Arachne Browser

#1 Post by oui »

Hi

As suggered in this thread

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=27031

I did install Arachne on Querky 1.2, of course restarted in console mode

(Menu > Shut down >> exit to prompt)

And it goes!

svgalib don't proceed very good to the search of the good resolution for my screen, it goes into an excessive high resolution and the screen become completely black

but after Shift+Alt+F2 and Shift+Alt+F1 and CTRL C,
the screen of Arachne appears (only a little disturbed).

you can now enter F3 + the wished url so for example murga-linux.com/puppy/ and you are here!

and the screen is now really ok...

the only real problem seems to be

how to surf using keyboard

instead of mouse because the mouse don't really work (extremly slow and will only go to the top of screen)!

the TAB / Shift+TAB return to the last url.

what is the key to spring to the 1th, 2d etc. entry to try more?

quit with Ctrl+C!

restart with

Code: Select all

didiwiki &  :wink: 

arachne & 
very good:

this goes!

(= you can write and print out good formated texts with bold etc. and see them on the screen using didiwiki! best as all other commando line mode editors!) :idea:

It would be beautiful to make a one bone puplet without X but with the major utilities (install packages, install sfs, remaster puppy, command alsamixer and alsaplayer, imagemagick, cups, samba, etc.) in commando line style and a menu through an HTML in the graphical browser to remember and choice the utilities as in manner of a JWM menu :wink: !

i always install clex (I find it better than the big MC) from Debian

ImageMagick is strongly recommended.

I suppose that the svgalib would allow more (mplayer, feh or other picture viewer?)

I did pick following supplementary lib's (for arachne from http://www.glennmcc.org/aralinux/ and midori-0.2.9-i486.pet) in Debian lenny or spup:

- libgnutls.so.2
- libnotify.so.1
- librsvg-2.so.2
- libsqlite3.so.0
- libunique-1.0.so.0
- libvgagl.so.1
- libvga.so.1
- libx86.so

bye

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

I used Arachne while the Check dev still was at it later he sold it to a firm in England?

I was on Ms win3 or something or even on MsDOS? I remember I used Floppies. Arachne was cool indeed.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

oui

#3 Post by oui »

nooby wrote:I used Arachne while the Check dev still was at it later he sold it to a firm in England?

I was on Ms win3 or something or even on MsDOS? I remember I used Floppies. Arachne was cool indeed.
oh good

you can't remember the keys used instead mouse (as arachne is not really operable without correct mouse function I can't search in Arachne if there is a Arachne Manual or help in the installation!)?

nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

Sorry I don't remember anything other than it was very cool for it's time him being able to code it the way he did. Are thre no wiki or anything that explain such? no Help or Manual? Sorry I am too lazy to help you searching.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

ndujoe1

Arachne Browser

#5 Post by ndujoe1 »

Didn't know it was still around, amazing piece of work from a floppy drive.

anAF

Support community

#6 Post by anAF »

Hi,
you can find support for arachne here:
http://www.glennmcc.org/aqccc/trusted.php

The developers are very kind, and I think they'll help you to solve your problems.

Have you made a .pet of arachne, maybe?

Thanks!