Can't get Ethernet working from Acer Aspire One n450?

LordAllucard

Can't get Ethernet working from Acer Aspire One n450?

#1 Post by LordAllucard »

hi everyone i used to use Puppy Linux is a great distro is faster stable and now have a lots of packages i really love but now i install it to a netbook acer aspire one n450 but the problem is that i cannot get ethernet working so i don't have internet and i can even get online if someone knows a way to solve this problem plz help me :)

tempestuous

#2 Post by tempestuous »

You probably need the updated Atheros/Attansic atl1e ethernet driver, available for Puppy 5.1/5.2 here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 845#467845

nooby

#3 Post by nooby »

You could also try Puppeee and Fluppy and Snowpup all these three most likely have drivers for that small computer. I have Acer D250 with the older N270 but also a more recent D255 and that one works with most Puppy except say two or three out of twenty that does work.

So which puppy did you try? The Lupu most likely would work too? Wifi could be problem but usually Ethernet do work. Test to use the Simple Network Setup.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

dawnsboy

#4 Post by dawnsboy »

Ethernet is detected by the Frisbee network setup utility in Fluppy 013 running on my Acer Aspire One with N450 processor.

tempestuous

#5 Post by tempestuous »

... just to be clear; my suggestion was more than a "stab in the dark". The updated atl1e driver is definitely compatible with recent models of Acer Aspire One (older models require the Realtek r8169 driver).

If there's any further problem or confusion, LordAllucard should tell us the PCI ID's of the device in question by running this command -

Code: Select all

lspci -n

tempestuous

#6 Post by tempestuous »

... and since LordAllucard didn't bother to report the outcome, we can only reasonably presume that the updated Atheros/Attansic atl1e ethernet driver was successful.

Aitch

#7 Post by Aitch »

Another heap of thanks and praise, eh? :wink:

Aitch :)

nooby

#8 Post by nooby »

To give a friendly thanks is what I expect too.

Edit. To be fair to the guy. He gave thanks back in 2009 so he is friendly.
Maybe he has no access to the internet now and gave up on getting it?
Not everybody has friendly neighbors that lend out a computer so one can reach out. Hm
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

capoverde

#9 Post by capoverde »

Hi all, found this thread right now.

Just for info, my Aspire One D255 runs both LuPu525 and Spup100; but no way to get an ethernet connection with LuPu525, although it has the required atl1e (or atl1c) module, even loading it by hand.

On the contrary, Spup100 gets connected normally and works fine (the module declared by the connection wizard is the atl1c) -- *but* it doesn't seem to handle the Xorg-Hi driver to get better graphic card performance, as LuPu does.

With a MicroStar Wind U135, a netbook very similar to the D255 except for the Ethernet card and the touchpad, everything runs smoothly with LuPu525 plus the Xorg-Hi driver, and with pretty astounding performance (posting from it now).

BTW, if an external monitor is plugged in (running any Puppy), the AspireOne needs to keep its cover open or else even the external monitor shuts off, while the MSI Wind only shuts off its own display and all goes on normally on the external monitor. Nope, no BIOS settings to tinker with...

tempestuous

#10 Post by tempestuous »

capoverde wrote:no way to get an ethernet connection with LuPu525, although it has the required atl1e (or atl1c) module
If, by "required module", you mean the atl1c/atl1e drivers already contained in Puppy 5.1/5.2, then you misunderstand my earlier post. I'm referring to the updated atl1e driver for Puppy 5.1/5.2 available here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 845#467845
This driver supports an additional five device ID's not supported by the standard atl1c/atl1e modules.

capoverde

#11 Post by capoverde »

Gee, sure, I'm going to try that immediately. Thanks!

(Edited)
Downloaded and installed it in a few seconds, works like a charm of course. Thank you again Tempestuous.

Had previously installed the "Lucid525 Instant Update" and -- for no consistent reason -- expected it to solve also this problem! :oops:

Now my AOne can surf the Web with LuPu525: editing this with it. :D
My big gratitude to all helpers! Also to LordAllucard who opened the thread, which I spotted easily.

tempestuous

#12 Post by tempestuous »

capoverde wrote:Downloaded and installed it in a few seconds, works like a charm of course.
Thanks for the courtesy of telling us the outcome.
So we can now definitely say that the upgraded atl1e ethernet driver works with recent models of Acer Aspire One.