Unicode font support

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
journeyer

Unicode font support

#1 Post by journeyer »

Hi All,

What would it take to add support for rendering complex unicode fonts (devanagari) in puppy linux ? If someone could give me some pointers about this, I can work on this.

I think this will involve adding new truetype unicode fonts (e.g. Mangal which is included in newer versions of windows). New versions of ubuntu support the devanagari fonts out of the box, so there has got to be "free" font available which can be included. This could be something that we can probably handle with a SFS or a pet package for supporting indian languages (Hindi, Marathi, Sanskrit).

Thanks!

musher0

Re: Unicode font support

#2 Post by musher0 »

journeyer wrote:Hi All,

What would it take to add support for rendering complex unicode fonts (devanagari) in puppy linux ? If someone could give me some pointers about this, I can work on this.

I think this will involve adding new truetype unicode fonts (e.g. Mangal which is included in newer versions of windows). New versions of ubuntu support the devanagari fonts out of the box, so there has got to be "free" font available which can be included. This could be something that we can probably handle with a SFS or a pet package for supporting indian languages (Hindi, Marathi, Sanskrit).

Thanks!
Hello, journeyer,

The person to ask on this forum is shinobar. He has produced recently a multinational wary 5.0 with support for complex languages including Korean and Japanese. But, being Japanese, he might have more pressing things to attend to at the moment.....

You may check out if your language is covered by downloading his work on wary 5.

Doing a seach on this board with "wary" as subject and "shinobar" as author of the message should get you there in a wink.

Best regards,
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

journeyer

Thanks!

#3 Post by journeyer »

Thanks musher0! That search opened a treasure chest. I will check those links out.

For now I would be happy with just having the fonts rendered correctly when browsing. But the idea of complete OS & applications as originated by shinobar is awesome!

Thanks!

musher0

#4 Post by musher0 »

"A treasure chest", eh? That's great!

I'm :D that I could be of help! :)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Dougal

Re: Thanks!

#5 Post by Dougal »

journeyer wrote:For now I would be happy with just having the fonts rendered correctly when browsing.
Isn't that just a matter of installing the relevant font and configuring the browser to use it (or not even that -- it might automatically use it when needed)?
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

journeyer

Just adding fonts helped

#6 Post by journeyer »

This is an update. Just adding the fonts that supported the characters in the given range seems to work for firefox. Chromium renders them somewhat strangely however!