Wary Puppy 5.1.1 Final

Please post any bugs you have found
zekebaby

Re: Pupsavefile corruption

#121 Post by zekebaby »

navegante wrote:wary-511-k2.6.32.28.iso Old Toshiba laptop, no hdd, 256mb ram, pendrive 4gb. Pupsavefile corruption trouble on usb install, (sound icon dissapaired, Alsamixer gives input/output error
Same sound problems I used to have. Try removing the entire /dev directory and rebooting - sound should come back.

wuwei

#122 Post by wuwei »

Hope this is the right place to put it:

I found a strange behaviour in Wary 511:

When using gdmap it crashes when I click on the "Open" icon top left.

Terminal has this to say:
# gdmap

(gdmap:18726): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Segmentation fault
#
Same happens when using treesize (after installing the pet).

Does anybody have an idea?

Frugal install, warysave file, on ext3 partition with grub.

cowboy

#123 Post by cowboy »

zekebaby wrote:
navegante wrote:wary-511-k2.6.32.28.iso Old Toshiba laptop, no hdd, 256mb ram, pendrive 4gb. Pupsavefile corruption trouble on usb install, (sound icon dissapaired, Alsamixer gives input/output error
Same sound problems I used to have. Try removing the entire /dev directory and rebooting - sound should come back.
zekebaby - thank you for your help on this. Do you mean that one should delete the /dev folder and its contents, or leave the folder and delete the contents? Didn't know if it would matter.

I hope your fix is incorporated into woof, and that is helps. It occurs in the recent spups as well. It is really, really, disappointing, and makes the releases difficult to use - about the time one gets everything set up comfortably, the sound disappears.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

sindi

wary 511 and lilo

#124 Post by sindi »

Puppy 4.31 retro 2.6.21.7 and 4.12 (pulp 0.1)
boot on everything with loadlin or lilo. As does
a non-retro Puppy 4.31.

Tinycore boots on everything with lilo but not with loadlin.

Wary 5.11 (with scsi and modem support, about 130MB) boots with lilo
on one 700MHz Toshiba laptop, but not on three desktops,
where "wary_511.sfs not found" whether or not I steer it
to the directory with append= in lilo.conf.
(Loadlin just reboots the computer).

I have vmlinuz and initrd.gz in a FAT32 /dev/hda1
and the .sfs file in /dev/hda6 ext2. Puppy 4 similarly.

It works from live CD on at least one of the desktops.

I used lilo from hd and fd. Anything else to try?

Lupu won't even boot from CD half the time. My desktops
are circa 2001-2002, the laptop around 1999.

zekebaby

#125 Post by zekebaby »

cowboy wrote:
zekebaby wrote:
zekebaby - thank you for your help on this. Do you mean that one should delete the /dev folder and its contents, or leave the folder and delete the contents? Didn't know if it would matter.
Sorry for not being specific . . . either method works. I just nuke /dev (folder and contents), but removing the contents and leaving an empty /dev would also work. Did it work for you?

cowboy

sound issue and deleting /dev/snd

#126 Post by cowboy »

zekebaby,

It did work in Wary 5.1.1, though I have yet to test it in spup 099. Thank you so much. Here is my winding process - tried to delete /dev/snd while up and running....no good, as there were hidden files in use that would not delete. So I rebooted as pfix=ram, mounted the warysave file, and deleted /dev/snd using rox. Upon reboot, the sound icon is back in lower right tray and sound is working on machine.

Note that I just deleted /dev/snd and not the entire /dev folder. I'd tried that in spup, and could not get it to reboot at all, so I was concerned about deleting everything in /dev. But I did it will the file was mounted so I'm going to try again, with the pfix=ram method, and see if it works.

Question - have you found this "fix" is persistent, or does the problem return after another four or five reboots?

Thank you very much!
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

cowboy

loss of volume in Wary 5.1.1

#127 Post by cowboy »

zekebaby,

I posted about this on the Luci release thread, but a fix rerwin did for some folks that had issues with black screen seizes with the 82845G Intel chip in Luci or Lupu had helped my issue with Wary 5.1.1 See here for rerwin's post, my response is on page 63 of the thread.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 982#507982

Not sure about your chip setup, but after doing a fresh savefile in Wary 5.1.1, and installing the fix above, I had been able to reboot 15 times without loss of volume. Continuing to test, and I have fingers crossed, but looks good right now.

EDIT: Rerwin's fix HAS stabilized Wary and Spup as far as my cranky chip and screen seizures. Sadly, after one more boot, Spup volume failed. (of course). However, deleting /dev/snd has worked in both Spup and Wary to return volume.
Last edited by cowboy on Sun 27 Mar 2011, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.

taca0

#128 Post by taca0 »

I need Help with Opera Browser .

I download the last version and extract and use it. But not detects the adobe and mediaplayer plugins only the java was detected.

How I resolve that??

Thanks!

zekebaby

Re: sound issue and deleting /dev/snd

#129 Post by zekebaby »

cowboy wrote:Question - have you found this "fix" is persistent, or does the problem return after another four or five reboots?
I don't know if this fix is persistent (my guess is no), so I basically delete /dev in /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy. I haven't had a sound failure since. BTW, sound chip is intel8x0

Terryphi

#130 Post by Terryphi »

taca0 wrote:I need Help with Opera Browser .

I download the last version and extract and use it. But not detects the adobe and mediaplayer plugins only the java was detected.

How I resolve that??

Thanks!
Which version of Opera are you using? One earlier version sometimes "lost" plugins.

First check which plugins Opera has found by going to Tools>Advanced>Plug-ins.

Next type opera:config in the address bar to open the Preferences Editor.
Search for plugins. Then Under Users Prefs>Plugin Path ensure that the path includes the path to your plugins. The most common path is /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. If you need to amend the path press save afterwards. Close the Preferences Editor and restart Opera.

01micko

#131 Post by 01micko »

EDIT, this problem is resolved and irrelevant
Last edited by 01micko on Sat 02 Apr 2011, 00:16, edited 2 times in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

broomdodger

wary511 small problems

#132 Post by broomdodger »

wary511 small problems

XF-Prot-virus-scanner
The dialog box has "Click the close-box..."
but there is no close-box available

glade-3.desktop is missing the ".png"
Icon=glade-3
should be something like:
Icon=glade-3.png

-Bill

cowboy

Re: sound issue and deleting /dev/snd

#133 Post by cowboy »

zekebaby wrote:...so I basically delete /dev in /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy.
zekebaby,

checked into that. ah, how would one go about doing that in the snapmerge? Opened it up, and saw some entries like that which had the # in front of them. Would appreciate any help. Gracias in advance.

Billtoo

Wary Puppy 5.1.1 Final

#134 Post by Billtoo »

Here's the Audacious music player, it plays audio cds too.

You will need to install all 4 pets for it to work.
Attachments
aud-scr.jpg
(68.43 KiB) Downloaded 607 times
libmcs-0.7.2-i686.pet
(12.91 KiB) Downloaded 515 times
libmowgli-0.7.1-i686.pet
(25.04 KiB) Downloaded 516 times

Billtoo

Wary Puppy 5.1.1 Final

#135 Post by Billtoo »

Here's the latest Midnight Commander file manager.

It needs the slang pet installed too.
Attachments
slang_DEV-2.2.2-i686.pet
(23.52 KiB) Downloaded 480 times

rcrsn51

#136 Post by rcrsn51 »

Resolved.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 02 Apr 2011, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#137 Post by 01micko »

resolved

Pnethood was failing due to slowness in my network (wireless distance from router issue). After about a dozen tries I was able to find my shares.
Last edited by 01micko on Sat 02 Apr 2011, 01:26, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

rcrsn51

#138 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is my experience with Pnethood and lamesmbxplorer. Because they have to search your network for shares, their speed is affected by how your network is configured (or misconfigured). OTOH, YASSM doesn't do the same kind of searching, so it's always going to be faster.

Billtoo

Wary Puppy 5.1.1 Final

#139 Post by Billtoo »

Who said wary is just for older computers?
Attachments
2monitors.jpg
(178.76 KiB) Downloaded 697 times

abushcrafter

#140 Post by abushcrafter »

With the QT animate setting enabled on things like menus. When running VLC Media Player and right clicking in the play-list. I find some times my mouse cursor gets changed to a circle with a line though it. Nothing responds to my clicks or keyboard presses or hot-keys but CTRL+ALT+Backspace does its job.
[url=http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/]adobe flash is rubbish![/url]
My Quote:"Humans are stupid, though some are clever but stupid." http://www.dependent.de/media/audio/mp3/System_Syn_Heres_to_You.zip http://www.systemsyn.com/