How to set up grub 2 to boot Puppy frugal install

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
its-me-again

How to set up grub 2 to boot Puppy frugal install

#1 Post by its-me-again »

hi i have written a tutorial that has worked for me. http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Grub2

If you have your own grub2 experience feel free to share yours here. and comment if you know i may have errors in my setup. but it does work for me.

HiDeHo

#2 Post by HiDeHo »

cthisbear

#3 Post by cthisbear »

its-me-again:

I posted there as well.

My menu is in the link....too big to post.

Opens as a zip file.

Thanks................Chris.

HiDeHo

#4 Post by HiDeHo »

Hi my grub 2 experiences are as follows.

many os use grub 2 not just ubuntu this is only a guide you may need to change thing if using a separate brub2 /boot partition or another os with grub2

I wanted to create a custom grub loader with all the puppy boot options in it. i do it this way so that the main grub2 boot screen is not 1000s of lines long as each puppy needs its own entries this makes it easier and less colcated doing things this way.

from my ubuntu install i did this

i created a config file with the options in my puppy linux folder.

/dev/sda3/Puppy520/grub2.cfg ( the entries for the puppy boot loader, may differ depending on the vesion of puppy, wary, lupu, dpup, lighthouse pup, etc may have there won custom entries for individual needs).

#This is a config file to get grub to boot puppy linux.
menuentry 'LUPUP 5.2.0 BOOT OPTIONS' {
insmod
set root
linux
intird
}
menuentry '01. Puppy Linux' {
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,3)'
linux /Puppy520/vmlinuz psubdir=Puppy520
initrd /Puppy520/initrd.gz
}
menuentry '02. acpi=off Default on for PCs >2001, may give boot/shutdown Probs' {
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,3)'
linux /Puppy520/vmlinuz psubdir=Puppy520 puppy acpi=off
}
menuentry '03. pfix=ram Run totally in RAM ignore saved sessions' {
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,3)'
linux /Puppy520/vmlinuz psubdir=Puppy520 puppy pfix=ram
}
menuentry '04. pfix=nox commandline only, do not start x' {
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,3)'
linux /Puppy520/vmlinuz psubdir=Puppy520 puppy pfix=nox
}
menuentry '05. pfix=copy coppy .sfs files to RAM (slower boot, faster running)' {
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,3)'
linux /Puppy520/vmlinuz psubdir=Puppy520 puppy pfix=copy
}
menuentry '06. pfix=nocopy do not copy .sfs to RAM (faster boot, slower running' {
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,3)'
linux /Puppy520/vmlinuz psubdir=Puppy520 puppy pfix=nocopy
}
menuentry '07. pfix=fsck do filesystem check on lupusave (and host partition)' {
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,3)'
linux /Puppy520/vmlinuz psubdir=Puppy520 puppy pfix=fsck
}
menuentry '08. pfix=clean file cleanup (simulate version upgrade)' {
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,3)'
linux /Puppy520/vmlinuz psubdir=Puppy520 puppy pfix=clean
}
menuentry '09. pfix=purge more radical file cleanup (to fix broken systems)' {
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,3)'
linux /Puppy520/vmlinuz psubdir=Puppy520 puppy pfix=purge
}
menuentry '10. pfix=<n> Number of save files to ignore (need to press e then type this commnad)' {
insmod
set root
linux
intird
}

(notice in the config file the first menu optoion is the title. clicking on it will not do anything. then option 10. the last option will also do nothing if clicked on).

2 I then went to /etc/grub.d/custom_40 and.added this. (you can also add the same entry to /boot/grub/custom.config if you have created one, this is mentioned in the initial link from its-me-again).

menuentry 'Puppy Boot' {
search --set --fs-uuid abff01f4-2fbd-498a-bbf3-480beb990594
configfile /Puppy520/grub2.cfg
}

(this option boots, points and loads the grub2.cfg file above). you will need to change the uuid to the one from your hdd where puppy is. then point to the config file

then in the ubuntu os open a terminal and run this. sudo update-grub and your done.

I find this a much cleaner way to do things and you then get all the boot options from the puppy linux os
Last edited by HiDeHo on Mon 19 Sep 2011, 22:51, edited 5 times in total.

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

As I get it then. You have Ubuntu as the main OS and then do frugal installs of Puppy.

Wich you had time and test if you could iso boot peppermint os using frugal boot of it's iso with an entry on the grub2

Just a wild suggestion. I trust that Ubuntu has formatted it to a Linux partition then. Ext3 or something?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

HiDeHo

#6 Post by HiDeHo »

nooby wrote:Wich you had time and test if you could iso boot peppermint os using frugal boot of it's iso with an entry on the grub2

Just a wild suggestion. I trust that Ubuntu has formatted it to a Linux partition then. Ext3 or something?
yes it is possible to boot from iso images directly although i have tried it in the past i forget how to do it now. i know that there are users in the #ouooylnux channels on freenode that know how to do that. just ask around and see what you come up with. then post your results here for the grub 2 users.

nooby

#7 Post by nooby »

Free node? sounds advanced but I take a look. I should install Ubuntu on some old computer so I can use it to do grub2 installs on usb.

That way I would get both worlds without contamining this modern computer with Ubuntu in full install. Thanks for your answer

HiDeHo

#8 Post by HiDeHo »

another thing to note is that you do not need to install the whole cd contents to hdd. just install intrid.gz, vmlinuz, and the puppy version .sfs. (you can also get these files if you mount the iso file for the puppy version). take these files and put them in a folder on the hdd i would lable the filder pup520 for lupu520. adn pup431 for puppy 431 etc. each folder needs the own setup.

i would also put my customised grub 2 file in teh puppy file being set up for the particular puplet you are using.

HiDeHo

#9 Post by HiDeHo »

nooby wrote:Free node? sounds advanced but I take a look. I should install Ubuntu on some old computer so I can use it to do grub2 installs on usb.

That way I would get both worlds without contaminating this modern computer with Ubuntu in full install. Thanks for your answer
grb 2 will work on usb but it is a bit big really and overkill when there si apps like syslinux.

for usb installs its better to try syslinux.
syslinux comes built into the puppy installer. and allows to install puppy to any flash drive.

also unetbootin is another tool that provides a gui for syslinux. it allows you to install any iso to usb easily. http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

and you an also just download the latest version of sysliux here. http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.ph ... ux_Project

nooby

#10 Post by nooby »

My poor English and my confusing way of expressing myself misled you badly.

I am using a NTFS formatted HDD and doing only frugal installs and syslinux does not boot iso on NTFS.

Only Grub2 does. You write that there are other os than Ubuntu that uses grub2.

Depends on how one use words. AFAIK there is almost exclusively only Ubuntu and OS made on the Ubuntu way of doing OS that uses grub2.

I doubt there is any other. They may not use the word ubuntu but they learned from ubuntu how to set it up and that is the only reason they have grub2? Who else would even bother with it if not Ubuntu was that dominating?

rjbrewer

#11 Post by rjbrewer »

nooby wrote:My poor English and my confusing way of expressing myself misled you badly.

I am using a NTFS formatted HDD and doing only frugal installs and syslinux does not boot iso on NTFS.

Only Grub2 does. You write that there are other os than Ubuntu that uses grub2.

Depends on how one use words. AFAIK there is almost exclusively only Ubuntu and OS made on the Ubuntu way of doing OS that uses grub2.

I doubt there is any other. They may not use the word ubuntu but they learned from ubuntu how to set it up and that is the only reason they have grub2? Who else would even bother with it if not Ubuntu was that dominating?
Grub is part of the GNU project.
Development of Grub2 began years before Ubuntu even existed.
It is used on other Linux os also.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

gcmartin

Menu.lst sample offered

#12 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks @HiDeHo and @Its-Me-Again

It appears that the syntax you show here for GRUB2 is same as would be used for GRUB4DOS.

So, I can/should assume that these 2 products are relatives.

Also, if anyone has a "working" menu.lst sample, please post. There is ENORMOUS potential for a working example of this. And, if you would, please show the folder layout in the fs for us as well so that we don't lose focus trying to guess what the author of the post intends. It would certainly help many of us to start off with a successful launch of booting any ISO from a menu.lst.

Thanks in advance.

nooby

#13 Post by nooby »

rjbrewer "It is used on other Linux os also."

You could have given an example. I trust that 99% of all such examples are based on Ubuntu. I am most likely the most confused linux user we have here but I read for years now DisroWatch and AFAIK or IIRRC there has not been mention one single distro using grub2 without being Ubuntu related in that they used Ubuntu and made a variety of it. so it would be very surprising to find one independent of Ubuntu distro that use grub2

why would them to to that length and get almost every linux user against them? Sure I can be wrong but none of you did give a name of the distros you guys thing about.

GCMartin.

Yes that is exactly why I have asked for the ability of Puppy to install puppy with grub2 like Ubuntu can do from within Ubuntu.

What one need is the ability to do frugal install of iso directly on NTFS so one are dualbooting with Ms Windows even if one never use Windows and that way if somebody want help with Windows then one still have it available and can help them over phone or visit each other.

James C

#14 Post by James C »

Here you go nooby, all of these distros use Grub 2....

The following distributions include grub version 1.98:
• AgiliaLinux: 8.0-beta3
• ALT Linux: Sisyphus
• APODIO: 8-rc5
• aptosid: 2011-01, 2010-03, 2010-02, 2010-01, 2009-04
• AriOS: 2.0
• ArtistX: 1.0
• Asturix: 3
• Aurora OS: 4-beta1
• Big Linux: 5.0-beta2
• BlankOn: 6.1
• Bodhi Linux: 1.0.0
• CAELinux: 2010
• CAINE: 2.0
• Càtix: 1.6, 1.5
• Comfusion: 3
• CrunchBang Linux: 10-20110207
• Debian GNU/Linux: testing, 6.0
• Linux Deepin: 10.12.1, 10.06
• DEFT Linux: 6.1
• Dragora GNU/Linux: 2.0
• Dreamlinux: 4.0-beta6
• EasyPeasy: 1.6
• Edubuntu: 10.10, 10.04
• Elementary OS: 0.1
• Epidemic GNU/Linux: 3.2, 3.1
• FreeBSD: 8.2, 8.1
• GnackTrack: R3, Final
• GParted LiveCD: 0.8.0-1, 0.7.1-1, 0.6.4-1, 0.5.2-9
• Greenie Linux: 8.1M, 7.1L
• Grml: 2010.04
• Guadalinex: 7.0
• iMagic OS: 10, Sho
• Joli OS: 1.2
• KANOTIX: 2011-03
• Karoshi: 7.0.2
• kademar Linux: 4.9.5
• Kiwi Linux: 10.08
• Kongoni GNU/Linux: 2011-beta2, 1.12.3
• Kubuntu: 10.10, 10.04
• Linux From Scratch: unstable, 6.8, 6.7
• LinuxTLE: 10.0-rc
• LliureX: 10.09
• Lubuntu: 10.10, 10.04
• Madbox Linux: 10.10.01
• Linux Mangaka: Moe
• MEPIS Linux: 11.0-rc2
• Linux Mint: 10, 9
• MoLinux: 6.2, 6.0
• Monomaxos: 5.0
• moonOS: 4
• Mythbuntu: 10.10, 10.04
• Netrunner: 3, 2
• Nova: 2011-beta3, 2.1
• NuTyX: 2009.4
• openmamba GNU/Linux: 2.0-pre4
• Parsix GNU/Linux: 3.6r2, 3.5r0
• Parted Magic: 6.0, 5.10
• Peppermint OS: One-01042011
• Pinguy OS: 10.10, 10.04.2
• Plop Linux: 4.1.0, 4.0.5
• PureOS: 3.0, 2.0
• Qimo 4 Kids: 2.0
• Qomo Linux: 1.0.0
• Resulinux: 3.1
• Runtu: 10.04
• Sabayon Linux: 5.5, 5.4, 5.3
• Sabily: 10.10, 10.04
• Saline OS: 1.3
• Skolelinux: 6.0.0-alpha1
• Source Mage GNU/Linux: grimoire, grimoire
• Super OS: 10.10, 10.04
• SystemRescueCd: 2.1.0, 2.0.1, 1.6.4, 1.5.8
• Toorox: 02.2011
• Trisquel GNU/Linux: 4.5, 4.0
• Tuquito: 4.1, 4
• TurnKey Linux: 11.1
• UberStudent: 1.0
• Ubuntu: 10.10, 10.04 LTS
• Ubuntu Rescue Remix: 10.10, 10.04
• Ubuntu Studio: 10.10, 10.04
• Ultimate Edition: 2.9, 2.7
• Vinux: 3.1, 3.0.1
• VLOS: 2.2-beta2
• wattOS: R3, R2
• Xubuntu: 10.10, 10.04
• Ylmf OS: 3.0
• Zentyal: 2.0-3, 1.5-1
• ZevenOS: 3.0
• Zorin OS: 4, 3

List is right from a search on Distrowatch.com.
http://distrowatch.com/

I personally don't use the buggy, beta mess, but all you wanted was the list. :) Hope that helps you.

nooby

#15 Post by nooby »

Thanks for the list but I did ask for those that was not Ubuntu. Many of these are based on Ubuntu.

Rather many. It is past 11PM here so I look into the list tomorrow.

How did you set up the search?

Have you actually read that their installer use grub2on NTFS HDD in frugal install loading their Iso or does the search just find the word grub2 in the review or something. I am very skeptical to that all of these mention would not be Ubuntu based and at same time using grub2 as installer and boot up after install.

They maybe can be booted by grub2 that is another thing I talk about that they exclusively use grub2 as their main way to install and boot just like the latest Ubuntu does. That is rare outside of Ubuntu inspired OS.

rjbrewer

#16 Post by rjbrewer »

nooby wrote:Thanks for the list but I did ask for those that was not Ubuntu. Many of these are based on Ubuntu.

Rather many. It is past 11PM here so I look into the list tomorrow.

How did you set up the search?

Have you actually read that their installer use grub2on NTFS HDD in frugal install loading their Iso or does the search just find the word grub2 in the review or something. I am very skeptical to that all of these mention would not be Ubuntu based and at same time using grub2 as installer and boot up after install.

They maybe can be booted by grub2 that is another thing I talk about that they exclusively use grub2 as their main way to install and boot just like the latest Ubuntu does. That is rare outside of Ubuntu inspired OS.
More likely debian based.....as is ubuntu!

Full installs

nooby

#17 Post by nooby »

If I get you then. The reason that Ubuntu adopted to use grub 2 was that Debian changed to grub 2?

Here is a typical google result supporting my take that it is Ubuntu that is the reason we have grub 2?

Dream Linux 4 beta 6.3 is using GRUB2 and GNU GRUB 1.98-1ubuntu7 version is known as GRUB2 only. You have to edit GRUB_DEFAULT line ...
www.linuxforums.org › Your Distro › Ubuntu Linux /quote

As you see despite Dream Linux claiming to be Debian it is placed in linux forums under Ubuntu and not under Debian. The reason could be that Ubuntu is seen as a Debian variety.

But as far as I know the complaints about Grub 2 was directed towards Ubuntu and not towards Debian. Could be that Ubuntu is so dominating that Debian got under the RADAR due to them having a 4GB distro and the beginners start with Ubuntu instead.

Crunchbang had grub 1 up until 2010 or so and if I get it started with it very recently late 2010 or early 2011.

quote CrunchBang Linux: 10-20110207 based on minimal Debian 2011-04-23 member snowpine says about CrunchBang Statler, as with most recent distros, uses Grub 2 by default./quote

I used Simply Mepis 2010 and where not aware of them being grub2 so could it be very recently them came out with a later version?

Take this one from Distro Watch. Support my take that distros with grub 2 are Ubuntu based:

Peppermint OS is an Ubuntu-based Linux distribution
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distri ... peppermint

Here is another distro from your list supporting my take that it is ubuntu based.
Kiwi Linux is a modified Ubuntu live CD for the i386 architecture.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=Kiwi

another example supporting my take that it is Ubuntu based. DW says
Tuquito is a Ubuntu-based distribution
another example that I am not totally wrong DW says

"TurnKey Linux is Ubuntu-based " and "Runtu is a Russian desktop Linux distribution based on Ubuntu."

I had it right about this one too DW says:
Ultimate Edition, first released in December 2006, is a fork of Ubuntu
I was right about this one too DW says:
wattOS is a fast desktop Linux distribution based on Ubuntu.
Qimo 4 Kids is a distribution of Linux, derived from the popular Ubuntu
But I was wrong about this one though :)
quote PureOS and PureOSlight are GNU/Linux live CDs based on Debian's testing repository. / quote

But I was right about this one DW says:
Pinguy OS is an Ubuntu-based distribution
and this one too
Peppermint OS is an Ubuntu-based Linux distribution
Super OS (formerly: Super Ubuntu) is a modified version of Ubuntu
I had it wrong about this one:
Toorox is a Gentoo-based live DVD which boots into a KDE desktop using KNOPPIX hardware auto-detection and auto-configuration technologies.
I was right about this one DW says:
Trisquel GNU/Linux is a 100% libre Ubuntu-based Linux distribution.
And this one DW says:
UberStudent ("uber" meaning "productive" in Latin) is an Ubuntu-based distribution

I was right about this one DW says:
Vinux is a remastered flavour of the Ubuntu distribution
I was right about
Zentyal ... runs on top of Ubuntu.
and this
ZevenOS is an Ubuntu-based GNU/Linux distribution
and this one too
Zorin OS is an Ubuntu-based Linux distribution

oops I was wrong about this one
AgiliaLinux is a Russian community distribution with roots in Slackware Linux
But how often do we talkk about that one here on our forum? :) and this one from Russia is independent too.
"ALT Linux" so I was wrong about them too.

I got Apodio right though, DW says " Apodia ... is based on Ubuntu."
and "Linux Deepin ... based on Ubuntu." and "DEFT (Digital Evidence & Forensic Toolkit) is a customised distribution of the Ubuntu live Linux CD" and " Guadalinex is a Linux distribution based on Ubuntu" and "Linux Comfusion (previously known as Uberyl) is ... an Ubuntu base system"
and "CAELinux is based on Debian, Ubuntu" and "CAINE (Computer Aided INvestigative Environment) is an Ubuntu-based GNU/Linux live distribution" and "Monomaxos is an Ubuntu-based distribution"

oops I got this one wrong
aptosid distribution is a desktop-oriented operating system and live CD based on the unstable branch of Debian GNU/Linux
and "Dragora Based on: Independent"
and obviously Knoppix and Kanotix is Debian but did we not all know this? :) "KANOTIX is a Linux distribution based on the latest stable release of Debian GNU/Linux." and this one me wrong:
"Càtix is a Linux live DVD based on Debian GNU/Linux"

And I sure was wrong about "NuTyX is an i686-optimised, French Linux distribution created from Linux From Scratch and Beyond Linux From Scratch, with a package manager borrowed from CRUX"

But I got this one right though DW says "AriOS is a user-friendly, Ubuntu-based distribution "

and this one "ArtistX is a Ubuntu-based bootable DVD "
what about this "Asturix is a desktop-oriented Linux distribution based on Kubuntu" and "iMagic OS is a commercial desktop Linux distribution based on Kubuntu." and "Big Linux is based on Kubuntu."

And DW says about Kubuntu this: "Kubuntu is a free, user-friendly Linux distribution based on KDE's desktop software and on the award-winning Ubuntu operating system."

And "Bodhi Linux is an Ubuntu-based distribution"
and "EasyPeasy (formerly Ubuntu Eee) is an Ubuntu-based distribution for netbooks"

and "Elementary OS is an Ubuntu-based desktop distribution." and "
BlankOn is an Ubuntu-based distribution"

Ooops "Grml is a bootable CD (live CD) based on Debian GNU/Linux."

But got all thes right DW says "Joli OS is an Ubuntu-based Linux distribution." and on this one too dw says "
Karoshi is ... based on Ubuntu. " and this "Madbox Linux is ... Ubuntu-based " and "Linux Mangaka is ... based on Ubuntu"
and "Linux Mint is an Ubuntu-based distribution" and "MoLinux is an Ubuntu-based Linux distribution" and "moonOS is a complete, Ubuntu-based distribution" and "Netrunner is an Ubuntu-based distribution" and surprise DW says "Nova is a user-friendly, desktop-oriented Linux distribution developed by the University of Computer Sciences in Havana, Cuba. In the product's early days the operating system was based on Gentoo Linux and Sabayon Linux, but starting from version 2.1 the developers have chosen Ubuntu as the base system." What woudl the Gentoo Fan boys say?

And LinuxTLE DW says "starting with version 8.0, the developers have chosen Ubuntu as the distribution's new base system."

"LliureX Based on: Debian, Ubuntu " and "GnackTrack is an Ubuntu-based distribution" and " Greenie Linux is ... based on Ubuntu

But I got this one wrong: "Epidemic GNU/Linux is ... based on Debian GNU/Linux." and this one but is it really fair to refer to a discontinued OS made for SPARK CPU? How many of us here use such? " * Based on: Fedor Architecture: sparc32 * Status: Discontinued" But sure I did not know that was not Ubuntu :) And the BSD you cited. I don't see BSD as part of the OS we talks about even if the use Grub2 but sure I was wrong there.

How many hours have I tried to give evidence that I as more right than wrong? Is it not fair to say that most of the distros on that list is Ubuntu based? I admit me was very wrong about Debian. I had not read up on their latest dev them got under my RADAR due to them very big to download distro. I was not aware of that Mepis had gone over to Grub 2 either. So sure seen from your perspective I was very wrong then :)

But is it not ironic that I actually asked on Puppy forum which distro apart from Ubuntu and TinyCore that could be used install Grub2 on a USB without using Ms Windows or Ubuntu CD due to my Computer have no CD and if they suggest TCL then they have to teach me to get grub2 on it which RobertS does not recommend one use.

I also asked if Knoppix could help me do it. So where where this long list then just a few weeks ago? :) I guess it is easier to get response if one say that this can not be done and then a lot of people tell me it can be done while if I ask help me get this done then few volunteer? Just friendly teasing.

So from this very big list of distros with Grub2 installers which one is most likely to be easy to set up in grub4DOS frugal booted on NTFS and then be used to install grub2 to my USB memory stick?

rjbrewer

#18 Post by rjbrewer »

You seem to be very confused about Dream Linux;

even Ubuntu doesn't list it as being a derivative.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DerivativeTeam/Derivatives

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distri ... dreamlinux

Full installs

nooby

#19 Post by nooby »

So out of the overwhelming list of me getting it right you found one thing you say me wrong about. How fair is that?

I wrote:

Here is a typical google result supporting my take that it is Ubuntu that is the reason we have grub 2?
Dream Linux 4 beta 6.3 is using GRUB2 and GNU GRUB 1.98-1ubuntu7 version is known as GRUB2 only. You have to edit GRUB_DEFAULT line ...
www.linuxforums.org › Your Distro › Ubuntu Linux
As you see despite Dream Linux claiming to be Debian it is placed in linux forums under Ubuntu and not under Debian. The reason could be that Ubuntu is seen as a Debian variety.

It was Linuxforums that placed it under the wrong headings. Them somehow thinking that it fits better under that heading.

See this part www.linuxforums.org › Your Distro › Ubuntu Linux
that is where they placed Dream Linux. I clearly said that

As you see despite Dream Linux claiming to be Debian I realize now that I should have expressed that one less ambiguously like this.

DW clearly say that Dream Linux is Debian and not Ubuntu despite this Linuxforums place it under Ubuntu.

So is there not good evidence that many do see think that grub2 is an Ubuntu thing. I am too lazy to find out if Debian was first with it and then Ubuntu mimicked Debian. Maybe they came up with it together? or in competition with each other.

What is fair to say that the huge list you presented when one look at the majority of them then Distro Watch do say they are Ubuntu based.

So let me repeat my question to you.

Which of all these linux distros can be frugally booted on NTFS HDD on an Acer D250 and then booted up and then using the grub2 installer to install a grub2 on the USB Flashmemory stick?

Chrunchbang is among the smaller isos. I tried for hours different boot options and ways to set up grub4DOS to boot chrunch on my Acer but failed and had to give up on it.

I do have Knoppix 6.4.3 booting though but have failed to find text that explain how one use it to place itself on an USB as grub2 boot.

I think it is the wrong version of Knoppix 6 I should maybe have 6.4.4 instead. So ti is not as easy as you imply with that very huge list.

You ahve still not explained how you managed to get that list. Why did it include all those Ubuntu varieties. I explicitly asked for examples that was not Ubuntu based and the majority of the list you gave was Ubuntu based. Even having that in the name too. Like Mythbuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu and Ubuntu too. And now you point out that I am confused about Dream Linux. I only gave an example that Linuxforums seems to place it under ubuntu. Why would they do that? They are not listening to any advice from me to they? So how did they came to that conclusion at all?

If Debian is the reason for Ubuntu to have grub 2 then why does very few get upset over Debian and so many get upset over Ubuntu using Grub 2?

rcrsn51

#20 Post by rcrsn51 »

@nooby: Please read here. However, there is no guarantee that it will work with anything but the standard Ubuntu's.