New 1.0.9CE Clarification - Multisession?? Future of CE??

Booting, installing, newbie
mightymidget

New 1.0.9CE Clarification - Multisession?? Future of CE??

#1 Post by mightymidget »

Hi all,

I've been downloading and using all the released versions of Puppy for about a year now. I noticed that version 1.0.9 is a full community release rather than the normal 'Barry' release.

I must admit I don't follow news much other than through Distrowatch. Please could a mod or other knowledgeable body quickly explain if the CE releases will now be the norm, or if this is just a temporary stop gap whilst Barry works on the stable version 2x release. Does Barry fully endorse the CE version as the release announcement on his Puppy news page doesn't seem like a normal release announcement like it was with 1.0.8.

Also is there a Multi-session 1.0.9 CE release? Previously I use 1.0.8r1 Multi-session with a DVD-r and found it amazing.

Look forward to your replies. Cheers MM (Andy).

Ted Dog

additional links

#2 Post by Ted Dog »

The site http://puppylinux.net has the multisession version, and the developer squashfile.

mightymidget

Re: additional links

#3 Post by mightymidget »

Ted Dog wrote:The site http://puppylinux.net has the multisession version, and the developer squashfile.
Thanks for the link Ted Dog. Is this an official release? There doesn

MU

#4 Post by MU »

Why Puppy109?
http://forum.puppylinux.net/viewtopic.php?t=15

You can get the Isos with md5sum here, too:
http://dotpups.de/puppy-releases/1.0.9-CE/
Mark

raffy

Pre-announced

#5 Post by raffy »

Official releases may also be called pre-announced, meaning someone (usually Barry) announces in advance the next release. In the case of 1.09CE, Barry has supported it from the start, so the community, working together, announced its development and release.

With 1.09CE released, the community resumes support for Puppy2.

Trying community releases must be good for molding leadership from the ranks, in both the main project as well as the sub-projects. Many people will agree that Puppy is not only a distro, it is also a community happy to grow wonder pups. :wink:

Please see also these threads: 1 and 2.

mightymidget

#6 Post by mightymidget »

Thanks Raffy & Mu. Certainly helps me understand this confusing transition stage a little clearer.

To sum up then from the threads Raffy supplied:
It seems that the community will develop the 1x branch, hence the 109CE release and possible 110CE future release. These releases will now bare the CE title. Whilst Barry will concentrate on the 2x branch until stable. Then possibly make way for a 2x-CE continuation of his work. All branches are endorsed and overseen by Barry as Project leader.

Is that right?

MU

#7 Post by MU »

Almost right, just Barry is not Project leader.
The Project-leader is voted by the community in IRC-meetings (chat).

Leader of 109 is Nathan Fisher, but as it is timeconsuming, he asked to use someone else for 110.

But there is a lot of communication with Barry, as we want to see CE as an enhancement of Barrys Puppy, not as a complete new Distro like Grafpup (which adresses to artists).
So it is important, not to turn it into a "game-puppy" or "artists-puppy".
It adresses to users, that used "Barrys Puppy" in the past, and want only some improvements like better menu-handling without altering the whole concept.

Mark

mightymidget

#8 Post by mightymidget »

Thanks Guys. Certainly put my mind at rest. 109 certainly proves that Puppy will live forever no mater what the future holds.
Keep up the good work. MM.