How to connect Lenovo laptop to ethernet?

trampintransit2

How to connect Lenovo laptop to ethernet?

#1 Post by trampintransit2 »

So, after many attempts I now have a bootable Puppy on a USB flash drive. Snag is if I plug it into my Lenovo laptop with Vista on it, and with a wired connection to my router...I just CANNOT get puppy to connect to the net. It just says it cant see a live network. Ive tried the autoload to load a module. I've no idea what to do if I need a ndiswrapper.?

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#2 Post by Béèm »

Don't you think it is important to report what puppy you use and what type of install you have?
Also the technical detail of your nic card will be important.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

trampintransit2

#3 Post by trampintransit2 »

puppy 5 , and i dont know how to find out anytthing about NIC cards..where do i look?

rcrsn51

Re: How to connect Lenovo laptop to ethernet?

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

trampintransit2 wrote:I've no idea what to do if I need a ndiswrapper.?
Ndiswrapper is for connection through Wifi. I'm surprised that Puppy can't connect through a wired ethernet port. What kind of Internet service are you using?

Also, what model is your Lenovo?

trampintransit2

#5 Post by trampintransit2 »

its a lenovo u350. in vista if i go to control centre-system and click on network adaptors it tells me..Broadcom.netlink(TM)Gigabit.ethernet, is that the NIC?. does that info help?
my internet service is a regular broadband down phoneline..do i need to interogate the router to provide more info?

trampintransit2

#6 Post by trampintransit2 »

in the vista drivers file, under broadcom ethernet driver, is a folder called Linux, therein lies;-
tg3-3.98f.tar.gz
tg3-3.98f-1.src.rpm
tg3-3.99d.tar.gz
tg3-3.99d-1.src.rpm
tg3_sup-3.98f-ISO.tar.gz

if one of these is whats needed , how do i tell which one and how do i install it?
Am i getting closer?

also apologies..it's puppy 3.01 on the stick, not 5

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

also apologies..it's puppy 3.01 on the stick, not 5
Then you need to get a much newer Puppy and try it.

trampintransit2

#8 Post by trampintransit2 »

ok, i downloaded what i thought was puppy 5.1.1, but turns out to be puppy 4.2 ?
Dont understand, the file is called lulu 511.iso, i thought it was puppy 5?
Anyway, 4.2 is now on a USB flash drive and boots on my Mint8 desktop and works fine.
If I use it in an XP desktop i just get 'no default or UI configurtion directive found'
but, and heres the real problem, on my Vista laptop it boots fine but cant find the NIC and strangely there are MUCH fewer choices of modules to load in the connection wizard, and certainly none of them are labbeled broadcom. It seems i have to use one of the bundled drivers as listed above but i don't know how to install them or which one to install?

tempestuous

#9 Post by tempestuous »

Well Puppy already contains the compatible ethernet driver; tg3
so installing a different driver is probably folly.

A Google search reveals this -
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=553024
which indicates that the "broadcom" PHY driver needs to be loaded before the tg3 driver will work properly.
The Puppy-compatible method of achieving this at each boot up is to add the following line to the end of /etc/modprobe.conf

Code: Select all

install tg3 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install broadcom ; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install tg3
trampintransit2 wrote:i downloaded what i thought was puppy 5.1.1, but turns out to be puppy 4.2 ?
Dont understand, the file is called lulu 511.iso, i thought it was puppy 5?
You are getting yourself in confused knots. The exact filename is "lupu-511.iso" and it's definitely Puppy 5.1.1
available here -
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... pu-511.iso

Perry Nium

#10 Post by Perry Nium »

tempestuous wrote:... the "broadcom" PHY driver needs to be loaded before the tg3 driver will work properly. The Puppy-compatible method of achieving this at each boot up is to add the following line to the end of /etc/modprobe.conf

Code: Select all

install tg3 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install broadcom ; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install tg3
Brilliant! Thanks, I used that with 5.2.5 today (from a USB install via LiLi in Windows) to get my Dell Optiplex working - Broadcom NetLink according to Device Manager. The original hardware scan hadn't worked very well, although I'm impressed with 5.25's setup from the desktop. Last time I tried puppy the setup was a series of text mode dialogues during boot up, this time it found my 1440x900 res and proceeding with the fine tuning from the desktop - nice!

Once I figured out how to edit the file and cut-n-paste that line in, and a big more jiggery-pokery dialling in my work's Proxy Server IP address, I finally got my pup online and installed Firefox. I feel like quite a hacker :lol:

Cheers, now if only I could get the Realtek HD sound working.......