Frisbee Network Manager - Beta 2

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
jemimah

#21 Post by jemimah »

chrismt wrote::? There is no option to disconnect from a particular network and connect to another

Can you add it?
What you're supposed to do is set priorities for each network, so if one goes down you automatically get the next one on the list. However, it seems that no matter what, wpa_supplicant prioritizes secure networks higher than insecure ones. I may check how difficult it would be to patch it to not do that.

The quick fix is to just disable the networks you don't want and re-enable them when you do want them.

ilanrab

#22 Post by ilanrab »

playdayz wrote:I made a one-click Pet for Lucid 5.2 that contains frisbee, dhcpcd, xpupsay, and the wpa-supplicant--everything needed .... entered the password ... and everything just worked.
Thanks jemimah.
Yes. It is just that simple. Nice work guys. :lol:
The auto-detect and connect feature works real good, and the way the
settings are arranged is a real plus.

I move my USB flash (puppy 520) between a Dell desktop, netbook, and laptop constantly (each has a different set of wireless H/W components). Frisbee will now save me the time of having to select the wireless router, and enter the password, each time that I move this USB flash drive from one computer to the others (and reboot, of course).

Thank you,
ir
[b]ir[/b]

jemimah

#23 Post by jemimah »

Updated to Beta 2.

Edit: I messed up a file in the Frisbee-beta2 pet so if you grabbed in in the past hour, you'll want to get it again.

chrismt

#24 Post by chrismt »

Connect and Disconnect buttons like in Pwireless would be great.

jemimah

#25 Post by jemimah »

Connect/Disconnect is still there, it's just a checkbox now that says "Enable Wireless Networking". The applet also allows you to connect and disconnect wireless.

jamesbond

#26 Post by jamesbond »

Ah, I'm a bit late to the game. I'm using beta-1 on Fatdog too ... it works fine on my laptop with intel wireless, but I have a little problem with another one that runs wl (doesn't it sound familiar sigh closed-source drivers :? )
Connection everything works fine, it persists across reboots, but dhcp doesn't start automatically (ie I've got no IP).. If I run dhcpcd manually then everything seems to work. Let me know if want to pursue this. Since Frisbee is started at reboot time, how do I debug? Any log file of some sort?
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

jemimah

#27 Post by jemimah »

Yes there's a rather large "View DHCP Log" button on the Configure Network Interfaces tab. ;)

The question is whether the Frisbee startup script in /etc/init.d is not starting it or whether dhcpcd is not properly detecting when the interface comes up.

playdayz

#28 Post by playdayz »

Here is Frisbee-beta-2-lucid52 for Lucid 5.2. It is one package--everything included. I uninstalled beta 1 then installed beta 2. I had to redo the profile for my wireless.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ucid52.pet

kirk

#29 Post by kirk »

I made a pet package for Fatdog64, it contains:

Frisbee beta2
dhcpcd-5.2.9-jemimah-patched.tar.gz (new)
xpupsay-1.2.1.tar.gz
frisbee_tray.tar.gz
wpa_supplicant-0.6.10

I haven't tested this much, good luck!

This is a note mainly for me, I configured dhcpcd like this:
./configure --libexecdir=/lib/dhcpcd --dbdir=/var/lib/dhcpcd --sbindir=/usr/sbin --libdir=/usr/lib64

jamesbond

#30 Post by jamesbond »

kirk wrote:I made a pet package for Fatdog64, it contains:

Frisbee beta2
dhcpcd-5.2.9-jemimah-patched.tar.gz (new)
xpupsay-1.2.1.tar.gz
frisbee_tray.tar.gz
wpa_supplicant-0.6.10

I haven't tested this much, good luck!

This is a note mainly for me, I configured dhcpcd like this:
./configure --libexecdir=/lib/dhcpcd --dbdir=/var/lib/dhcpcd --sbindir=/usr/sbin --libdir=/usr/lib64
Works good for me here, thanks kirk, jemimah. Posting this from my (usually troublesome) netbook with the wl driver. This is testing wireless with WPA connection. Haven't tested the wired connection yet.

kirk - I noticed you put the dhcpcd 5.2.9 back in?

Jemimah, is that a dependency for Frisbee? We used to have issues with dhcpcd 5.2.9 on Fatdog, kirk was forced to roll-back to version 3.2.3.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

kirk

#31 Post by kirk »

James,

Frisbee uses dhcpcd 5.2.9's hook scripts which 3.23 doesn't support. Dhcpcd 3.2.3 is still there and is lower in the tree so it will be used unless you specify the path. I think we had dhcpcd 5.2.9 fixed with the modification to /etc/dhcpcd.conf, but since we didn't use any of it's other features it seemed best to roll back to 3.2.3 with all of the Debian patches. 3.2.3 patched seems to be very reliable.

chapchap70

Trouble connecting to wireless network

#32 Post by chapchap70 »

Hi, I have only been able to connect to a wireless network sometimes with LuPu 5.1.1. and 5.20. I downloaded frisbee to see if the program would connect this laptop better. Hopefully, you can see my attached network files and it can tell you what my problem is.

The first time the default network program or frisbee is started, I see wireless networks. If I cannot successfully connect, there are no networks seen when I try again. I have been more successful connecting to an open network. (It is my inlaws and they know that I have been using it.) I have WPA-2 Network but Frisbee sees it as WPA. It showed one of my neighbor's networks as WPA-2 though. Our Wii, my wife's ipod, and Windows 7 can connect to our secure network, my only problem is Linux.

r1tz

#33 Post by r1tz »

Could you make an option to disable the splash? It gets annouying sometimes ;).

pemasu

#34 Post by pemasu »

r1tz. Uninstall xpupsay ?

r1tz

#35 Post by r1tz »

Ah, i know.

But adding such an option will be nice. So people can off it when doing stuff like watching a video.

jemimah

#36 Post by jemimah »

Yeah hopefully for the next release.

jpeps

#37 Post by jpeps »

r1tz wrote:Ah, i know.

But adding such an option will be nice. So people can off it when doing stuff like watching a video.
For some reason, I'm always thrilled to watch my wireless connecting all by itself.

jpeps

#38 Post by jpeps »

Writing from Guatemala, running Lupu from a pen drive connected to a laptop with nothing on it. Interesting that it connected to a local wifi by itself on boot without configuring anything. Problem was, it kept loosing the connection....so I installed Frisbee, which keeps it connected.

BTW/ It always surprises me how many otherwise computer savy people have never heard of running an OS from a pendrive.

chrismt

#39 Post by chrismt »

@ jemimah

Can you please add a disconnect and connect button?

Like this one in Pwireless

pemasu

#40 Post by pemasu »

Doesnt the enable wireless networking tick box do that ?