you will see several files on the CD when you look at it in Windows, not just the .iso file.

danleff

#4 Post by danleff »

If Flash is correct, and you just have the iso file on the cd, you did not burn the file as image. This needs to be done to make the disk bootable.

The wiki page has a couple of articles on this;

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/CreatingAnImageOnCD

and...

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/BurningLinuxIsoBasics
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

ezeze5000

ISO burning

#5 Post by ezeze5000 »

If you are using windows, I have better luck burning iso images if I slow the burner down a notch or two.

Roxio works well except for multisession disks.

I haven't tried Nero.

Follow the wiki instructions closely and Gcombust works very well.

I hope this helps :)

Rich

#6 Post by Rich »

Nero works fine for me, and has an option to burn as bootable for making the live cd. Ezeze5000 makes a good point about speed, always burn the image on the slowest speed available

danleff

#7 Post by danleff »

Yes, if you are burning the new version, 2X works good. If you are using a cdrw disk, i found 1X is better. Puppy is small enough to do this in a reasonable amount of time.

...and make sure that you choose burn an image, not as a data disk.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith